Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Rear console cigarette lighter in EG?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 01:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear console cigarette lighter in EG?

I had an idea that I'd like to wire up a rear console cigarette lighter in my EG so that back seat passengers could plug in their cell phones, etc. A quick search of this forum and google yielded nothing. Has anyone here attempted this? I know I'd need to run wires from the front console back to the rear... no big deal. I'm more worried about finding a way to make an inlaid hole in the rear console so it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

BTW, I'm talking about where #19 goes in this illustration. I kind of doubt there's enough room to work with to put the lighter *inside* the ashtray itself. I've got the larger armrest console, so I'm thinking if I can cut a hole just above the rear ashtray, I could fit some kind of insert and OEM cig lighter in there somehow. Ideas?

Old 06-24-2013, 03:09 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 221 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Re: Rear console cigarette lighter in EG?

Instead of the center console ash tray, why don't you just use a "unibit" and drill a hole above that location (if you have the #16 4dr center console)? You can tap into the circuit of the factory cigarette lighter to power it.
Old 06-24-2013, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There was a thread a few days back where a guy had a nice 2 USB port lighter he was setting up in an HOP Audio console. You might consider that rather than a normal lighter plug/power outlet.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
Instead of the center console ash tray, why don't you just use a "unibit" and drill a hole above that location (if you have the #16 4dr center console)? You can tap into the circuit of the factory cigarette lighter to power it.
Yea, i have the #16 rear console from a 4dr. I was already planning on tapping into the already existing cigarette lighter circuit. The unibit thing isn't a bad idea. At least to get the thing started. I'll likely have to shape it, by hand, with a dremel. Ideally, I'd like it to look something like this little edit of the illustration (see attached pic) when finished. I'll see if I can pick up an appropriately sized insert of some kind off an Integra or something today while I'm at the junkyard. The goal is to make the thing look like something Honda would have done. i.e., OEM styled.
Attached Images  
Old 06-24-2013, 12:30 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

FYI, the block-out plate from the back of a 6G Civic armrest is a perfect fit for where the ashtray goes on the 5G Civic. So, gives you the option of not drilling holes through the original armrest.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by deschlong
FYI, the block-out plate from the back of a 6G Civic armrest is a perfect fit for where the ashtray goes on the 5G Civic. So, gives you the option of not drilling holes through the original armrest.
Ah, interesting! So i can give up the rear ashtray altogether for the sake of not altering the console. Decisions, decisions...