Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Radiator size question

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator size question

When I turbo charge my d16y8 will i have to install a half radiator or can I use a full size? I have the 96 ex engine in. 91 Si hatchback. I'm going to replace the radiator either way. Just curious if the intercooler can fit with a normal size or do I have to make space with a half size. I already have a traction bar installed to make extra space. No a/c in the way either. Thanks
Old 09-12-2015, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't gotten a lot of feedback on my last couple inquiries. I also sent a pm and got no response......

Am I asking retarded questions or something? Lol. I thought that I wasn't and I've seen some super dumbass questions on here get bashed relentlessly. I've read faq's and other threads. I've Googled old threads. I don't see that my inquiries are out of line. I was under the impression that this forum was for some of us understudy especially to learn from knowledgeable honda guys. I grew up on sports not cars but I've pieced together some knowledge and I continue to learn. I'm fascinated with the Honda culture and am glad I decided to become involved. But I just don't seem to get feedback lately and I wonder if I'm using the forum incorrectly or something. I can't fix what I don't know is broken. If any guru's have an opinion they are more than welcome to post or even pm me. I'm trying to get a feel for this site but I feel like fish out of water.
Old 09-12-2015, 12:16 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Re: Radiator size question

I dunno maybe its the weekend and people are out doing things and you just posted about 3+ hrs ago. So wait for feedback. Getting a half size dual row with proper shroud and fan will work. If you don't have ac than go full size with proper shroud and fan
Old 09-12-2015, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the response. And I was also referring to a post from two nights ago. I also sent a pm a couple days ago with no response. I guess I'm just trippin on getting my car fixed right. I'm sure there are a **** ton of people asking questions on this forum that I haven't really taken into consideration. Lol.

That's good to know that I can put a full size radiator in if I don't have AC. I've seen a couple of setups that come with dual shroud fans and I would prefer to go with that. The setup I bought it with is a full size radiator and only one fan and it is aftermarket and doesn't create a lot of air. I'm actually wondering if that may not be part of my problem if not all of my problem.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Heard anything about yonaka products? They sell a full size with dual fan shroud and fans for $199. I know they make a goof muffler. Lol.
Old 09-12-2015, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also wondering if I'll need to run another set of wires for the second fan or can I splice into the existing?
Old 09-12-2015, 05:17 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<p>I've already told you why you aren't getting answers.</p><p>
Originally Posted by NotARaCist
</p><p>91 Civic belongs in the subforum for 91 Civics, or the hybrid subforum.</p><p>
</p><p>Subforums exist for a reason. &nbsp;Rather than using proper subforums, you just keep posting in here, which defeats the entire purpose of the forum having subforums. &nbsp;The first few times, it was just the wrong chassis. &nbsp;Now, you're going even further off the correct path. &nbsp;You're asking an FI-related question, about an engine installed in a 4G chassis, in the 5G/6G section. &nbsp;Come on, man. &nbsp;Wise up.</p><p>You don't need a full sized radiator. &nbsp;You need a quality radiator, fan, and shroud (none of which Yonaka are). &nbsp;You don't need to run new wires. &nbsp;I also know you didn't actually read the FAQ stickies, because if you had, you would have easily found this thread in the FI FAQ sticky.</p><p>https://honda-tech.com/forced-induct...2A%2A-3062009/</p><p>&nbsp;</p>
Old 09-12-2015, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My apologies. I did read some faq's but not that particular one. Nor did I see it when I Googled. But admittedly I sometimes skim through stuff. And the technical questions I put related to my motor I have been putting under the Honda and Acura specific technical questions model years 92 - 2000 civic and del Sol. This is the section designated on the garage Talk app. So dude I'm completely not understanding why a d16y8 question doesn't apply. I'll do some more research and see if I can't figure out what the **** I'm doing. Lol. Thanks for your time.
Old 09-12-2015, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And I guess I shouldn't have assumed that the hybrid engine swap section would only be questions related to issues due to swapping in one engine into another chassis. And when you sent me that information the first time I guess I was just on information overload because I don't think it even registered. Lol
Old 09-12-2015, 09:49 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

del sol dual core oem style for a cheap half size
Old 09-13-2015, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How much modification will it require to mount a del sol radiator into a 91 hatchback chassis? It doesn't seem like it'd be difficult but I've never replaced a radiator. Skunk2 makes a direct fit half radiator for 88-91 civic but I have to order a fan shroud separate.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

By the way I realize I'm on the wrong forum now but I didn't want to repeat myself on a new thread. So if you'd like to pm me I can just stop posting here.
Old 09-13-2015, 08:29 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont think its THAT big of a deal. similar engine, etc... just a cable trans. there are a ton of write ups, just search "half core radiator in ef" or something like that. youll need to move a bracket over, that's about all.