Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

question about throttle body size?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question about throttle body size?

i have a 00' SI with I/H/E, Ctr camshafts and aem cam gears. i'm looking into getting an Edelbrock intake manifold, the Performer X, and i'll probably buy an edelbrock throttle body as well. my question is what size should i get if i plan on boosting but not anytime soon. because getting one too big would loose low end HP right? thanks.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:26 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: question about throttle body size? (lamboextreme)

65MM IMO
Old 01-03-2007, 03:46 PM

Default Re: question about throttle body size? (SkoundrelUSA)

what size is the stock one?
Old 01-03-2007, 04:02 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you plan on boosting in the future? b/c if not the edelbrock victor x is not for you. I'm running a 12:5:1 cr gsr with jun 3 cams and i ran the victor x and it killed my top end. I lost 13 whp. The larger plenums are idea for HIGH *** revs and boosted cars. Save your money pick you up a blox intake manifold and a nice 65mm throttle body
Old 01-03-2007, 04:12 PM

Default Re: question about throttle body size? (Jimmy)

i'm buying a performer X not a victor X, I read in their website that Victor X is for 7000 to 10000 RPMS and preformer X are more for 4500 to 8200 RPMS
Old 01-03-2007, 06:25 PM

Old 01-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Global Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lamboextreme &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'm buying a performer X not a victor X, I read in their website that Victor X is for 7000 to 10000 RPMS and preformer X are more for 4500 to 8200 RPMS</TD></TR></TABLE>

Okay, well still why not try to save money? I know it's personal prefrence.. A 65mm throttle body can be had for like 120.00 shipped. And BLOX intake manifolds are like 159.99 shipped. And you will see No major different in HP, it's all in tuning. It will still be very good quality ****. just Let me know if your interested.. I can link you to the sells or just hit up the sponsor forum. Goodluck
Old 01-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

How far into this build do you plan on going? The Performer X is great for All motor but only if you build it. Its more or less performer X then ITBs. I recommend a ported ITR intake manifold with a 65/68mm throttle body. Those are good for mild builds.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:18 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jimmy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Okay, well still why not try to save money? I know it's personal prefrence.. A 65mm throttle body can be had for like 120.00 shipped. And BLOX intake manifolds are like 159.99 shipped. And you will see No major different in HP, it's all in tuning. It will still be very good quality ****. just Let me know if your interested.. I can link you to the sells or just hit up the sponsor forum. Goodluck</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have a friend that has a Skunk throttle body and he's having a lot of problems with it because it sticks.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Luserkid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">How far into this build do you plan on going? The Performer X is great for All motor but only if you build it. Its more or less performer X then ITBs. . </TD></TR></TABLE>

i don't get this part, i eventually plan on adding a turbo and if i have enough money work on the internals so i can add more boost. at first when i add the turbo without internal work to the engine I'll probably won't pass 250 whp because i heard the sleeves can't handle more than 300 hp by a shop and if i have more money and work on the internals I'll probably try and get as close to 400hp.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Got a question?

My friend works in a junk shop (brandywine md). I get all civic parts basically free, is there any difference if I put a b16 throttlebody in my d16(stock) also will it fit on easily?. its only a couple of dollars but just wanted to get some opinions
Old 01-04-2007, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: question about throttle body size? (jclamor87)

I had the skunk2 throttle body and it was crap, always sticking. Ive read alot of people were having that problem as well. It was only there Pro series i think they fixed it now. But i would go with BDL.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lamboextreme &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i don't get this part.......</TD></TR></TABLE>

What i meant was its the level of manifold advacement i would go with an all motor car (which i thought you were doing). Its more of a personal opinion but alot of others feel the same. Heres my order from lowest to best for a B seires.

stock
skunk2/blox/obx
ported ITR (depends who and how the porting was done)
Performer X
ITBs

For turbo depending on your goals and how much your boosting depends on the setup. For starters i would go with a 70mm now and the Victor X manifold. If your even thinking of going to 400 hp that will help you and save you money in the long run.

My lineup for Turbo manifolds

stock
skunk2/blox/obx
Ported ITR
venom
Performer X
str
full race
Victor X

Again my personal opinion on the line up.
Old 01-04-2007, 04:15 PM

Default Re: question about throttle body size? (Luserkid)

thanks for your opinion. if i buy a 70 mm throttle body won't i loose low end HP until i boost? but i'm thinking i just might buy it that size becuase 65mm cost more than 70mm.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:14 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can make plenty of power on the stock tb and manifold. wait until AFTER you have the turbo to upgrade these parts. otherwise you will lose power until you do boost.

your stock internals can support 300-350whp with the right turbo and good tuning.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:34 PM

Default Re: question about throttle body size? (doood)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by doood &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you can make plenty of power on the stock tb and manifold. wait until AFTER you have the turbo to upgrade these parts. otherwise you will lose power until you do boost.

your stock internals can support 300-350whp with the right turbo and good tuning.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this guy from a shop said that he tried and every time he broke over 300 whp the sleeves would crack. also wouldn't 350 whp be too much on the engine for a daily driver in terms of reliability?
Old 01-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Global Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lamboextreme &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a friend that has a Skunk throttle body and he's having a lot of problems with it because it sticks.

i don't get this part, i eventually plan on adding a turbo and if i have enough money work on the internals so i can add more boost. at first when i add the turbo without internal work to the engine I'll probably won't pass 250 whp because i heard the sleeves can't handle more than 300 hp by a shop and if i have more money and work on the internals I'll probably try and get as close to 400hp.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't say anything about a skunk throttle body?
Old 01-04-2007, 07:05 PM

then what brand? if skunk that is a very recognized brand has problems I'm pretty sure cheaper ones will have too. and my car is a DD so I'm trying to keep it as reliable as possible
Old 01-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dont buy an str throttle body.

i have an str 68 mm on mine...sticks
Old 01-04-2007, 08:36 PM

Default Re: question about throttle body size? (92ehatch)

thanks for the heads up
does anybody here have an Edelbrock throttle body, if so does it stick?
Old 01-05-2007, 12:56 AM
Global Moderator

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lamboextreme &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">then what brand? if skunk that is a very recognized brand has problems I'm pretty sure cheaper ones will have too. and my car is a DD so I'm trying to keep it as reliable as possible</TD></TR></TABLE>

Man quit assuming ****, people have problems out of products but not all products are defective.

I'm running this throttle body and have had 0 problems, just like everyone else posted in the thread.. and like i said they can be had for like 125.00 shipped from a LEGIT seller. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1624626

Same thing applies with the BLOX intake manifolds.. also coming from a legit company
http://prostreetonline.com/buy...olds/

Old 01-05-2007, 12:35 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: question about throttle body size? (92ehatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lamboextreme &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">this guy from a shop said that he tried and every time he broke over 300 whp the sleeves would crack. also wouldn't 350 whp be too much on the engine for a daily driver in terms of reliability?</TD></TR></TABLE>

so i guess the numerous people on this board who make those numbers on stock internals are just really lucky? like i said, you need GOOD tuning.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:17 PM

Default Re: question about throttle body size? (doood)

does anyone know the size of the stock TB?