Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question about header-wrapping. Yes, i did my research....

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about header-wrapping. Yes, i did my research....

I'll soon be getting a comptech SS header for my d16y8. I know about the dangers of wrapping mild-steel and ceramic coated headers. They're are a lot of posts about cracks, rust, and rot. I've read them all, and i don't need to hear them again. I'm just asking for educated advise. Now, if i were to wrap the header, this is what i would do:

Only wrap the primaries, making sure not to get very close to any welds.
Only wrap the top half of the header--(allow bottom to breath, not melt the cat)

So...Should i wrap it?

I know a lot of people swear by jet-coating, hot-coating, but i can't afford it right now. Consider my options to be: only wrapping, or not doing anything.

Thanks!
Old 08-28-2003, 01:50 PM

Default Re: Question about header-wrapping. Yes, i did my research.... (AntiRice Superstar)

No point in wrapping it....i wouldnt waste my time
Old 08-28-2003, 01:54 PM

Default Re: Question about header-wrapping. Yes, i did my research.... (Eyewitness)

ya I wouldn't bother wrapping it then, if you are just going to wrap half of the header.

Use that money to save for some coating. I hear it does wonders compared to wrap.

IMO.

Old 08-28-2003, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: Question about header-wrapping. Yes, i did my research.... (AntiRice Superstar)

Don't wrap it...

Paint it with some high temp ceramic coating spray paint...

That'll work a little...

shiny reflects heat
dark retains...
Old 08-29-2003, 02:57 AM
I forgot more about hondas then you will ever know....

Location: hop,skip, and a jump from the city,, new friggin york, USA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by AntiRice Superstar &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I'm just asking for educated advise. </TD></TR></TABLE>

well, i graduated from high school, with a few college credits, is this ok?
you should do some research in regards to wrapping your header. i wrap mine (toda) and it reduces underhood temps signicantly, BUT at a price. the header has cracked twice on me. all of this depends on what you do with the car. my car is a race car, that sees only limited street duty (to and from local events). if your car is your daily, and depending on where you live (salt,sand etc) you might not want to do this. to be honest, most average folk do not need jet-hot or wrapping for that matter. sorry if this confused you, but hopefuly it shed some light on your situation.
Old 08-29-2003, 09:30 AM
D Tranny Guru

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wrapped my ceramic coated Stillen Header 6 years ago.........

Only place it is rusting, is where it bottomed out during a off road "event".......

Old 08-29-2003, 10:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about header-wrapping. Yes, i did my research.... (NonovUrbizniz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by NonovUrbizniz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">shiny reflects heat
dark retains...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not trying to pick on you but your wording is a little off.

If you want to prevent someting from absorbing heat you paint it silver or light colored. If you want it to absorb heat you paint it a dark color.

If something is already hot (like an exhaust manifold) light/silver colors cause it to retain heat and dark colors cause it to reject more heat.

I just did this with my turbo. I painted the exhaust manifold silver and everything after the turbo black.

I wouldnt bother with the wrap, just paint em silver if they arent already shiny.
Old 08-29-2003, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about header-wrapping. Yes, i did my research.... (Mighty)

dark colors both absorb as well as retain heat...

Anything light will cool down faster than something dark... regardless of the source of heat...

I did experiments on this in science class y0!
Old 08-29-2003, 08:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about header-wrapping. Yes, i did my research.... (NonovUrbizniz)

I may be wrong in my ways but I'm pretty sure some of you guys are a little confused about the effects of colour and heat.

Dark objects do absorb more heat than lighter objects, but this is in regards to light energy (ie. the sun). When you compare a white object to a black object, which are both placed in the sun, the white object reflects all the different colours (energy wavelenths) and therefore reflects the heat. The black object absorbes all the different energy wavelenths (colours) and therefore absorbes the heat. A coloured object, for example, would reflect all energy wavelenths except the wavelenth of the coresponding colour (ie. red object reflects all colours except red and therefore appears red).

I'm pretty sure that colour had no baring on the absorbtion of radiant heat such as hot exhaust gases. Even if there was still some burning air/fuel mixture as the exhaust pulse moved though the header, coating the outside would have no effect.
Old 08-29-2003, 08:38 PM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

rap that ****
Old 08-29-2003, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Question about header-wrapping. Yes, i did my research.... (joe_bocc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by joe_bocc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I may be wrong in my ways but I'm pretty sure some of you guys are a little confused about the effects of colour and heat.

Dark objects do absorb more heat than lighter objects, but this is in regards to light energy (ie. the sun). When you compare a white object to a black object, which are both placed in the sun, the white object reflects all the different colours (energy wavelenths) and therefore reflects the heat. The black object absorbes all the different energy wavelenths (colours) and therefore absorbes the heat. A coloured object, for example, would reflect all energy wavelenths except the wavelenth of the coresponding colour (ie. red object reflects all colours except red and therefore appears red).

I'm pretty sure that colour had no baring on the absorbtion of radiant heat such as hot exhaust gases. Even if there was still some burning air/fuel mixture as the exhaust pulse moved though the header, coating the outside would have no effect.</TD></TR></TABLE>

^yup exactly what he said.
Old 08-29-2003, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wrap it if you have the cash...
Old 08-30-2003, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about header-wrapping. Yes, i did my research.... (joe_bocc)

You may be right... the tests we did envolved heating by the sun... however the sorce of heat would not affect the sample's disapation of that heat... the black metal ALWAYS stays hotter longer... depending on how you look at it that may be a benifit (to prevent cracking from fast cooling).

however 2 things...

Like azcivic said... it's the other way around... colored things reflect ONLY the color you see... the absorb the rest.

And

At least in reference to interior white ceramic coatings... they DO prevent absorbtion of heat... I have seen a couple of tests done on jethot coatings and the like... they spent a LOT of money trying to formulate a white coating (apparently the hardes to do) because it had much better heat reflection properties.