Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question about C551 connector for EJ6 Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about C551 connector for EJ6 Sedan

Ayy, haven't posted to tech in a while.

I have a 99 Civic LX Sedan Autotragic, stock powertrain. I'm trying to install heated seats into it, because I want to fill in those stupid empty slots on the center console. They're just begging to be filled full of hard plastic.

I have just about everything I need for a relatively OEM install, as I've been trying to follow deschlong's write-up on his EG. I just had a question about where to put wires, or rather, what pins go to what fuse.

The diagram above says that, on connector C551, I should tap into pin 9 for fuse no. 2, for the high side of the relay's power input. Then tap into pin 16 for fuse no. 17 for the low side power input. But when I looked at my fuse box, and the panel that tells me where **** is:

Fuse no. 2 isn't used. I'm good with that then, I suppose. But then I saw fuse no. 17 is already occupied by the Heater/AC Relay. I figure, "Well I can still use fuse 18, because there wasn't a fuse there, and USDM cars don't come with running lights." But the only issue there is that I don't know what pin on the connector goes to fuse no. 18.

If anything else is unclear, I'd be happy to elaborate. I appreciate any help!
Old 01-25-2015, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Question about C551 connector for EJ6 Sedan

I don't think heat seater's were an option for 96-00 Civics. Where'd you get the posted circuit diagram?

Old 01-25-2015, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
I don't think heat seater's were an option for 96-00 Civics. Where'd you get the posted circuit diagram?

Ah, thanks! It's an option on the 98-00 Acura 1.6EL, which is pretty much the same car with extra options, as far as I'm aware. I got this diagram in pdf format from deschlong's write-up. It includes a LOT of useful info.

I also searched a few different terms on Google to try find a few connector pinouts for a 97 Acura 3.0CL. I got a bunch of weird stuff. But I was wondering, where do you find this stuff? I figure it'd be on ALLDATA, but i don't have that at home. But if I know where to find it, I won't have to bother the tech forums as much with wiring questions. Thanks Ron!

Edit: I just looked at the top and bottom of the diagram pages. It seriously says ALLDATA like, everywhere. Silly me.

Last edited by sidewayz2013; 01-25-2015 at 12:06 PM. Reason: I'm a silly foo.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sidewayz2013
Ah, thanks! It's an option on the 98-00 Acura 1.6EL, which is pretty much the same car with extra options, as far as I'm aware. I got this diagram in pdf format from deschlong's write-up. It includes a LOT of useful info.
The wiring diagrams for the Civic and Acura EL will be different so you'll need to find equivalent power and ground sources. For example the Civic and EL connectors C551 are clearly different. There are option slots in the dash fuse box for power sources. See the FAQs sticky.

You can find downloadable service manuals if you Google search.

Last edited by Former User; 01-25-2015 at 01:39 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The wiring diagrams for the Civic and Acura EL will be different so you'll need to find equivalent power and ground sources. For example the Civic and EL connectors C551 are clearly different. There are option slots in the dash fuse box for power sources. See the FAQs sticky.
Alrighty then. I didn't look at the back of my fusebox yet, so I didn't know they were different. Good to know!

I'm also already using the option slot for IG2, for my Fog lights. Could I use two things on it? I'd really not like to overload it and blow a fuse.

Or I could ohm things out and see what isn't being used that I could connect. There's few options. I love electrical.

You can find downloadable service manual if you Google search.
Funny, I Googled and found a thread on clubcivic where you actually pointed out where to download the service manual. I'd imagine you tell a lot of people where to get this. I can see why you'd get frustrated when they don't listen.

I found my info around the page 350-370 area. Thanks RonJ!
Old 01-25-2015, 01:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by sidewayz2013
I'm also already using the option slot for IG2, for my Fog lights. Could I use two things on it? I'd really not like to overload it and blow a fuse.
Should be okay, but each wire should have its own separate in-line fuse. Note also that you need a seat heater relay.
Old 01-25-2015, 01:57 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Relays, a switch, proper gauge wiring...it's a fun project. I did it on my car a while back, if you need help with wiring, drop me a line. Hopefully you aren't trying to make the EL OEM wiring work.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:00 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

fuse 17 is use to enable the relay, wouldn't want your heated seats functional without the key. Using fuse 2 is fine as there is nothing there. Only problem is locating that wire that leads to fuse 2 or you can get and inline fuse directly to the relay.
Old 01-25-2015, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
fuse 17 is use to enable the relay, wouldn't want your heated seats functional without the key.
The dash fuse box IG2 Option slot by definition only gets voltage when the ignition switch is in ON(II).

The dash fuse box also has a Battery (B+) Option slot for the constant voltage side of the relay.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Should be okay, but each wire should have its own separate in-line fuse. Note also that you need a seat heater relay.
I got a seat heater main relay. I pulled as much OEM stuff off the 3.0CL as I could, as well as proper colored wires (for the most part).

Originally Posted by NotARacist
Relays, a switch, proper gauge wiring...it's a fun project. I did it on my car a while back, if you need help with wiring, drop me a line. Hopefully you aren't trying to make the EL OEM wiring work.
Yup, electrical is my favorite automotive subject! And duly noted, Ill letcha know if I have any issues. If anything, the hardest thing is probably gunna be either installing the old CL pads, or depinning and repinning wires into the fuse boxes.

Originally Posted by tony_2018
fuse 17 is use to enable the relay, wouldn't want your heated seats functional without the key. Using fuse 2 is fine as there is nothing there. Only problem is locating that wire that leads to fuse 2 or you can get and inline fuse directly to the relay.
Yup, I figure. I actually looked on the service manual that Ron pointed out, searched that hoe good, and found how the wiring goes through the fuse boxes. I found I could use the under-dash fuse slot 18, normally for DRLs in Canada, because its empty right now. I know the pin for that one. Then I can use either, slot 45 or 49 on the under-hood fusebox, because in the service manual, it says neither of those are used, but they're both connected directly to the battery. Id just have to ohm out the pins to figure out where to repin the seat heater main relay high side power wire. (YEL/BLK)
Like I said, my favorite subject

The dash fuse box IG2 Option slot by definition only gets voltage when the ignition switch is in ON(II).

The dash fuse box also has a Battery (B+) Option slot for the constant voltage side of the relay.
If I wasnt already using the IG2 slot for my Fog light relay, I would use it. I also thought about soldering another wire on there but I thought, "I'll probably be using both at the same time, at some point. I'd really not like to blow a fuse and have to rewire."

So, I won't take that risk for now. I know the fuse box has unused slots, so until I run out of those, I'll use them.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:11 AM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Some of you (incl. OP) aren't reading my diagram properly. I note ON THE DIAGRAM which pins to use from connector C551 at the fuse box. Yes, you can spin your wheels looking for alternative ways to wire it up, or you can use the way Honda did it originally.

If the 97-00 1.6EL C551 is called something different on the 96-00 Civic, then use the equivalent connector, whatever it's called. But the pins locations to use will remain the same on this connector since both cars share the same fuse box. Yes, you'll need to add a 20A fuse to slot 2.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:21 AM

You can find downloadable service manuals if you Google search.

While technically correct, there is a LOT of stuff that is the same. And, by the looks of the diagrams that Ron posted, C551 is in fact identical. I don't have all my reference materials at hand, currently, though. But, notice how pins 9 and 16 aren't used. This is where you plug in your WHT/GRN and BLK/YEL, respectively. I still recommend ohm-ing out these spots on the fuse box with a multimeter to test between the fuse and these pins to ensure they are connected, to double check.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:40 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by deschlong
Some of you (incl. OP) aren't reading my diagram properly. I note ON THE DIAGRAM which pins to use from connector C551 at the fuse box. Yes, you can spin your wheels looking for alternative ways to wire it up, or you can use the way Honda did it originally.

If the 97-00 1.6EL C551 is called something different on the 96-00 Civic, then use the equivalent connector, whatever it's called. But the pins locations to use will remain the same on this connector since both cars share the same fuse box. Yes, you'll need to add a 20A fuse to slot 2.
Sorry bro, I knew what he was doing but he started a new thread. I didn't fall back on your thread.
Old 01-27-2015, 07:51 AM

Update: Check pages 10-9 and 10-13 of the 96-00 Civic ETM. This is where the answers to your questions lie, and confirm my original diagram.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: Check pages 10-9 and 10-13 of the 96-00 Civic ETM. This is where the answers to your questions lie, and confirm my original diagram.
Yup, the service manual pointed me there. (Are they the same thing?)
And I figured out all my connections, now I just gotta find time where my damn friends dont always need rides...
Old 01-27-2015, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And, by the looks of the diagrams that Ron posted, C551 is in fact identical.
This point could be cinched up by you posting the connector pin out diagram for C551 from the 1.6EL and comparing it to Civic connector C551 in post #2.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:56 AM

After some poking around, it turns out I'm actually using Civic nomenclature for the EL, and that's why the connector nomenclature matched, probably because I didn't (and still don't) have access to the EL ETM (I annotated that diagram a long time ago).

It's called C559 on the EL, according to this page, but it is the same fuse box 16-pin connector C551 as the 96-00 Civic. Service manuals or really any kind of info like this for a 98+ EL is pretty thin. There is a 1997 EL service manual available, but it doesn't have the seat heater wiring info since this feature was introduced in 1998.

I should actually revised my diagram to distinguish between the two, not that there will be many people retrofitting heated seats into an EL, but I guess on principle I'll do it.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh okay, that was a little strange seeing C551 being a 2P connector, and the diagram telling me to plug into pins 2 and 16. Grassy-***.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:42 PM

Good luck and I'm anxious to see the final product!