Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question about Aftermarket Steering Wheel, SRS light, and Passenger Airbag

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2006, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Aftermarket Steering Wheel, SRS light, and Passenger Airbag

I did a search for "srs"; didn't find an answer that covered the funtionality of the passenger airbag as a result of cancelling the SRS light after installing an aftermarket steering wheel.

My questions are:

After installing an aftermarket steering (without airbag), would I be able to cancel the SRS light? (from my research so far, "yes", but I just want to confirm)

After cancelling the SRS light, will the passenger airbag function normally in the event of a collision? I'm concerned that somehow by cancelling the SRS light to ignore the lack of airbag on the driver's side, the passenger airbag will be ignored.

Thanks in advance for any insight. Any leads to step-by-steps are greatly appreciated.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:40 PM
NooB

Default Re: Question about Aftermarket Steering Wheel, SRS light, and Passenger Airbag (!xobile)

just pull the bulb out behind the cluster that way the passenger will still work.
Old 01-23-2006, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about Aftermarket Steering Wheel, SRS light, and Passenger Airbag (EJ8 DAVID)

yeah i read that on another thread. the reason why i don't want to do that is because if there was a real problem with the SRS system i would want to know about it. pulling the bulb would negate that.

thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-24-2006, 05:05 AM

Default Re: Question about Aftermarket Steering Wheel, SRS light, and Passenger Airbag (!xobile)

relocate the stock Driver side airbag under the driver seat. You will need to extend the wiring harness to the seat. Now your good to go.

Sorry, you couldn't resist. Good question though. You might check the resistance across the airbag terminals. Maybe a resistor accross the air bag wire harness will "fool" the SRS Brain. Fooling the SRS Brain is the only solution I see to get the results you want, problem is, I don't know how to fool the brain.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Question about Aftermarket Steering Wheel, SRS light, and Passenger Airbag (BryanPendleton)

hahaha. maybe relocate the driver airbag under the passenger seat for when the broad starts to yap.

yeah. fooling the srs system is where i'm stuck....