Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Question: '00 Civic Coupe - What holds the back panel in place?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2005, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question: '00 Civic Coupe - What holds the back panel in place?

I'm trying to access the 6x9 speakers in my 2000 Civic coupe. I figure you have to remove the plastic panel behind the rear seats.

I removed the three baby seat strap point bolts, and pushed the larger circular white plastic clips from the inside of the trunk. I pulled out the side panels beneath the rear windows, but something is holding the plastic cover in place.

Is there a bolt or clip that I might be missing that is holding this cover in place, or should I apply some more force with it?

Any help is appreciated.

Also - is there maybe another method to access and change the 6x9s without removing the rear plastic panel below the rear glass?

Old 11-27-2005, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Question: '00 Civic Coupe - What holds the back panel in place? (.::miLan)

I tried all sorts of ways to access my speakers without taking everything apart, but to no avail.
It sounds to me like you need to remove the seat lock trim ring, if understand your post. the white things you refer to, do not need to be popped out to get the deck out of the car.

anyhow this is what I did today to my 98 DX coupe (which i assume should be the same process as yours)... this is to the best of my memory...

1) fold down rear seats

2) passenger side seat back -- remove carpet (popping out those round plastic things) from passenger side only of seat back and remove two 10mm bolts from each side (4 total). work seat back out from between hinges. for the hinge, remove 12mm bolt, remove the hinge, taking care to note positions of washers.

3) driver side seat back -- remove the two 10mm bolts on driver side hinge. remove hinge on passenger side (the one that sits in the bracket between the two seats). take note of washer/bolt positions on each. then remove the driver side seat back. remove remaining hinge.

4) remove bolt on rear of bottom seat cushion (10mm?) -- (mine was missing). lift rear of seat cushion first. there is a metal clip in the front of the seat so you have to lift the rear and slide it toward the back of car a bit.

5) for each side panel, remove a bolt that is under the pocket and 2 plastic clips that were covered by the seat back. gently pry the side panel from where it meets the door (it wraps around there) and then pry outward to remove. do both sides.

6) rear deck - pry up seat lock trim ring (can do this by hand)

7) pry up rear deck from where the seat backs touch it (this part kind of clips around the metal of the deck). once that is free, pry upwards to release plastic retaining clips. pull deck toward front of car. reach under and disconnect third brake light (i couldn't get the harness to unclip, so i just gently removed the bulb all together).

8) at this point you should be able to take the deck out and access the speakers.

9) reassembly is the reverse but note this -- getting the deck in, solid without rattles requires some patience to make sure all those clips lock in. the deck *slides* into them, so it is a bit of trial and error. it took me a few tries. there are a few white round clips back by the rear window that need to be inserted into their metal holes before putting the deck back in. you need to slide the deck in, locking those *plus* the two tabs on the outer edges of the deck (those lock into the plastic that covers the C pillar). you can push down on the deck and see if they are all locked in. i found it nearly impossible to see if they were and had to take a few test drives to test for rattles before putting the interior back together.

anyhow the above is what seemed to work for me. hope this helps