Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Quakerstate syncromesh

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quakerstate syncromesh

I have a grind in 3rd as of today. I've read good things about GM synchromesh in honda tranny's. I'm just wondering with the quakerstate synchromesh (same part number as the GM product) will i notice the grind gone right away? or will i have to drive a couple 1000 miles for the grind to fix itself?
Old 07-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Quakerstate syncromesh (djollymore)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djollymore &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a grind in 3rd as of today. I've read good things about GM synchromesh in honda tranny's. I'm just wondering with the quakerstate synchromesh (same part number as the GM product) will i notice the grind gone right away? or will i have to drive a couple 1000 miles for the grind to fix itself?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Depending on the degree, the grind doesn't always fix itself...but it should be pretty fast, it's not like there's nano-machines repairing it over time, it simply lubricates it better.

Looks like it's time for a trans tear down. You can give it a bit to sink into every possible nook and cranny, but the results speak for themselves .

EDIT:
PS: I never used quakerstate syncromesh, though sometimes the GM syncromesh works - other times it doesn't, depends how serious the damage is.

You do realize that adding the syncromesh isn't a fix to the problem...more-so a cover-up band-aid until that gear finally takes a ****.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quakerstate syncromesh (Syndacate)

Yeah i know, thats all i want right now I'm in the process of getting an LS/vtec in the car so i don't want to rebuild the d series tranny. if it gets worse or goes before i get the LS-v in i know a guy selling aa freshly bult LSD si tranny for a killer price. thanks though.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djollymore &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah i know, thats all i want right now I'm in the process of getting an LS/vtec in the car so i don't want to rebuild the d series tranny. if it gets worse or goes before i get the LS-v in i know a guy selling aa freshly bult LSD si tranny for a killer price. thanks though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Blah, I'm assuming NS is a typo for ND?

If you were closer I'd have taken that old D off ur hands - been dying to get involved with a tranny - seriously tho - got a lot to learn about them... ...the car trannies...
Old 07-24-2008, 04:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Quakerstate syncromesh (Syndacate)

haha your **** outta luck B&gt;C it is NS ...nova scotia canada.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:16 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Theres a guy in brookfield, his name is scott, he's got a ton of civic parts for sale, he's probably got a d-series tranny cheap, i see his stuff on the halifax kijiji site all the time, i bought my rear disc swap and power mirrors from him, never had any trouble dealing with him.
Old 07-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So your 3rd gear grinding just started up one day? Might wanna look into a torn mount or might even be a clutch issue.

Trying to fix a grind by adding "additives" is just a band-aid and won't fix the problem more than likely.

GL!
Old 07-24-2008, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blk92_d16)

thats what i though it was but i just put a brand new clutch ind that diagnosed the synchro issue i might even have my hands on a full b16a2 swap for 1500$ so things are looking good ....and to the other reply i'm looking for a rear disc swap right now my buddy sold his ex-v i was going to snag it off or him but it was too late. How can i get ahold of this scott guy?
Old 07-24-2008, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (djollymore)

Just a FYI, quakerstate is a subsidiary of penzoil both of which recycle oil products. this is no good for anything but a cheap way out and bigger problems down the road so if I were you I would stick to other oils and gear lube. just my 2 cents.