Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Push Button ignition question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push Button ignition question

I did some searching around, and I found some stuff on how to install push button ignitions like the one that Ignited makes but nothing really helped me out, I want to have the ability with my car to go completely keyless, I have keyless entry already and when I saw the button at first, I thought it would be kinda cool... but after I got reading I learned that you still had to have the key in the ignition and in the ON possition, before the ignition button could work... my thoughts on that, is whats the point?

so I got thinking, would there be any way to crack open the ignition, and hook some wires up to a switch that I could flip on and off that would simulate having the key in the on possition? if anyone knows where I could find some diagrams and pictures to look at for wiring purposes, it would be a big help, I have a Helms manual on the way and if I can find everything I need in there, that'd be cool...

I know some people are probably going to flame this... RICE RICE... yeah... well.. I know its not going to make my car any faster, its just me putting a personal customized touch on my car.. so save yourselves the typing.... I KNOW...

to all those with constructive input, thanks in advance
Old 11-15-2004, 10:57 PM

Default Re: Push Button ignition question (raynaud)

either you want to learn how to "hot wire" a car or you want to make it easier for a thief to steal your car.

Old 11-15-2004, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Push Button ignition question (untitledsn41)

where I live is by no means a high crime area... and for saying that my car is probably being stolen as i'm typing...

and yes, essentially I would be "hot wiring" the car...
I'm just curious to know if anyone else here has dug around in those wires and stuff that I'd need to get at
Old 11-16-2004, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes you will need the key in the on position and yes the Helms manual has a diagram of the ignition switch and the wires are labeled so it should be easy.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:18 PM

Default Re: Push Button ignition question (jeffsciv23)

right... but like I said.. I'm trying to eliminate the key all together... just switches and buttons...
Old 11-16-2004, 04:22 PM

need the key to unlock the steering wheel
Old 11-16-2004, 05:01 PM
11:11

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I wired up my demolition derby civics ignition like your talking about . If you were to do it, you'd need two switches, one to switch your car in the "on" possition, and one to flick the starter on, then off once started.

The switches will be big, unless you have a relay controlled by smaller switches.

I don't see the point in this though for a daily driver, but if you're going to do it that's your choice.

Modified by smithenhiven at 6:12 PM 11/16/2004
Old 11-16-2004, 06:58 PM

Default Re: Push Button ignition question (smithenhiven)

I sent an instant message to the guy above, my question now, is are there going to be 2 switches and a push button like the ignited one? because thats how I interpreted what he wrote, I always pictured in my head one switch and a push button...

Old 11-16-2004, 07:10 PM

I believe he meant one switch to have it in the ON position, and another to engage the starter. So one switch (i would use a multi lvl switch so you can have it on ACC too and have radio etc on w/o other accessories) to turn it ON, and a button or switch to start. If i were you also, i would get either a club, or reconnect the colum lock from the key, to a hidden electronic switch (might be hard) so your car is harder to get stolen. and if you REALLY wanna fancy it up, go w/o door handles (may be a prob in MI, cooolddd ) But yeah, that should work and just make sure you have a super awesome security system w/ like feul pump shut off, ECU shutoff, etc, clutch lock, and other **** to make sure nobody will steal your car. Essentially, you are trading about 50 switches (exaturating) for a keyless car
Old 11-17-2004, 04:42 AM
11:11

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Push Button ignition question (Apocolipse269)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Apocolipse269 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I believe he meant one switch to have it in the ON position, and another to engage the starter. So one switch (i would use a multi lvl switch so you can have it on ACC too and have radio etc on w/o other accessories) to turn it ON, and a button or switch to start. If i were you also, i would get either a club, or reconnect the colum lock from the key, to a hidden electronic switch (might be hard) so your car is harder to get stolen. and if you REALLY wanna fancy it up, go w/o door handles (may be a prob in MI, cooolddd ) But yeah, that should work and just make sure you have a super awesome security system w/ like feul pump shut off, ECU shutoff, etc, clutch lock, and other **** to make sure nobody will steal your car. Essentially, you are trading about 50 switches (exaturating) for a keyless car </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, that's what I meant. I used a switch to engage the starter, but you can use a push button switch to do that.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:42 AM

Correct me if im wrong, there is a Pivot unit thats with an anti theft feature, i was thinking of install it. i have no idea. a friend said key need to be in place as well..so
Old 11-17-2004, 09:07 AM
rpr

I did this in my race car. I used three toggle switches (ACC, IGN1, IGN2) and a momentary push button. Plus I removed the column lock. Well, actually I removed the whole ignition from the column to the roof above the mirror. I don't remember the specifics, but I just followed the wiring diagram for the ignition cylinder and went from there. I probably could have used 1 or 2 multi-pole switches, but I used fairly heavy gauge wire so it would have been a bit cramped...