Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ignition Question? EM1 Stolen

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ignition Question? EM1 Stolen

dudes stole my car lastnight...didnt make it out of my apt complex luckily
thank god I have that thing on LOCK with every kill switch and lock I could think of
cost me $400 to get if from the tow yard and back to my house.

Issue I have now is putting the ignition back together. Ill post pics in a minute about these little black pieces because I dont know where they go or if they belong in my car.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ignition Question? EM1 Stolen

Originally Posted by Modell
dudes stole my car lastnight...didnt make it out of my apt complex luckily
thank god I have that thing on LOCK with every kill switch and lock I could think of
cost me $400 to get if from the tow yard and back to my house.

Issue I have now is putting the ignition back together. Ill post pics in a minute about these little black pieces because I dont know where they go or if they belong in my car.
you will need to purchase a ignition switch column lock assy.
not the electrical portion unless they busted that.
The assembely you will be looking for is the one with the break of bolts that attach the assy. to the steering column.
The **** cylinder can be installed into this unit unless the theives ruins this also.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the black pieces were pieces to the wiper relay, which is broken.
just have to order the ignition lock assy part.
My key will go into the assy but I cant turn it, I take it that means it is ruined?

Now my tranny is having trouble changing gears and exhaust sounds quieter.
I am going with the tow truck might have bent my exhuast and shift linkage...gotta wait till I get the time & $ to fix everything. I am too busy with school.

Got a description from my neighbor who called the police.
College Park, MD area be on the look out for
-Tall, long pony tail, Asian

other than that I have to go the junkyard to get some minor interior pieces, more alarm sirens (because they took one of mine), re-wire other alarm siren, vacuum piece they broke (idk what its called sits in corner of engine bay next to clutch reservoir), wiper relay, re-wire fog lights because they cut those wires, and fix exhaust/tranny issue. Got a summer project.

Till then I will be using my school shuttle.

luckily they didnt cut any wires on the ignition.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by beecee18
you will need to purchase a ignition switch column lock assy.
not the electrical portion unless they busted that.
The assembely you will be looking for is the one with the break of bolts that attach the assy. to the steering column.
The **** cylinder can be installed into this unit unless the theives ruins this also.
thanks for the advice.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when you go to local dealership to sorce parts bring in what remains of your assy. including your key so they can determine if the cylinders good or not,
cause the only way it should be busted is if they jimmy's it with a screwdriver and funked up the tumblers, ect.
And they will also be able to tell exactly what you need, cause its hard to tell, it all depends on how nice he was to the car during the theft.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

THANKS FOR THE INFO! I didnt know I could remove the tumbler part.

Got a new ignition from the junkyard, wiper switch & Relay, plastic trim pieces, and vacuum piece under hood for $79.00. Got it all installed with my key tumbler in the new ignition lock assy.

Now to get more time to lift the car to see whats going on with the trans. or shift linkage. damn thieves
Old 05-01-2012, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

THANKS FOR THE INFO! I didnt know I could remove the tumbler part.

Got a new ignition from the junkyard, wiper switch & Relay, plastic trim pieces, and vacuum piece under hood for $79.00. Got it all installed with my key tumbler in the new ignition lock assy.

Now to get more time to lift the car to see whats going on with the trans. or shift linkage. damn thieves
Right on brotha,
glad to hear you still got her, and good shopping skills,
I still havent figured out what im gonna do to prevent my em1 from being stolen when finished
Old 05-02-2012, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Brandywine auto in MD best pick & pull yard and best prices around my area.

Im sure you already have kill switches and a alarm (w/ backup battery).

Best advice I was given was to have layers.
Thus multiple switches, relays, hidden alarm, hidden horns, reroute hood cable, master lock steering column, etc

My next investment is going to be a boot, not the cheap autozone boot either. One that covers the lugs and everything.

But if the thief wants it bad enough they will get it just the layers will slow/deter them from getting away.

Im kinda glad I didnt have the masterlock on the steering column because I would be replacing that too lol.

Also with the alarm make sure your wires for the sirens are tucked away so they cannot be easily snipped. They only cut one of my sirens (the typical one on the firewall) but they couldnt reach the one siren tucked away with the wires inside wireloom with other engine wires, nor did they get the one inside the car.

It definitely paid off for me to invest soo much time, labor, and money into my security.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Brandywine auto in MD best pick & pull yard and best prices around my area.

Im sure you already have kill switches and a alarm (w/ backup battery).

Best advice I was given was to have layers.
Thus multiple switches, relays, hidden alarm, hidden horns, reroute hood cable, master lock steering column, etc

My next investment is going to be a boot, not the cheap autozone boot either. One that covers the lugs and everything.

But if the thief wants it bad enough they will get it just the layers will slow/deter them from getting away.

Im kinda glad I didnt have the masterlock on the steering column because I would be replacing that too lol.

Also with the alarm make sure your wires for the sirens are tucked away so they cannot be easily snipped. They only cut one of my sirens (the typical one on the firewall) but they couldnt reach the one siren tucked away with the wires inside wireloom with other engine wires, nor did they get the one inside the car.

It definitely paid off for me to invest soo much time, labor, and money into my security.
Thanx for the info