Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Project Update: Turbo Built B17 - fire'n her up this week!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project Update: Turbo Built B17 - fire'n her up this week!

Well its been 2 years of waiting and wasting $$ but my project is almost ready to run on the streets.
For those of you who arent familiar here is a quick rundown:

Engine: 92 GSR B17A1
Crowler Rods
Arias Pistons @ 8.5:1CR
Sleeved and O-ringed
PYR Alumnium Racing Head w MASSIVE PnP
Chevy Big Block Valve Springs
Ti Valve Retainers
Stock Camshafts?

98 GSR Hydro Tranny
Clutchmasters Stage 2 clutch
OBX LSD
Stock Flywheel

Drag T3 Turbo Kit
Spearco FMIC
HKS SSQ BOV
Greddy Turbo Timer
Tial 38mm Wastegate w dumptube @ 0.6bar spring
Walbro 255 Fuel Pump

Hondata s200b with 2step and launch control

3" Kteller Mild Steel Exhuast
-------------------------------------------

So its been a looooooonnnnggggg asssssss summer waiting for this thing to be road ready. Dropped her off 6/22/05 and she has been in the garage all summer. Its been mostly money issues but now the engine is in the car, all ready to go. Turbo kit is being installed this week and the only thing im waiting on now is my ECU back from THE MAN Steve Sakai who is doing my hondata tuning.

After i get the ecu back pending that startup goes off without a hitch i will be driving the car promptly up to Steve Sakai's in VA to get it dyno tuned. I dont have the $$ for a boost controller so i will be running off the spring (8.7psi) for the break-in drive to NY.

I'm hoping to get around 250whp or more on 8.7psi but wouldnt be upset if i got more . I will be posting my dyno results sometime next week so make sure to keep an eye on this thread!

Comments welcome! This thing has been a long time coming (bought the engine in 2003)

Here is the car shes in:

Old 08-20-2005, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Project Update: Turbo Built B17 - fire'n her up this week! (turbotime)

Beautiful car, great setup. Hope it runs well... tuning tuning tuning...

i'd like to add some for OEM fogs, rota's, and the whole sleeper look. did you spray the intercooler?
Old 08-20-2005, 03:14 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Project Update: Turbo Built B17 - fire'n her up this week! (keemosaki)

Thats h0t.

Good luck with the start up this week. Let us know how it goes.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by keemosaki &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Hope it runs well... tuning tuning tuning...
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-21-2005, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys! yeah im keepin her sleeper style, got the IC painted jet black... only thing im doing to the exterior is maybe an M3 style rear trunk lip and getting it all repainted STi Black.

Thanks for the comments ill keep everyone posted on how she starts. Im *hoping* to run big boost at the track, something in the range of 20psi with *hopefully* 420whp+... i guess well see soon enough

+
Old 08-21-2005, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (turbotime)

any other pics of the engine set-up?
Old 08-21-2005, 09:03 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (dohcVTECeg2)

Congrats, man . That looks like a killer setup. I just have one question: why such low compression? I would've gone with 9.5 : 1 personally, but hey, it's built and you can push a lot of boost through it on 8.5 : 1. Maybe you're a safety nut .

Seriously though enjoy the fruits of your labors. You've earned it.
Old 08-21-2005, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

gah i wanted to get some pics but all the sheeze is in the shop (Hell yes Ben Schaeffer is the man)... gonna be pic whor'n it up after its all in.

Ends up the turbo i got was so busted *** that i had to get a new one- they sent the turbo out for rebuilt but the turbine had literally dug into the inside of the exhuast housing so now i got a brand spanking new turbonetics t3/t4
Old 08-21-2005, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Congrats, man . That looks like a killer setup. I just have one question: why such low compression? I would've gone with 9.5 : 1 personally, but hey, it's built and you can push a lot of boost through it on 8.5 : 1. Maybe you're a safety nut .

Seriously though enjoy the fruits of your labors. You've earned it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks alot bud! Yeah its been a long time coming and i have had to drive a 84 f150 all summer while the car is setup. Actually i bought the engine built so it just is 8.5:1 purely becuase of that.

Also if i wanted to change it would be difficult cause it s a b17- hard to find parts for this engine . And I am a safety nut and this is my first turbo so i want to be sure i can run massive boost and not worry as much about detonation or anything .

Gonna be hell driving 8.5:1 up to VA on no boost lol itll be like what 100whp maybe?