Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

problems trying to get warranty work through dealer

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems trying to get warranty work through dealer

I recently bought a 2000 civic ex. It is a 5 speed with 29000 miles on it. Since the day I got it I have had problems with the tranny grinding going into 2nd and 3rd gear at high rpm's. I took it back to try to get it fixed under factory warranty, and they said that any civic tranny would do that under fast high rpm shifting. Also, when downshifting into 3rd, it grinds. I have read that this is a pretty common problem in the civic, but I know it shouldnt do it. Before I got this one, I test drove 2 others which had more miles on them, and neither of them grinded going into 2nd or 3rd, they would actually bark the tires. I told the dealer this, but he didnt want to listen.
Does anyone have any advice on how I can get them to actually fix the tranny instead of giving me the run around?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:02 PM

Default Re: problems trying to get warranty work through dealer (slammin86)

Have you tried going to a different dealer?
Old 08-04-2003, 03:04 PM
Premium Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

call your regional honda representative and complain about that dealership. dont lte it slip, keep hounding them. IT GRINDS ALREADY FIX IT! some how i doubt honda made a transmission that supposed to grind at high rpms!
Old 08-04-2003, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

go to another dealership. i work at a nissan dealership and i am in charge all warrenty claims. honestly if you car is still under standard warrenty they shouldnt denie your business. it doestn cost them money. honda pays that back to them
Old 08-04-2003, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slammin86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I recently bought a 2000 civic ex. It is a 5 speed with 29000 miles on it. Since the day I got it I have had problems with the tranny grinding going into 2nd and 3rd gear at high rpm's. I took it back to try to get it fixed under factory warranty, and they said that any civic tranny would do that under fast high rpm shifting. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That dealer is full of it. My car has 143k on it and doesn't grind on any of the shifts, even when shifted quickly at redline under full throttle acceleration.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for all the help so far. I know they are full of it, because i have done some searching and this seems to be fairly common problem. that is the only honda dealership where i live, so taking it to another person is out of the question. it is still under the factory warranty till october, is there any thing i can do to make it mess up faster so that they have to replace the tranny?
Old 08-04-2003, 06:07 PM

Default Re: (slammin86)

mess up faster?? slow down grasshopper
you may need to take a road trip, find another dealership
Old 08-04-2003, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there are no other dealerships less than 2 hrs away
Old 08-04-2003, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (slammin86)

lets not try to be too nice..the are full of ****...a new or used car with only those miles on it shouldnt be doing any of that ur describing

as someone said..take it to the next level..but first tell the salesmanager or if the owner is available, tell him/her what u plan to do

ive had this kinda crap happen to me in the past and going to the next level usually helps

really..if all honda s had this problem would u think so many of them are sold?..they are full of **** and u can tell them i said it

hondas ur dealership *full of *****
Old 08-04-2003, 06:46 PM
I to Smooch Pickle

here's a great way to get them to do what you want.. just grind the **** outta yr tranny.. till its literally undrivable.. where u cant even go into first or 2nd gear. but remember.. grind the tranny hard.. but dont blow yr clutch in the process.. (well.. i guess you can do that too if you like). That way, when you tow it to them, and say it's not drivable anymore. .they have no choice but to give you a new transmission. muahahahah..... but only do it if u hate the dealership.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:49 PM
I to Smooch Pickle

Default Re: problems trying to get warranty work through dealer (mingchi69)

and blow your motor while you're at it. That'll show em..
Old 08-05-2003, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: problems trying to get warranty work through dealer (mingchi69)

Well, it turns out that i am not covered under the factory warranty. Apperantly the origional buyer of the car ( the one who had it before me )
was in the military and in germany at the time the car was bought, so the car was actually bought in germany. Then he had the car imported into canada, then into the us. They are saying that i am not covered under the warranty unless i take the car to germany. This doesnt make sence.
Old 08-05-2003, 03:29 PM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

yea just try a diff dealer...i went to the dealer around here and they tried bsing me saying that they were gonna charge me because i didnt maintain the car properly(i.e. oil changes) i was like wtf...what does oil have to do with the tranny...also i even bought an extra warranty for 1500 and they still didnt want to pay that...what i did was i threatened to sue and they said they would fix it..also i looked up service bulletins on my car and found out their were a few for it..and one of the bulletins included synchro problems...so i printed that out...printed out comments of similar complaints and when i left after they said they would pay..i threw about 10 pieces of paper in the guys face and said here ******* read this
Old 08-05-2003, 03:32 PM

Default Re: problems trying to get warranty work through dealer (ciRcuitSi y0!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ciRcuitSi y0! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea just try a diff dealer...i went to the dealer around here and they tried bsing me saying that they were gonna charge me because i didnt maintain the car properly(i.e. oil changes) i was like wtf...what does oil have to do with the tranny...also i even bought an extra warranty for 1500 and they still didnt want to pay that...what i did was i threatened to sue and they said they would fix it..also i looked up service bulletins on my car and found out their were a few for it..and one of the bulletins included synchro problems...so i printed that out...printed out comments of similar complaints and when i left after they said they would pay..i threw about 10 pieces of paper in the guys face and said here ******* read this</TD></TR></TABLE>
hahaha...
Old 08-05-2003, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where did you get the service bullitins?
Old 08-05-2003, 04:28 PM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

http://www.alldata.tsb.com/recalls/index.html thanks just send me some jolly ranchers
Old 08-05-2003, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks a lot for the link,
unfortunatly there is nothing about my problem listed
any other sites?
Old 08-06-2003, 03:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i did see a recall for a grinding in the tranny of a civic si. does the si and the ex share the same tranny?
Old 08-06-2003, 04:28 AM

So you can just print this info out and bring it back to the dealer and have them look at/fix all these things under warranty? How many compliants does it take in order for them to make it a recall?