Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Problem shifting in a 94 Del Sol

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Problem shifting in a 94 Del Sol

Just picked up a Del Sol this past weekend, drove and shifted fine (Although shifted a little hard) when I first got it but now when I get in and start the car, depress the clutch the car won't let me go into any gears right away. After depressing the clutch for about 10 seconds, I can then freely shift into any gear. After putting it into gear and shifting through the gears 1-5 and Reverse with the car not moving (with the clutch still in) and shifting back into neutral and letting go of the clutch, I can't shift back into gear unless I wait the 10 seconds with clutch depressed and the shifter in neutral before the transmission lets me shift into any gear. Once I'm moving it shifts perfectly fine through the gears, it's just hesitant when I'm stopped.

When I was driving on the highway I did notice a slight whine coming from the transmission, could it be the throwout bearing? Possibly a bad slave/master cylinder?

I haven't gotten around to changing the transmission oil or checking the brake fluid levels, there was a huge *** snowstorm and I didn't feel like shoveling 2 feet of snow off my hood to pop it.

Anybody else have this problem or have any ideas?

Oh and the car and motor have about 250,000 miles on it, so I'm pretty sure something is wearing out and needs replacement.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:58 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Problem shifting in a 94 Del Sol

Huh, I have a '97 Sol. It's in great condition, sometimes when I put it in reverse it'll go like half way and if I take off the clutch the gears grind. But I've learned the feel of it and when it only shifts to reverse like halfway I just put it back in neutral, let off the clutch and then shift. Theres no hesitating, it's not really a problem, just one of those things ya know? As far as the car not going into gear at all, I haven't had that problem. Maybe the clutch is slipping, and even though it's engaged, the car is still acting as if it's depressed. May have to do with the lower RPMs at idle, possibly try givin it some gas when trying to shift. The trans oil, may be the cause of the whine, but I couldn't imagine it would cause you to not be able to shift at all. That's really all I can offer, hope it helps!
Old 02-20-2011, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the input Notabuckeye. And it just won't go into gear when I first depress the clutch and try shifting it until I wait the 10 seconds with the clutch depressed. Then I can finally push the shifter into gear and get going. And it's kinda weird how that only happens from a dead stop.

I'm hoping it isn't the clutch, but at 250,000 miles I'm thinking it might be time for a new one...and for me to shell out a few hundred to get a good one -_-
Old 02-20-2011, 09:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dragon. sounds like the common problem of a bad master cylinder.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks hondawhiz. I'll look into that when the snow stops falling here. Wisconsin FTL.
Old 02-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Changed the transmission oil with Pennzoil GM Synchromesh, installed new clutch master and slave cylinders, and the car still has the same problem.

I'm starting to think it may be the syncros, but what's throwing me off is that the car only does that when its cold. Once the car is warmed up, it shifts perfectly fine.

Could it be the shift linkage some how? This is the first time the Del Sol has seen winter or temperatures this cold in a few years...
Old 02-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does it ever slip? Clutch perhaps?
Old 02-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Car has never slipped once. The transmission seems to be fine though, it shifts like butter w/o grinding ever into any gear.

It's just when you first start the car, you can't shift it into any gear until you depress the clutch for a few seconds, then it goes in like butter.

I've never had this happen before, I've ruled out clutch master/slave/oil as I've changed all those and it still does this, but now if I put a little pressure into pushing it into gear while I depress the clutch it will go in eventually after the 3rd or 4th push.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you are in wisconsin i heard its pretty cold up there. you ever think that because you just got into your car and since the car is cold the fluids could be a little frozen?
Old 02-22-2011, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would check the clutch free play. It sounds like the clutch isnt completely free when the clutch is depressed
Old 02-22-2011, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Bowl_of_Rice
you are in wisconsin i heard its pretty cold up there. you ever think that because you just got into your car and since the car is cold the fluids could be a little frozen?
I was thinking that, but then again brake fluid freezes at -40F, and it's nowhere near that here. It was around 30-40 degrees when I last rode in my Del Sol and I had this problem.

However, the problem does go away once the car is warmed up, which is leading me to believe its something to do with letting the car warm up...but that's weird because this will be the first car to ever have that problem.

But then again the car does have 260,000 miles on it.

Back to the drawing board
Old 02-24-2011, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well I've been driving it for the past few days, and it does shift a little better now.

But the hesitation getting it into gear on a dead stop is still there. But if I keep pushing the shifter into gear, it will go in on the third push but it goes in a bit hard.

This only happens when the car is at a dead stop...still wondering whats up.

On a side note, now the blinkers have "lag" as well. After I click it right or left, it won't turn on the blinkers until a few seconds later.

Wtf is up with this lagginess all over this car...? The only thing that doesn't lag is the power from the D16Z6, still pulls hard @ 250k!
Old 03-25-2011, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did you ever figure out your shifting issue??? I am having the same issue and was going to replace the master/slave cylinders but I don't want to spend the money if that is not going to fix the problem??
Old 03-25-2011, 04:40 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Bleed the air out of the system if any. That would only cost you some time. The master/slave cylinders are not all that expensive.