Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

del Sol won't move when in gear, speedo does not move

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default del Sol won't move when in gear, speedo does not move

My brother just bought a del Sol yesterday, drove it around all afternoon, but now suddenly it won't move at all. He can put the car in gear without pressing the clutch pedal, and when he gives it gas it just revs, the speedometer does not move.

Now I did some searching and found other people with similar problems, but their speedometer would bounce around, and the problem turned out to be their axle(s) had broken or slipped out of the differential.

I looked at the car real quick today, and then he presses the clutch pedal, the slave cylinder and the release fork do move, although I'm not sure if it's moving as far as it's supposed to.

It's like the clutch is stuck disengaged, so that gears can be selected while the engine runs, without pressing the clutch pedal. Any ideas?

*edit* something else he said, when he was driving around all night last night, he said he only had to press the clutch pedal a slight bit to disengage the clutch and change gears, i.e. engagement point was almost at the top of pedal travel.

Modified by PatrickGSR94 at 6:44 PM 7/30/2006
Old 07-30-2006, 03:47 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with my del sol, i only have to press it in a tad bit to shift. And my tranny is starting to act weird.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm thinking something is lodged between the flywheel and clutch pressure plate keeping it from engaging.

Guess we're gonna be pulling the tranny off the car this week.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:20 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (PatrickGSR94)

Good luck, let me know what you find out. Like I said, my del sol is having problems in the tranny area. It grinds somtimes when i put it in reverse when im stoped, somtimes it wont go into first when im stoped...weird ****
Old 07-30-2006, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (del sol1658)

yours is probably the clutch not disengaging all the way, could need clutch replacement in your case, too.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:12 PM

Throw out bearing disapeared? lol

But sounds more like a clutch failure to me.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

this is going to sound dumb maybe but...is the shift linkage attached? are the tranny bolts tight? a number of things could be wrong but my MAIN idea is total clutch failure
Old 07-30-2006, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (del sol1658)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by del sol1658 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Good luck, let me know what you find out. Like I said, my del sol is having problems in the tranny area. It grinds somtimes when i put it in reverse when im stoped, somtimes it wont go into first when im stoped...weird **** </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's pretty normal, there's no syncros in reverse, put it into 2nd or 4th for a second or two or three to slow the shaft down, then put it in reverse, it'll go right in...

at OP:
Sounds like there's a leak in the clutch system...
Old 07-30-2006, 08:30 PM

Default Re: (Syndacate)

shouldnt be a leak in the clutch system cause he still has pedal feel. if there was a leak the pedal would most likely loose its feeling or go straight to the floor
Old 07-30-2006, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMlyfestyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">shouldnt be a leak in the clutch system cause he still has pedal feel. if there was a leak the pedal would most likely loose its feeling or go straight to the floor</TD></TR></TABLE>
and he wouldent be able to put it in gear....well he could but it wouldent be smooth at all and the car would move.
Old 07-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
and he wouldent be able to put it in gear....well he could but it wouldent be smooth at all and the car would move.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Blah, eh, ur right

I doubt it's something jammed inbetween the clutch & pressure plate though :-\

Obviously the clutch is stuck open...so it's probably something like the clutch spring or some bearing in there, you're going to have to drop the tranny anyways so might as well start :-\ You'll find out what's wrong relatively quickly
Old 07-31-2006, 04:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah he just went ahead and got a clutch kit from AutoZone, we're going to drop the tranny later this week. Just bought the damn car...

He also said even with the car in gear it will still roll if the e-brake is off.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something to check before you pull the transmission:

Make sure your clutch pedal assembly has all of its lock nuts tightened. It almost seems like the lock nuts have worked loose and have moved so far out of spec that they're not releasing the master cylinder piston far enough to let the clutch engage.

I once had an issue where my cruise control wouldn't set at all. The button on the dash would light up, but pressing the Set button wouldn't do anything. Turned out, the lock nuts loosened enough to where the pedal arm wouldn't contact the cruise control interlock at the top of the clutch's height. I almost took it into a dealer to diagnose the cruise control system for what turned out to be 2 minutes of wrench time under the dash.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: del Sol won't move when in gear, speedo does not move (PatrickGSR94)

I HAD THIS PROBLEM HAPPEN BEFORE TO ME!!!, IF WHEN YOU START YOUR CAR YOU CAN RELEASE THE CLUTCH ALL THE WAY WHY ITS IN GEAR AND IT WONT CHOKE ON YOU, IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR CLUTCH IF IT DID YOU WOULD HEAR HORRIBLE CHATTER FROM YOUR TRANNY OR SOMETHING LIKEWISE. WHAT YOUR ISSUE IS, IS THAT ONE OF YOUR CV AXLES ARE NOT COMPLETLY IN THE DIFFERENTIAL ALL OF THE WAY. SEE YOUR TRANSMITTION WILL NOT ENGAGE IF THE DIFFERENTIAL DOESNT HAVE ANYTHING TO LOCK ON TO, SO CHECK YOUR AXLE CONNECTIONS TO THE DIFFERENTIAL BEFORE YOU BEGIN TO RIP APART YOUR MOTOR. I'VE DONE THIS BEFORE WHEN I INSTALLED AN ITR INTO MY BUDDYS EF, AND MY CIVIC WHEN I REPLACED THE FRONT CALIPER BRAKES ON MY EG. GOOD LUCK
Old 07-31-2006, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: del Sol won't move when in gear, speedo does not move (Projekt_2nr)

Turn off caps lock please.

If it was one of the axles not in the tranny all the way, the speedometer should still move when the engine is revved up because the tranny would still be turning the speed sensor gear in the tranny.

On my brother's car, with the engine running, you can just sit there and put it in any gear and nothing happens, car still idles. It's as if you're holding the clutch disengaged but without actually pressing on the clutch pedal. It's like there's no clutch there at all really to send the power from the engine to the tranny.

Also the clutch release fork still moves when the clutch pedal is pressed, so I'm sure it's not the pedal assembly.
Old 07-31-2006, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: del Sol won't move when in gear, speedo does not move (PatrickGSR94)

Then I would say pressure plate. If your throwout bearing was hosed or if the TOB came out of the TOB fork, then you'd never be able to disengage the clutch, and you'd always be in gear.

If it was your clutch, you'd hear some serious noise from the bell housing.
Old 07-31-2006, 08:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: del Sol won't move when in gear, speedo does not move (Henklin)

yep, we're gonna drop the tranny and see what's up after I get off work Thursday.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bringing this back up, we pulled the tranny off this evening. We found the clutch disc was VERY worn down, in fact what little friction material remaining was actually flaking off of the disc. So could this be the problem, that the disc didn't even have enough bite to turn with the flywheel, and so it just sat there and allowed the transmission to go into gear with the engine running?

I sure hope that's it. We have a new clutch ready to go on tomorrow after my bro gets the flywheel resurfaced.

*edit* also, both of his outer CV boots were torn. He's going to get new ones tomorrow, are those GCK brand new axles decent? I have CCT reman's on my Integra and they are a POS.