Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Power steering removal..problem !

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering removal..problem !

Okay, I removed my PS resevoir today.. looped the lines, and figured I was done. When I came home, there's PS fluid leaking out of the power steering pump (which I capped off only) Do I NEED to remove that Big line that runs next to the Timing belt that connects to the PS pump, or is my problem elsewhere? Any help is appreciated as I am Stumped.

edit: The belt is NOT still attached to the pump either.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Power steering removal..problem ! (MiKeAhOwSkI)

why didn't you remove the pump?
take all that stuff out.

there is a line going into the pump from the reservoir, and one going out to the rack. you need to loop these two together. remove as much of them as you can.

i'm having a hard time understanding exactly what you did. it seems like you want to put it back in later .. so why not just remove the belt and leave everything alone? the main reason to remove all of the other components is weight reduction and the wheel is slightly easier to turn.

but if you aren't concerned with installing it again later, remove everything in this picture except #17 #14 #11.

#17 is the sensor, disconnect it and ziptie it somewhere. then install a fitting on the rack (i forget the size offhand) where the high pressure line from the pump was, and loop that fitting to #14 & #11 with some hose. that's probably the right way to do it.

some say you can even opt to run the rack totally dry.

if i make no sense: https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=184202
Old 07-28-2004, 09:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Power steering removal..problem ! (jwn7)

Thanks for the help, I'll try to help out with some pics here...

I would like to put it back on someday, so i don't want to cut anything that would then be irreplaceable. BUT I need that resevoir out of the way because my charge pipes run through there.

I looped the lines further down the trail of those metal lines, I looped it where it originally would have plugged into the PS resevoir.

There's a shot from the lower area... I just took the thicker line and looped it to the smaller (only other line) right by where the resevoir would have been. you can sort of follow the lines path from that picture, but here's a picture from above

Maybe this just doesn't work, but it's the same idea as looping it at the rack, just further down the line.

I dont know if this helps, but that's what I've got goin on. Now, that BIG line (#4 in pic) if I were to disconnect that, it would then make the PS pump COMPLETELY disconnected.. and it wouldn't leak I'm assuming. But what do I do about the hole on the rack then? cap it off? or redo my looping? let me know if any of this sounds right...I'm trying to learn..lol

Modified by MiKeAhOwSkI at 6:49 AM 7/29/2004
Old 07-28-2004, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Power steering removal..problem ! (MiKeAhOwSkI)

here's another picture showing the routing

Old 07-28-2004, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

also I have a 95 civic ex... it has one two lines going from the rack to the resevoir and one from the pump to the resevoir.
Old 07-28-2004, 10:13 PM

Default Re: (MiKeAhOwSkI)

wadda pain....

Old 07-28-2004, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (al3e)

yeah... it's even more fun to wake up to a garage floor full of PS fluid Hopefully I can figure this out, it's driving me nuts
Old 07-28-2004, 10:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow that is seriously ghetto as fawk

i belive his name is Pawadan (I THINK) sells a kit on this board get his kit, because what you have looks like **** and dosn't work at all
Old 07-28-2004, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (99blackcivicSi)

Yeah I've seen that...kinda broke . what's So ghetto about it? from the other archived posts I've seen this....

mine is doing the same thing, just at an easier to reach part. the rest of the pics are down in that thread though... and it was on a different car.

all of that stuff is fine, no leaks, it's just the PS pump that drips a little now... all Im wondering is if taking off that BIG line would stop all flow to the PS pump, and if it does, how the hell do I properly remove that line?

but thanks for slamming my ghetto setup...I'm used to it since posting up my DIY turbo kit...may not look pretty, but it sure does work.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why take the power steering pump out? To save ALL of maybe 5-10 pounds? Maybe its just me but I like my power steering.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BLK98EX)

I need the space that the PS resvoir takes up... not the weight savings. I'm trying to make a temporary setup until I can get a new downpipe and intercooler pipes....so then I can have room for the resevoir again. right now, the intercooler piping is in the way.

I unplugged that switch from the BIG line after reading another thread. it's the power steering "pressure" switch.

So hopefully it will cut the pressure to anything PS related, thus eliminate the pump forcing out fluids because it's being pressured against closed openings.

Old 07-29-2004, 07:21 AM

<-- still confused

just take the pump out if it is what's leaking. it's 3 bolts.