Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

possible alignment/suspension problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible alignment/suspension problems

So recently i experienced a minor head on collision between my car and a pole. Luckily, it was only a love tap and i was literally going only around 3-4 mph. The bad news is i hit the pole on the driver's side and i hit the wheel right on. It ended up denting my fender in and pushing my wheel back a few inches so that my tire is only an inch or so away from the back section of the fender. The good news is that it's still driveable with the occasional rub on the fender from bumps. It pulls slightly to the left due to the wheel being set back and it's difficult to make a right hand turn. It also seems like it repeatedly bumps, for lack of a better term, when i accelerate through a right turn such as on exit ramps like i'm hittin bumps or cracks in the road that aren't there. I straightened out my upper control arm which is part of the reason that the wheel is so far back but i'm not sure what else could be wrong. What i'm wanting to know is what're the potential problems and how could i fix them so that my wheel is back to its normal position. I wish i could get pics up to give u guys a better idea of what it looks like but i'd appreciate any help with it.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:48 AM
kp
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: possible alignment/suspension problems

You should not be driving this car, you have no idea how unsafe this is. Please take it somewhere to get a quote. If you are handy with tools and repairs, just get a quote and a parts list to do it yourself. This is insane. Your tire is an inch away from your fender?!?! You're crazy!
Old 06-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my guess is your lower control arm is pushed back.

and i think your halfshaft is binding creating that "crack" feeling you mention.

pretty soon you will need tires if the one doesnt shred away from your fender.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:50 PM

hopefully its just your lca and not the subframe. get under there and check things out.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no no no the tire bein an inch away was how it was initially from the hit. i gave it more clearance when i straightened out the upper control arm. i'll have to take a look at it tomorrow to see if the lower control arm is the problem but thanks for the suggestions