Notices
Suspension & Brakes Theory, alignment, spring rates....

Diagnosis for suspension after accident

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diagnosis for suspension after accident

Back in november i got into an accident,where someone merged right into my passenger front wheel. The car drives fairly straight, and there is no wobble in the steering wheel, but I'm worried that there is more damage than i thought. i replaced the camber kit and upper control arm, just looking at the suspension w/ the wheel off, nothing looks wrong, but i recently noticed that the caster looks off on the wheel that got hit. From a profile view of the car, compared to the driver side front, the passenger side front wheel looks closer to the rear of the fender well, as opposed to dead center of the wheel well.

I did get an alignment after the accident, however i am questioning how well it was done, or even if they knew that the caster was off, but couldn't fix it. My suspension has been unusually squeeky, and that passenger side front tire has A LOT more wear than the other 3. (these are not the same wheels/tires that i had at the time of the accident). I DID go to streets of willow w/ these tires, but that course should've showed most wear on the driver side front, am i right? so i dont think the unusual wear can be attributed to road racing.

Just wondering if any of you are familiar enough w/ suspension, to have a guess as to what is wrong..ie. is there a good chance that something in my suspension is bent, like the knuckle? or maybe its just the caster that didn't get fixed in the alignment, and its a easy fix? hard to say, but i'm mainly looking for an answer entailing whether i likely bent something or not. (b/c i dunno what is most susceptible in that are of the suspension).

Any help finding a local shop that can diagnose the problem as well, would be greatly appreciated. I just want a shop that is reliable, and knows what they are doing, who i can trust to tell me what is wrong--and be correct about it, and not give me the run around.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:29 PM

Default Re: Diagnosis for suspension after accident (Aznspeedracer)

^^^ Sorry man i cant really help you....but i actually have the same sorta problem. I was in a accident a couple of months ago, some lady merged into my passenger front side and ripped off my fender. It bent my strut bar, but thats the only major problem i noticed. Until i realized that now im rubbing like crazy on both sides of my car!! Do you have this problem too?

My car is the same height as before, and i had no previous problems with rubbing
Old 01-14-2005, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Diagnosis for suspension after accident (SpoonmeSami)

i dont have any rubbing, sounds like your accident was a little worse than mine. i just have weird noises from my suspension now.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just to elimnate a possible cause of the problem, check the runout on the wheel bearing.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Last year I got in a similar accident and the same thing happened to me. I checked my lower control arm and it was bend so that was replaced. After that, I didnt have anymore tire wear and it drove straight after the alignment. It drives fine now.. it doesnt veer left or right but my steering wheel doest line up straight like it use to..
Old 01-15-2005, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright thanks guys, MOTION, my car actually drives straight, but i think you should be able to adjust your steering wheel, a shop should be able to do it, or you can do it yourself. just be careful of the airbag.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Aznspeedracer)

Another thing to consider is bent mounting positions. I'm pretty sure htis is what happend on my old car, I smoked a curb with it in town once not that hard, but the CG was so low it dint' hop the curb it just slammed into it bending the control arms, front subframe, and bending the steering knuckle/hub.
I replaced everthing that was or looked bent and it was just never the same, it used to be so confidence inspiring and always oversteering, after the accident it just pushed, ebrake corners were great, but it wasn't nearly as good of handling as it was before the accident. Same exact suspension and everthing. All I can figure is the frame got bent, I'm still shocked the wheel didn't bend at all. Got all scratched up, but still true.
Old 01-16-2005, 10:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, figured outwhat the problem is. i haven't really solved the caster problem, but the noises came from the LCA. inside the subframe, there is a welded nut that allows you to screw the LCA bolt into, those broke off on both sides, due to me hitting my front lower tie bar on bad roads. i hope the caster problem can be fixed w/ just an alignment, and nothing else is bent.
Old 01-17-2005, 12:20 PM
.RJ

Well you also need to get it on an alignment machine w/ somone that knows what they're doing to check it out.

But its possible to bend up the subframe w/ a hit like that.
Old 01-17-2005, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Defnitely get those nuts welded back on there.