Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Planning stages - turboing D16z - Parts list (so far)

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 12:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning stages - turboing D16z - Preparatory Parts list (so far)

Ok, I'm approaching this from a n00b status, so bear that in mind.

Auto: 1995 Civic Del Sol Si, 110k, 5 spd, D16z.
Intentions: 210-220 whp, no track/drag, peppy weekend driver, del sol meets, etc. Needs to pass emissions in Arizona, and I'd like to keep the a/c and ps.

I've been reading faqs/old posts/how tos on several different sites, forums, and this is the list I've put together so far. I'd like some feedback to see if I'm on the right track, and what I'm missing from the list.

I haven't decided on a full turbo setup yet (However I am leaning towards the greddy kit listed at racingworks.com), so this is the list I have so far:

BRAKES
Neuspeed stainless steel brake lines
Brembro Slotted Rotors (F&R)
EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads

SUSPENSION
KYB Agx Shocks
Eibach Pro lowering springs (Aiming for 1.5" drop or thereabouts)
Tanabe front strut tower bar
Tanabe rear strut tower bar
Tanabe front underbrace

RIMS/TIRES
15" most likely if not, no bigger than 16", haven't decided on a rim/tire combo yet.

DRIVETRAIN/FUEL SYSTEM
ACT HDSS Heavy Duty street clutch
AEM Fuel Regulator
AEM Fuel Rail (Possibly, mostly for bling )

EXHAUST
Tanabe Hyper Medallion (Don't want a loud exhaust)

That's it! Anything else I'm not thinking of? (I left off all visual mods/plans for the sake of brevity)

John

Modified by Aodhan at 9:49 PM 9/26/2007
Old 09-26-2007, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the thread title says turbo project, but you list everything except the turbo parts. So... which is it?
Old 09-26-2007, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (crxses)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxses &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the thread title says turbo project, but you list everything except the turbo parts. So... which is it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I will be turboing, but not until everything else is done and ready. Since I'm new to this, I want to make sure the car is ready, and that I'm not missing anything critical in the preparation.

For now, assume a greddy turbo kit (The one I found was at racingworks.com, $1500 plus intercooler, boost controller and blowoff valve).

I'll do a compression test, and a full tuneup as well.

John
Old 09-26-2007, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the list looks fine so far
Old 09-26-2007, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Aodhan)

BRAKES, all of that is a waste of money. none of that will improve your braking.

Blanks and full ceramic pads are all you need. if you want better stoping power visit the brake expert here on HT, think he sells a kit thats way better them oem for less then 300.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Re: (THC07)

whos the breke expert?
Old 09-26-2007, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (gospeedracergo)

his name is thebrakexpert or somthing. ill find him and link him to thread.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:33 AM

Default Re: (THC07)

ok.. well im running a set of brembo oem size with steel lines and aftermarket pads (not sure who though) and i stop noticably different.... and i only spent like 200 or so for everything...
Old 09-27-2007, 12:35 AM

Default Re: Planning stages - turboing D16z - Preparatory Parts list (Aodhan)

Get on Turbod16 they can help you with anything you need to know about boosting the d
Old 09-27-2007, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Planning stages - turboing D16z - Preparatory Parts list (D-money 92si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D-money 92si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get on Turbod16 they can help you with anything you need to know about boosting the d</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did. I posted this over there yesterday, it's had 12 views and no replies.

Just not as much traffic there.

John
Old 09-27-2007, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aodhan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I did. I posted this over there yesterday, it's had 12 views and no replies.

Just not as much traffic there.

John</TD></TR></TABLE>

well yea dood, this post is fantasy stuff. people do it all the time, make a 'mod' list and try to gather up all there dreams into binary bullshit. It's a car, work on it in stages. nothing is wrong with learning, and research, but leave the fantasy crap offline
Old 09-27-2007, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aodhan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, I'm approaching this from a n00b status, so bear that in mind.

Auto: 1995 Civic Del Sol Si, 110k, 5 spd, D16z.
Intentions: 210-220 whp, no track/drag, peppy weekend driver, del sol meets, etc. Needs to pass emissions in Arizona, and I'd like to keep the a/c and ps.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The T25 will meet your 210-200 hp goal and is small enough for you to keep your ac and ps. Be sure to get a compatible manifold!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Aodhan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
BRAKES
Neuspeed stainless steel brake lines
Brembro Slotted Rotors (F&R)
EBC Greenstuff Brake Pads
</TD></TR></TABLE>

My Suggestion:
Stock brake lines unless rusted
Autozone rotors
Autozone lifetime replacement brakes

SUSPENSION
KYB Agx Shocks
Eibach Pro lowering springs (Aiming for 1.5" drop or thereabouts)
Tanabe front strut tower bar
Tanabe rear strut tower bar
Tanabe front underbrace
</TD></TR></TABLE>

My Suggestion:
In addition:
Energy suspension shifter bushings
Energy suspension polyurethane motor mounts

RIMS/TIRES
15" most likely if not, no bigger than 16", haven't decided on a rim/tire combo yet.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good, go with a 15x7.
Falkin Azenis as street tire

DRIVETRAIN/FUEL SYSTEM
ACT HDSS Heavy Duty street clutch
AEM Fuel Regulator
AEM Fuel Rail (Possibly, mostly for bling )
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You could get away with just a 6-puck clutch, or *maybe* a stage 2 organic; no AEM ****.

That's it! Anything else I'm not thinking of? (I left off all visual mods/plans for the sake of brevity)
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would build your bottom end just for safety's sake. Sure you can make 220 safely without, but D series rods are garbage. $500+ for Pistons+Rods

$200+ Wideband. THIS IS A MUST!!! You risk your motor if you don't run this.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:16 AM

Default Re: Planning stages - turboing D16z - Preparatory Parts list (BrakeDanceJ)

yea building the bottom end is a good idea but hes on a budget and that pretty much kills his budget lol.

i ran 210whp for 3 years with no problems. the only problem i had was that someone stole my car lol.

MAKE SURE YOU GET ARP HEAD STUDS!!! sohc heads lift alot when it comes to boost. the last thing u want is the head lifting off the block.

the greddy kits are pretty good i used to sell them. the good part about them is the carb certified part lol. but they run really well for the price.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Planning stages - turboing D16z - Preparatory Parts list (LumpyTheGrumpyCamshaft)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LumpyTheGrumpyCamshaft &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

well yea dood, this post is fantasy stuff. people do it all the time, make a 'mod' list and try to gather up all there dreams into binary bullshit. It's a car, work on it in stages. nothing is wrong with learning, and research, but leave the fantasy crap offline</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hardly fantasy, asswipe. Pull your head out before you talk crap. I already have 3500 saved up for this. I just don't want to be like everyone that jumps out, grabs whatever they can afford and find out later its crap.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Planning stages - turboing D16z - Preparatory Parts list (BrakeDanceJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrakeDanceJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The T25 will meet your 210-200 hp goal and is small enough for you to keep your ac and ps. Be sure to get a compatible manifold!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Manifold, got it. I was planning on one of the smaller turbos anyway, since I'm not going insane boost levels I can keep it smaller and get a quicker spoolup.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrakeDanceJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
My Suggestion:
Stock brake lines unless rusted
Autozone rotors
Autozone lifetime replacement brakes

My Suggestion:
In addition:
Energy suspension shifter bushings
Energy suspension polyurethane motor mounts
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Second person to recommend motor mounts. I'll add both of these to the list.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Falkin Azenis as street tire
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks, I'll take a look at them.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You could get away with just a 6-puck clutch, or *maybe* a stage 2 organic; no AEM ****.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Since this is going to be a semi DD, I went with the ACT HDSS from a post on turbod, they said it will do well under DD conditions, a lot of the others they said tore up pretty fast.

I would build your bottom end just for safety's sake. Sure you can make 220 safely without, but D series rods are garbage. $500+ for Pistons+Rods

$200+ Wideband. THIS IS A MUST!!! You risk your motor if you don't run this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll take a look at the pistons and rods. There is a shop here in Phx that has been recommended a couple of times to me, I'll see what they say as well. I can add that to the intermediate stages if need be before I have the turbo installed.

Not sure what a wideband is, guess I'll go look through some more FAQ's

Edited: Wideband is a boost controller, controls air/fuel levels? I hadn't gotten to the turbo yet, how is that different from hondata tuning? Or is the hondata the map, and the wideband the implementation of said map?

Thanks for the suggestions!

John
Old 09-27-2007, 07:33 AM

a wideband is gonna help u out alot when it comes time for tuning. i pretty much tells u what ur afr is. incredibly helpfull especially in forced induction applications.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:31 AM

</TD></TR></TABLE>

14b dsm turbo will spool faster than a t25... just make your own manifold it will cost a hell of a lot less to do plus you get the satifaction of knowing you made your own... all you need to do is take an hf exhaust mani and make an adapter plate thats a manifold and turbo setup for like maybe 250 bucks