Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Picked up a 92 eg and need some help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Picked up a 92 eg and need some help...

Alright guys, just picked up my 92 civic h/b with a jdm d15b in it. now there are some small issues.

1. E-brake wont hold the car still and wont stay down when i am driving
2. Rear hatch wont open with either key or lever at the front of the car
3. i have one key to start the car and on key to open doors (what this normal?)
4. I ran the cars for a few seconds, a little reving and such and the rad felt a bit warmer than usual. ( I didnt touc it, just felt the heat comming off)
5. Tach wont rev with the engine. Sits at 1 grand and then jumps to 3 or 4. Might be high or drunk, but a little slow.
6. Wipers wont move at all, spray...uh sprays but no wipers.

Thats all I got for now. Any ideas please let me know because i have to get this car on the road soon. Cheers.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, work on one thing at a time. function before fashion, so get the Ebrake fixed and any other driveability problems first.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Picked up a 92 eg and need some help... (CDM_Mike)

that most likeliy means the car was once stolen so they replace the ignition switch

try taking the center council out and tightening the ebrake cable

4. I ran the cars for a few seconds, a little reving and such and the rad felt a bit warmer than usual. ( I didnt touc it, just felt the heat comming off)

let the car idle long enough for the radiator fan to come on and monitor the tem guage to ensure that it does not go above the center

does the key turn the lock?? if so then take the plastic off of the rear hatch and re attach the cable

5. Tach wont rev with the engine. Sits at 1 grand and then jumps to 3 or 4. Might be high or drunk, but a little slow.

these are wiring issues, take your time and use a multi meter and check everything related to these items one at a time
Old 07-09-2006, 04:56 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CDM_Mike &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Alright guys, just picked up my 92 civic h/b with a jdm d15b in it. now there are some small issues.

Thats all I got for now. Any ideas please let me know because i have to get this car on the road soon. Cheers.</TD></TR></TABLE>

1. tighten that ****
2&3. sounds like you bought a piece of crap. car was probably put together at the wrecking yard, keys don't work for each piece because the parts all came from seperate vehicles and the dumb *** didn't switch the locks... for the trunk re-attach the cable but it seems like you don't have a third key for the trunk lock
4. need to be a little more specific with this one (check your temperature gauge while driving and see if you have an overheating problem with your vehicle, if not problem solved
5. try driving the vehicle then give us an update
6. uh... incoherent; say again?

check these and update
Old 07-09-2006, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Picked up a 92 eg and need some help... (thahuhstunna)

Alright, I got the e-brake, rear hatch fixed and i can deal with 2 keys to operate the car. The tach is still a little slow relaying the revs but its something to work on on the weekend. As for the wiper blades, they dont even work at all. I an spray wiper fluid but they never move.

N00b question. On the engine, it says d15b, am I correct in assuming that it also means d16z6? learned it somewhere. Also, going to be looking into mods soon. Any good suggestions for the basics? (Intake, headers, exhaust)
Old 07-09-2006, 02:09 PM

As for question # 5. What model do you have si, ex, dx cx,or vx? If it's anything but an si or ex, that could be your problem with the tack. I know that I had an 89 dx that I put an si cluster into and the tack wouldn't work becouse the car wasn't wired for a tack.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:12 PM

d16b is a jdm sohc that I think is vtec(correct me if I'm wrong). d16z6 is a usdm sohc vtec motor that comes from a 92-95 Si model.

For the wiper blades, turn the wipers on and see if the piece that the wiper assembly attatches to moves, if it does move, the teeth are grinded off. It it doesn't move at all, remove the plastic piece covering the wipers and mess with it.

-Jason
Old 07-09-2006, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the d15b and d16z6 are very similar. the d15b is essentially a vx block with z6 head (there are alot of theorys about its internals, more agressive cam, better breathing head)
it does have a tad higher compression then the z6 which gives it the higher hp rating.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:14 AM

Default Re: Picked up a 92 eg and need some help... (RaYnE)

Yeah, I was reading up on the it and i think the compression ratio was 9.3:1 if i am not mistaken. It pulls nice and sounds good and I think i will keep it rather than swap. And as for the tach, just wait to get an aftermarket one.

I might have to get a new wiper motor though.
Old 07-10-2006, 08:59 AM

new wiper motor is most likely what you're needing. as for the tach, it can be the wiring (just take the cluster off and make sure the wires are secured) or a loose connection on the distributor side (that's where the tach connects) so check engine wiring too. D15B can mean a host of things - if it says VTEC you have the VTi's 1.5L VTEC motor. other than that, I think you bought a bucket imo - perhaps a theft recovery/accident recovery
Old 07-10-2006, 10:58 AM

Default Re: (axtran)

THe story behind is is that the previous owner ahd blown a piston and wanted the engine swapped. When the time came around to paying he didnt have the money so they kept the car as payment after the swap was done.

I had the cluster out yesterday and everything looked fine. What I noticed is that when i lightly flicked the speedo needle it shot all the way around and when i did the same with the tach needle, it went up to around 3 or 4 and then jut hung there. Dont know is this means anything but i thought I would share it. Its a project car and thats what I wanted but rasing the Titanic is a project too.
Old 07-10-2006, 01:15 PM

Default Re: (axtran)

One more thing, the guy who i bought it from also said that it is been chipped with Mugen...er...chip. Any way to prove that this is legit and if so, how to take advantage of it?
Old 07-10-2006, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

open up the ecu, might be a stamp of sorts somewhere, not sure, but wont know till ya check
Old 07-11-2006, 09:11 AM

Default Re: (RaYnE)

Went looking under the glove compartment and i fould a steall box (I am a noob here) and opened it and everything looked stock. now am i looking in the right spot?

Old 07-11-2006, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe its not chipped, i dont really know, thats just where id look anyways. take it too a local shop and ask someone too check it for you
Old 07-13-2006, 07:49 AM

Default Re: (RaYnE)

Sounds like a plan. Gotta wait a few more weeks to get it on the road and I still have to sell my other car. Next thing to work on is making the shifting smoother. any ideas?
Old 07-13-2006, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

new bushings is probably what it needs. check them out and see what condition they are in.