Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

performance add ons ? cams? pulleys?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2003, 02:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default performance add ons ? cams? pulleys?

i have a delsol that i did a swap to a b16 in i have a turbo but no major internal mods done to . how much of a difference would it make if i added cams and pulleys and cam gears to it . would it be worth the cash and if so who makes the best cams and pulleys and stuff
is there any other options besides nos to gain more power
i just ordered a bigger set of injectors and fuel rail
any suggestions ?
thanks in advance for your help
Old 10-08-2003, 02:19 PM
H-T Poker champion

Default Re: performance add ons ? cams? pulleys? (SIKING)

You have a turbo and no internal mods AND you want to add cams? You are going to blow up your engine hardcore with a set up like that. The stock cams are for the most reliable setup of the stock internals of your engine. Changing the cams without rebuilding the internals can be dangerous, and if you are already boosting on stock internals i would not put anymore strain on the engine..

Of course, thats me talking from an N/A cam position.. I don't know anything about cams for forced induction..
Old 10-08-2003, 02:31 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: performance add ons ? cams? pulleys? (Hatchy-Ownzjo0)

Getting cams with higher duration would put more stress on your internals due to the increased air volume in the cylinder per revolution. That would be bad on your stock guts.

Camgears would be a great idea...if and only if you were going to retard the timing a couple degrees. That would be safe, but hurt performance.

Pulleys are a waste of time and should never be considered. They'll shorten the life of your accessories and rob you of any amenities your accessories offer.

Get internals first, make more power later .
Old 10-08-2003, 03:00 PM

alright thanks that makes a lot more sense i was listening to a performance shop here in town and doing what they told me . i will start with internal organs and then move on from there . they were leading me to believe that the cams were the first step i should take and that the pulleys would add more hp so i want to thank you for all this advice you seem to know more than the shops in my area
thanks again
Old 10-08-2003, 04:15 PM

Default Re: performance add ons ? cams? pulleys? (SIKING)

how much boost are you running? If it's like 6 or 7 psi. a mild cam like crower (don't flame), or skunk2 stage one. Anything more than that, I'd start looking into internals. good luck though
Old 10-08-2003, 04:21 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: performance add ons ? cams? pulleys? (zseeanz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zseeanz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how much boost are you running? If it's like 6 or 7 psi. a mild cam like crower (don't flame), or skunk2 stage one. Anything more than that, I'd start looking into internals. good luck though</TD></TR></TABLE>

Nothing wrong with Crower cams...unless they break, which some have a propensity to do, however, I wouldn't risk blowing my twocam to have a little extra juice if I had the oportunity to make it safer first .
Old 10-08-2003, 04:27 PM

Default Re: performance add ons ? cams? pulleys? (Archidictus)

yeah I heard crower sux for dohc. They're not too bad for single cams though. But if you go for a mild duration, you don't need to build unless you push a higher boost