Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

parking brake cable stretched?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parking brake cable stretched?

Hello-

I recently swapped a 94 teg's rear suspension onto my 95 civic hatch. I finally got around to finalizing the mounting of everything and bleeding the system.

I believe my parking brake cable is stretched, can anyone confirm this?

Lowered position:

Raised position:

Driver side when engaged:

Passenger side when engaged:

Thanks in advance!

Seb
Old 02-25-2007, 06:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: parking brake cable stretched? (B18EG6)

any advice?

are the lack of responses a clue that its so obvious that these are stretched?
Old 02-25-2007, 06:40 PM
HRD PKR

i have seen a bunch of cars like this at work when we adjust the cables..

u got brand new pads? if not maybe one side is worn more than the other. but i mean if it holds ur car in the right amount of clicks i wouldn worry
Old 02-25-2007, 06:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: parking brake cable stretched? (B16B_coupe)

new everything...

new master cylinder, new pads, rotors, new piston seals, caliper guide pins, brake lines, bleeder valves, everything

I havent had the car down on the ground yet so I dunno if it holds it - but thats the same mentality I had; if it holds it then forget about it.

Also - after bleeding I noticed the rotors are a little tough to turn, is this simply because I havent driven the car yet and they will back away when I start to drive it?

Thanks for the reply

edit
I dont know if I mentioned this... but when the parking brake is engaged the driver rotor still spins, while the passenger remains still.

BOTH the rotors cannot spin when I depress the brake pedal, however.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:03 PM
HRD PKR

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18EG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">new everything...

new master cylinder, new pads, rotors, new piston seals, caliper guide pins, brake lines, bleeder valves, everything

I havent had the car down on the ground yet so I dunno if it holds it - but thats the same mentality I had; if it holds it then forget about it.

Also - after bleeding I noticed the rotors are a little tough to turn, is this simply because I havent driven the car yet and they will back away when I start to drive it?

Thanks for the reply

edit
I dont know if I mentioned this... but when the parking brake is engaged the driver rotor still spins, while the passenger remains still.

BOTH the rotors cannot spin when I depress the brake pedal, however.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats a bit weird.. but get it on the ground drive it a little break the pads in.. then let us know.. but i mean it should be fine.. cause the brake handle itself is in the car at a angle.. but i would say its fine.. thats a really strong *** cable and would be really hard to strecth imo
Old 02-25-2007, 07:30 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 124 Likes on 118 Posts

I had the exact same problem when I installed my Integra rear brakes. I don't know why. The car held fine on a steep hill, but the one side didn't clamp right. After having the rear brakes on for a couple years, I checked the e-brake connection, and the equalizer was much much more "equal". I'm not sure, but I think it might have to do with the automatic adjuster inside the calipers. You might want to try fliping the calipers up real quick & screwing the pistons all the way back on both sides. This is the only thing I could think of that would cause the unevenness.

Also, after you drive the car the first time, check to make sure the front brake arn't draging also. Aparantly the rear discs caused my "pedal height" to change. This made it like the brake pedal was always pushed in slightly. I had to do some adjusting to the push-rod that connects to the pedal to make sure there was a tiny bit of free play when I pushed the brake pedal...
Old 02-26-2007, 03:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B16B_coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

thats a bit weird.. but get it on the ground drive it a little break the pads in.. then let us know.. but i mean it should be fine.. cause the brake handle itself is in the car at a angle.. but i would say its fine.. thats a really strong *** cable and would be really hard to strecth imo </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the reply. the car wont be driveable till the end of summer or so but I will definately chime in here once it hits the road.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94eg! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had the exact same problem when I installed my Integra rear brakes. I don't know why. The car held fine on a steep hill, but the one side didn't clamp right. After having the rear brakes on for a couple years, I checked the e-brake connection, and the equalizer was much much more "equal". I'm not sure, but I think it might have to do with the automatic adjuster inside the calipers. You might want to try fliping the calipers up real quick & screwing the pistons all the way back on both sides. This is the only thing I could think of that would cause the unevenness.

Also, after you drive the car the first time, check to make sure the front brake arn't draging also. Aparantly the rear discs caused my "pedal height" to change. This made it like the brake pedal was always pushed in slightly. I had to do some adjusting to the push-rod that connects to the pedal to make sure there was a tiny bit of free play when I pushed the brake pedal...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks for the reply, I knew I should have just IMed ya in the first place

I'll try to push the pistons in a bit more and see if that helps.

Is it odd that the side thats pulled more is the side that doesnt engage at the rotor?
Old 02-26-2007, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: parking brake cable stretched? (94eg!)

I think both wheels shouldn't turn if done properly, even in the air. Sometimes there's a little piece under the piston that gets frozen. You can rebuild or return if this is the problem. I had two different reman'd calipers have this same problem. I just kept returning them until I got a good one. GL
Old 02-26-2007, 07:04 AM
#1 Super Guy

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18EG6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it odd that the side thats pulled more is the side that doesnt engage at the rotor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It pulls more because it's not engaging. The other side stops pulling because the pad presses against the rotor, and then resists the pull of the e-brake...

And for those that don't already know, you have to "screw" the rear caliper pistons in. You cannot just push them in with a C-clamp like the fronts..
Old 02-26-2007, 07:13 AM
#1 Super Guy

Default Re: parking brake cable stretched? (94eg!)

I just checked out the helms, and for some reason I don't remember reading the "note" at the begining. This may have something to do with your problem...

NOTE: After rear brake caliper or shoe servicing, loosen the parking brake adjusting nut, start the engine and depress the brake pedal several times to set the self-adjusting brake before adjusting the parking brake.

WARNING: Block the front wheels before jacking up the rear of the car.

1. Raise the rear wheels off the ground
2. On cars with rear disc brakes, make sure the lever of the rear brake caliper contacts the brake caliper pin.
3. Pull the parking brake lever up one notch.
4. Tighten the adjusting nut until the rear wheels drag slightly when truned.
5. Release the parking brake lever and check that the rear wheels do not drag when turned. Readjust if necessary
6. With the equalizer properly adjusted, the rear brakes should be fully applied when the parking brake lever is pulled up 6 to10 clicks.