Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Painting / Refreshing your Molding done right!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting / Refreshing your Molding done right!

Now we all know that paint on vinyl doesn't work well - it kills the texture, is prone to cracking, and just doesn't look right most times. Enter vinyl dye. Some of you may have used vinyl dye before, I started using it with plastic computer pieces a while back. Vinyl dye is just like spray paint, but it soaks into the plastic or vinyl instead of coating it. Because it soaks into the plastic, even minor scratches will not discolor your paint. Best of all, it's available at most parts stores (I got mine at advance auto parts).

1. Prepare the surface to be painted - Use soap, water, and a good brush to remove wax, dirt, and whatever else may be there. Don't make the mistake of buying a surface cleaning spray - they don't work. Dry all surfaces thoroughly with a towel and then allow them to air dry for an hour or so.

2. Paint pieces using THIN COATS. Keep an even motion going while bringing the spray can across the piece. Do NOT rush it - if you do more than a thin coat, the paint will start to run. Allow each coat to dry for 5-10 minutes. I did about 10 thin coats on my pieces. Allow final coat to dry for 20-30 minutes. I'm in a very hot climate, so extend times for colder weather.

3. Remount your pieces and enjoy your work! Two of the three pieces in the picture below were painted - the third was not. I've also included a close-up so that you can see that the texture of the molding is not at all damaged. Yes, I know I have wax buildup under my trim. There are also water marks on the trim - I didn't take pictures immediately after doing this project.

Old 07-07-2005, 04:36 PM
Electrician

It looks very thick and grainy. Why not use trim paint? I've used it and it came out PERFECT. Just like a new piece from factory. That doesn't look too good, IMO.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: (Deemeetree)

It really must just be the pictures, or perhaps the texture of your trim is different. The "grainy"ness you're seeing is actually the texture of the trim. I didn't know there was "trim paint", but I'm guessing it's just vinyl dye. My trim does look just like a piece from the factory in person.