Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Overheating problem!

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating problem!

Hi all. I am having a overheating problem. It is after about a half hour of driving that it starts to overheat. When I am on the freeway it runs a little hotter than normal after a long drive but is really apparent when I get off it starts getting pretty high and I have to shut the car off if I am at a red light and go fast to cool it down at green. I never let it get about about 70% up there but it wants to. It was spurting out all of its coolant out of the overflow and leaving the radiator empty but yesterday it overheated without doing that the radiator was still full so that confused me. So far I have replaced the radiator and thermostat and it's still doing it. I am thinking a cracked head? I don't know much about this issue though so not sure. HELP! lol
Old 07-06-2013, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Overheating problem!

If you continue to allow the engine to overheat, it will soon be toast, if it's not already.

Have you properly bled the cooling system? If so, buy a test kit that detects exhaust gases in the coolant (=blown head gasket).
Old 07-06-2013, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Rarely but sometimes the water pump could be shot too. Check your radiator cap if it's cracked... There's a test you can use with pressure tester to find if you have a leak.

Also check your cooling fan fuse/relay/electric connection voltage. If you also see if temperature drops back to normal when you turn the heat on.

Old 07-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by chillerice
Rarely but sometimes the water pump could be shot too. Check your radiator cap if it's cracked... There's a test you can use with pressure tester to find if you have a leak.

Also check your cooling fan fuse/relay/electric connection voltage. If you also see if temperature drops back to normal when you turn the heat on.

How To Solve An Engine Overheat Condition - EricTheCarGuy - YouTube
I am sorry I forgot to mention I did replace the radiator cap and also the water pump was replaced about 6 months ago but I know that doesn't mean it can't go bad. The fan works normal and heat does seem to help a bit.
Old 07-06-2013, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
If you continue to allow the engine to overheat, it will soon be toast, if it's not already.

Have you properly bled the cooling system? If so, buy a test kit that detects exhaust gases in the coolant (=blown head gasket).
I will have to go buy that kit and try it this week!
Old 07-07-2013, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Off the top of my head I'll suggest headgasket as RonJ said, a coolant leak somewhere or a faulty thermostat.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd test cheap/easy and make double-sure its properly burped, then replace the tstat. If it's not opening fully, that could cause the overheating problem. A clog in the rad would be another possible issue.
Old 07-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

when you replaced the rad cap it has to be oem or from a reputable company (skunk2 etc) it has to hold a pressure and be able to open and close, if it overheated and you filled the radaitor with coolant but didnt blead the system then the water pump is spinning air and also use 50/50 coolant(hopefully you no this or 60/40 depending on where you live) on your old radiator cap was there white **** on the cap if so your head gasket is going bad, do you see white smoke while driving or have a sweet smell from the exhaust.