Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ok, Used Seafoam on the hatch and?!...WTF!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ok, Used Seafoam on the hatch and?!...WTF!!

98 Hatch
79,000 miles

I had three bottles of seafoam 1 bottle I got for free and 2 I bought at autozone for 4.99 each.

So I used the first bottle and put half in through the PCV valcum line and the motor bogged alittle so I pulled out the hose then put it back in. Then I turned off the motor. The I used about 1/3 in the crankcase and put the rest in the gas tank.

I let it sit for about 5-6 minutes then started the car back up motor was at very low RPMS and was shaking so I reved it alittle bit and there was no smoke. After driving for about 20 minutes no smoke.

So I was like WTF!! maybe that wasnt enough seafoam?...

Then I went to autozone bought two bottles used one on the PCV Valcum line again. and used almost a whole one in the crankcase and the rest in the gas tank. I dont have that much gas so there was no need in putting in alot. Let it sit for 5-6 minutes and all. started it back up the engine died immediately so I tried again this time giving it some gas. The motor ran but it felt shaky after driving for about 20 minutes no smoke or very very little smoke...

So my question is why didnt my car smoke like what everyone else is reporting when using seafoam?

Is my engine just super clean?
Could it be that I changed my oil 3 times in 1 1/2 months..lol cant resist free oil changes

Or did I do this wrong?

Cliff notes for you lazy bastards:
Used seafoam and no smoke...but why?..

Old 10-08-2004, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ok, Used Seafoam on the hatch and?!...WTF!! (IncrediVTec)

well, since you get free oil changes. get another one because you just thinned out your oil WAY too much... secondly... if it didnt smoke, then there is little carbon buildup in your intake mani....

you should put it in the PCV system... do it through the brake booster line... on the INTAKE side
Old 10-08-2004, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ok, Used Seafoam on the hatch and?!...WTF!! (slambedcivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slambedcivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well, since you get free oil changes. get another one because you just thinned out your oil WAY too much...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Im going right now!! haha... I will for sure though? changing the plugs to
Old 10-08-2004, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ok, Used Seafoam on the hatch and?!...WTF!! (slambedcivic)

Well I also have a relativly new intake mani, injectors, fuel rail also...
Its a y8 intake mani on a y7

The car does run smoother though, has better throttle response and smoother idle...
Old 10-08-2004, 09:01 AM

Putting it in the crank case is not going to cause smoke. Putting it in the gas will cause very little smoke. Putting it in your brake booster line and your spark plug wells will cause smoke.
Old 10-08-2004, 11:06 AM
New User

my z6 w/ 176,000 smoked like a ****! I feel bad for the people who drove behind me as i took my 10 min drive
Old 10-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (-TRINiTRON-)

Well I changed my oil and that **** was black!!
Changed the plugs and those were black!!

haha

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by -TRINiTRON- &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Putting it in the crank case is not going to cause smoke. Putting it in the gas will cause very little smoke. Putting it in your brake booster line and your spark plug wells will cause smoke. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So if I put it through the brake booster that will cause smoke?...why?
PCV Valcum line goes to the same spot as the brake booster into the intake mani!!
Old 10-08-2004, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

christ...put enough in there???

you could just pull the throttle cable to rev it, to prevent the car from stalling out.
You will get smoke from putting it through the intake hose, off the booster. Youre not supposed to shut the car off...just keep it running for awhile.
You just didnt do it right...but you used more than enough......
Old 10-08-2004, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That means that you did not have much Carbon build up!!!

for cleaning it out the right way - buy using the throttle!!!!!!

I had similar circumstances with my 93 Si - 180,000 miles on it - get on it pretty hard (6K rpms and above) 5, 6 times a day at least and I experienced very little smoke....

Old 10-11-2004, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pdiggitydogg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pdiggitydogg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">christ...put enough in there???

you could just pull the throttle cable to rev it, to prevent the car from stalling out.
You will get smoke from putting it through the intake hose, off the booster. Youre not supposed to shut the car off...just keep it running for awhile.
You just didnt do it right...but you used more than enough......</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wasnt suppose to turn the car off?....

Your suppose to turn it off after you put it in the valcum line and let it sit after you put it into the crank case
Old 10-11-2004, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

long *** seafoam thread and yea you not supposed to shut off car

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=989287
Old 10-11-2004, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Andres-eh2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Andres-eh2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">long *** seafoam thread and yea you not supposed to shut off car
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, you are. It says it right on the bottle. Warm up the car, pour into vac line, then shut off for 5 min to let it do it's work. Then do a spirited drive.

My 00 EX with 90K didn't smoke very much, just a few seconds. From what people have said, I expected much more than that. It's a good sign that your motor was pretty clean to begin with.

Old 10-11-2004, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EX_AutoXer)

I wouldn't be dissappointed if your car didn't smoke too much! That's a good sign that you don't have a ton of carbon build up

That's assuming you followed the correct procedure, it sounds like you did but I would have poured it into the brake booster line...
Old 10-11-2004, 09:05 AM

Default Re: (Andres-eh2)

On my can it said you are supposed to shut the car off. Actually on another forum I post on (yotatech) it was determined the longer you leave the car off the more smoke you get.

I ran it through my brake booster on my 90' Toyota pickup and let it sit for 5 minutes then repeated treatment and let it sit for about 30 minutes. When I took it for a drive cars going in the opposite direction as me had to completely stop because of the smoke.

I couldnt stop laughing.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (10cents)

1 - follow the directions on the bottle...
2 - not everyone gets a lot of smoke. I hardly got any. It was noticeable, but nothing like what everyone else describes. My engine had about 112k on it at the time.