Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

no thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no thermostat?

I need to replace my thermostat but my friend said run no thermostat. He runs it in his boosted miata. And his car runs amazing.

I was wondering if there was and cons to running no thermostat. I don't need the engine to warm up fast. I took out my heater core.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: no thermostat?

Originally Posted by bikewithnoname
I need to replace my thermostat but my friend said run no thermostat. He runs it in his boosted miata. And his car runs amazing.

I was wondering if there was and cons to running no thermostat. I don't need the engine to warm up fast. I took out my heater core.
the only issue you might run into is if you ever plan on driving it when its cold out. the engine might have trouble maintaining operating temp if it has no way to stop sending the coolant out to the radiator.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D16SiHatch
the only issue you might run into is if you ever plan on driving it when its cold out. the engine might have trouble maintaining operating temp if it has no way to stop sending the coolant out to the radiator.
x2

don't remove your thermostat, there's no point and you'd be causing your car to warm up a lot slower, which I'm sure isn't the best for the motor. The thermostat enables your car to reach normal operating temp. in a shorter amount of time by decreasing the amount of coolant circulating around your motor, untill it reaches said temp and it opens which allows all of the coolant to completely cool your motor. Your buddy's boosted miata probably warms up a lot faster and probably runs a lot hotter because it's forced inducted, and probably still isn't the best idea.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

running no thermostaty could actually cause your engine to over heat. even when the thermostat is open, its still a restriction in the coolant flow. if this restriction isnt there then the coolant could move too fast to pick up enough heat to cool the engine.

you do want your engine heating up quickly. engines are designed to run while at operating temp. plus the coolant temp is one of the things the ECM needs to switch to closed loop and start modulating the air/fuel mixture. if it doesnt get hot enough you will see poor gas mileage.
Old 03-29-2009, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by newtron63h
running no thermostaty could actually cause your engine to over heat. Even when the thermostat is open, its still a restriction in the coolant flow. If this restriction isnt there then the coolant could move too fast to pick up enough heat to cool the engine.

You do want your engine heating up quickly. Engines are designed to run while at operating temp. Plus the coolant temp is one of the things the ecm needs to switch to closed loop and start modulating the air/fuel mixture. If it doesnt get hot enough you will see poor gas mileage.
x2

Last edited by Swansen; 03-29-2009 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 07:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree with others. Running without a thermostat is not recommended. Not only will your mileage and performance be hurt, your engine will actually overheat as proper engine cooling relies on the thermostat's ability to reduce the flow rate of coolant through the system (=best heat transfer).
Old 03-29-2009, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just replace the thermostat honda put a thermostat on the motors for a reason
Old 03-30-2009, 04:08 PM

Actully it will be turbo this week. I'm not worried about driving in the cold cause its only drived june to september. It doesn't see temperatures under
10degrees. I've heard a lot of conflcting points but figured I'd ask first.

I was told e pumps are **** by many people. But I've seen nothing short of awsome. Along with my mugen fan switch. I thought a constant flow of coolant wouldn't do anything but keep it cooler. Ill look into it a little more but if all else fails mugen thermostat ftw
Old 03-30-2009, 04:30 PM

Running without a thermostat is better than running with a stuck one but I definitely recommend putting one in.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are $12 from autozone. Just get one.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

again, the cooling system is designed with the thermostat in place to slow down the coolant flow, allowing the heat to transfer from the block/head into the coolant so it can be transfered out through the radiator. it is very possible that if you remove the thermostat, your engine could overheat and the coolant temp stay in the normal range.

i had idiots in humvees in iraq take the thermostats out because they heard "it would help" but all 3 of them came back and needed new engines because they overheated and no one knew. that is summers of 140 degrees. put a thermostat in. with a turbo you might could use one that works 10 or 20 degrees cooler.....but you need one there.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:57 PM

deffinatly going to get one. it may be 12$ at autozone but we done have autozone in canada. we have crapy tire and napa and theyre both a rip off. a main relay is 280 from napa but 90 from the honda dealership. its retarted.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

running no thermostaty could actually cause your engine to over heat. even when the thermostat is open, its still a restriction in the coolant flow. if this restriction isnt there then the coolant could move too fast to pick up enough heat to cool the engine.
Lol what?

You need a thermostat. The engine runs rich when cold. You want to do this for as short of a peroid as possible. Everything in that engine likes heat. Do yourself a favor and just leave it in and tell your Miata buddy that he doesn't know what he's talkin about. If you really think that a thermostat will be the difference between your car running like crap to amazing, then we have other issues to adress
Old 04-02-2009, 09:09 AM

again, the cooling system is designed with the thermostat in place to slow down the coolant flow, allowing the heat to transfer from the block/head into the coolant so it can be transfered out through the radiator. it is very possible that if you remove the thermostat, your engine could overheat and the coolant temp stay in the normal range.

i had idiots in humvees in iraq take the thermostats out because they heard "it would help" but all 3 of them came back and needed new engines because they overheated and no one knew. that is summers of 140 degrees. put a thermostat in. with a turbo you might could use one that works 10 or 20 degrees cooler.....but you need one there.
^ This.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Go to Honda and buy one for $15. Its not like its an expensive part. lol
Old 04-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Edit: Nevermind

Last edited by HeikDiesel; 04-02-2009 at 11:44 AM.