Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

No spark engine turns over 3 problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 10:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No spark engine turns over 3 problems

the car - 94 honda del sol si vtech d16z6

Water pump needs changing(can do if i could get the engine to work)
no spark
ignition wire will not start car, had to install wire jumper

Checked fuses under dash(driver side fuse panel) and under hood(next to battery in the box), All are OK

symptoms
no spark, was getting it at one point, then stopped,
i got a new distributor with router, coil pack .
still no spark

when i move the wires around i hear a relay click(on)(i think it is the fuel pump because the pressure in the fuel line rises)then the 2 seconds and another click(off)
ALSO while trying to start the car the rpm gauge flutters (also did this occasionally while driving)

It over heated heated pretty bad. but the previous owner of the car had put stop leak in the car(a lot of it and it clogged a lot of the cooling system so i took a guarden hose and started flushing the system out, when i got to the hose that feeds coolant to the t.body i kinda let to run for a while with the water shooting out the top of the engine like a water fountain (i left it like that until the water ran clear to get rif od all the red clay like stop leak, that and it looked kinda funny to me with the water shooting out like a fountain, art)anyways, this is when the problem started, i assumed i just got a lot of water into the distributer, after trying 3 different coil packs i had i finally broke and got a new distributer, still no luck. i think the water pump needs to be replaced car has been sitting for a week and a half and i am stuck driving a 96 explorer to work everyday and sucks the **** outta the gas.

THe problem started
NOTE:
Another problem with the car that may not be directly related to this while trying to start the car with the key, i had a problem, so i replaced the starter because i had juice going to the solenoid wire, so i assumed there was just a problem with the starter. problem continued i checked the polarity of the blk/whit stripe wire and it was a positive load when i tested the polarity it was negative with the car on the on position, and no difference in the start position, when i jumped the solenoid with a positive the car started and ran great. Then i just ran a wire from the ign to the wire harness in the engine compartment right next to firewall(i think it has something to do with the clutch sensor because the cruise control stopped working at the same time, i always use the cruise control)

if pictures are needed of anything let me, any help work be appreciated.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: No spark engine turns over 3 problems (nerdboy1024)

try using another dizzy. i know u said u changed the coil and all but it doesnt hurt to try it. also, try a different ECU.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:12 AM

Default Re: No spark engine turns over 3 problems (IOSUA)

got new distributer, still same problem, different ECU same problem

maybe if soeone a wire diagram of the spark system i can track it down
Old 09-12-2007, 01:03 PM

bump, desperate for help
Old 09-12-2007, 01:06 PM

well, i am thinking of testing the points with a multimeter, if anyone has a wire diagram for the engine and where and what voltages i should be getting to get a spark, let me know
Old 09-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

register at hondahookup.com

they have honda repair manuals available in PDF file once you register...i'm having a no spark/start issue with my SOHC del sol as well....
Old 09-14-2007, 10:00 AM

Default Re: No spark engine turns over 3 problems (AE_Racer)

honda hookup did not help much, nothing much for the delsol, any other ideas?
Old 09-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nerdboy1024 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
the car - 94 honda del sol si vtech d16z6

Water pump needs changing(can do if i could get the engine to work)
no spark
ignition wire will not start car, had to install wire jumper

Checked fuses under dash(driver side fuse panel) and under hood(next to battery in the box), All are OK

symptoms
no spark, was getting it at one point, then stopped,
i got a new distributor with router, coil pack .
still no spark

when i move the wires around i hear a relay click(on)(i think it is the fuel pump because the pressure in the fuel line rises)then the 2 seconds and another click(off)
ALSO while trying to start the car the rpm gauge flutters (also did this occasionally while driving)

It over heated heated pretty bad. but the previous owner of the car had put stop leak in the car(a lot of it and it clogged a lot of the cooling system so i took a guarden hose and started flushing the system out, when i got to the hose that feeds coolant to the t.body i kinda let to run for a while with the water shooting out the top of the engine like a water fountain (i left it like that until the water ran clear to get rif od all the red clay like stop leak, that and it looked kinda funny to me with the water shooting out like a fountain, art)anyways, this is when the problem started, i assumed i just got a lot of water into the distributer, after trying 3 different coil packs i had i finally broke and got a new distributer, still no luck. i think the water pump needs to be replaced car has been sitting for a week and a half and i am stuck driving a 96 explorer to work everyday and sucks the **** outta the gas.

THe problem started
NOTE:
Another problem with the car that may not be directly related to this while trying to start the car with the key, i had a problem, so i replaced the starter because i had juice going to the solenoid wire, so i assumed there was just a problem with the starter. problem continued i checked the polarity of the blk/whit stripe wire and it was a positive load when i tested the polarity it was negative with the car on the on position, and no difference in the start position, when i jumped the solenoid with a positive the car started and ran great. Then i just ran a wire from the ign to the wire harness in the engine compartment right next to firewall(i think it has something to do with the clutch sensor because the cruise control stopped working at the same time, i always use the cruise control)

if pictures are needed of anything let me, any help work be appreciated.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
It was running, everything got wet, the problems started.

Check electrical continuity to the engine components. Is the distributor getting power? You say there's no spark now.

What does your OBD say?

Overheating; is it leaking or is the water pump simply not pumping a flow?

Check in a sequence. Good luck.
Old 09-14-2007, 12:12 PM

Default Re: No spark engine turns over 3 problems (Mangotreemechanic)

What does your OBD say?
how do i get the code without the tool?
Old 09-15-2007, 02:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nerdboy1024 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What does your OBD say?
how do i get the code without the tool?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Your car is a '94, which is installed with the OBD 1, so it can give you blink counts for the error code.
Old 09-15-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Re: No spark engine turns over 3 problems (Mangotreemechanic)

cool, how do i make it do that, threaten it with my .45, make it talk? "blink u son of a bitch, tell me what wrong, you leave me hanging for 2 ******* weeks, make me buy u **** you don't need, you better blink or ima fuken shoot".

i'd try that, but the last time i was outside with my gun someone(if not a few) called the cops on me.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

changed the main relay under the dash.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:00 PM

Default Re: (JayKayNidas)

what? where? whats it looks like? is it that ******* little grey box hanging by the wires on the side of the driver side. looks like it should have been connected to a different gray box that is mounted to the side of the driver side..
Old 09-18-2007, 08:02 PM

if the fule pump it clicking the main relay is fine..

check the ecu ground its the lil ground on the thermostat housing if its loose it will not start.. same prob with my buddys b16 2 days ago lol hes had it sitting for 3 weeks not running and i had it going in 5 mins
Old 09-18-2007, 08:18 PM

also, there is a switch/sensor on the pedal assy that if u dont have the clutch in the car will not start. i have had a few of these go bad on different hondas. it is easy to check, just pull the plug off and put a jumper across the 2 wires. if it ends up being this u can either replace it or wire the wires together and never forget to push the clutch in when u go to start it