Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

new water pump, new thermostat, and still havin problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 09:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new water pump, new thermostat, and still havin problems?

I put in a new thermostat, and had someone do the water pump, and the car runs fine, however i'm consistantly losing coolant from the reservoir......for example i filled it up last week, now its almost empty, to me that seems like a lot of coolant to be losing....

also, i just put a new cam seal in b/c i had been leaking oil from the factory one, so i put that in and cleaned it up, now i can see a small amount of coolant on the top of the block and the bottom of the head, (in the same place where the oil from a b-series cam seal would be leaking, to make it more specific) any answers would really help me out.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:01 AM

Default Re: new water pump, new thermostat, and still havin problems? (DanielLaruso)

someone help me out
Old 11-18-2003, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new water pump, new thermostat, and still havin problems? (DanielLaruso)

check for leaks in the radiator. Pressurize your sysem and see where it is leaking.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:44 AM

Default Re: new water pump, new thermostat, and still havin problems? (Ricey McRicerton)

yeah, its not leakin, but i was thinkin about checkin it for leaks everywhere else
Old 11-18-2003, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DanielLaruso &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah, its not leakin, but i was thinkin about checkin it for leaks everywhere else
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good plan if you are loosing coolant...also check and make sure there isnt any in your oil . You know what that means right??
Old 11-18-2003, 07:59 AM

Default Re: new water pump, new thermostat, and still havin problems? (Ricey McRicerton)

yeah, i know exactly what that means, the oil was the first thing i checked. it looks good just a little low....car runs fine and theres no white smoke or nothin
Old 11-18-2003, 08:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check all of your coolant hoses becuase sometimes it'll rub against a bolt and create a small opening where coolant can slowly leak. Do you notice white smoke coming out the tail pipe when driving around? If so then you may either have a leaking headgasket, warped cylinder head or a cracked block so hopefully its just the gasket that needs replacing. You should bring your car to a shop to have its compression tested, it'll tell you quickly what needs replacing if there is a leak.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:05 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

it's probably a leak in one of the hoses, Start up the car, and take a flashlight and look around...see if you can see it spilling anywhere.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new water pump, new thermostat, and still havin problems? (Spartanic)

I'm thinking head gasket. This is how it starts, then it will begin to over-heat then cool down, then heat up and cool down. Then the whole thing goes. You don't see leaks because it's leaving your tail pipe as vapor.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:18 AM

Head gasket or seals. I had the same thing happen to me. I just replaced both and I dont have a problem anymore. I didn't have any hose leaks.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:27 AM

Default Re: new water pump, new thermostat, and still havin problems? (Quik Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Quik Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm thinking head gasket. This is how it starts, then it will begin to over-heat then cool down, then heat up and cool down. Then the whole thing goes. You don't see leaks because it's leaving your tail pipe as vapor. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree
Old 11-18-2003, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: new water pump, new thermostat, and still havin problems? (frosteg6)

head gasket dude!
Old 11-18-2003, 09:14 AM

Default Re: new water pump, new thermostat, and still havin problems? (99blackcivicSi)

it would be just nmy luck if the head gasket was going....cause i am totally broke.

i'm takin it now too the guy who did my swap, see what he thinks...i don't know though, cause i was out earlier to start it up and now i got a nice big puddle of coolant on the street...it seems to be leaking from the thermostat housing, so maybe i just didn't titen everything enough when i did the thermostat, but that was in july...anyhow, i really appriciate all the help...eventhough almost everyone of you pointed towards the headgasket.
Old 11-18-2003, 12:48 PM

well hopefully it was the right conclusion to have, and i think it was but it seems as though the coolant was escaping from the Hondata intake mainifold gasket, and the plastic washers it came with, the end bolt towards the intake was totally loose, and some of the others were a little loose as well, so hopefully that is the end of that...