Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

New Daily Driver - Few Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Daily Driver - Few Questions (1997 Civic HX)

Hey all - I've been dormant since I finished selling all my parts from my 92 civic hatch and sold the car (no time or money for the project).

Anyway I picked up a 97 Civic HX (D16Y5, 5 speed, power everything, A/C) from an auction and now just want it as a daily driver. Got it home, changed the oil, put new wires (doing the plugs this weekend), and bought a new timing belt to install in the next couple weekends when I have time.

A friend of mine suggested this:
(Lucas Fuel Treatment)
http://www.hardwarestore.com/m...0.jpg

Put it in on a full tank at the recommended amount for my tank - and half a tank later my check engine light came on. Found out it's throwing a misfire in cylinder 3 and 4 and a general ignition misfire code. When I checked the wires then I found the wire separated from the coil at the end (that was when I put new wires on). No shaking, no shudder, nothing changed on acceleration.

Aside from plugs - any other suggestions? I'll probably do the plugs this weekend.

Modified by mohater at 10:36 AM 9/19/2007
Old 09-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: New Daily Driver - Few Questions (mohater)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mohater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey all - I've been dormant since I finished selling all my parts from my 92 civic hatch and sold the car (no time or money for the project).

Anyway I picked up a 97 Civic HX (D16Y5, 5 speed, power everything, A/C) from an auction and now just want it as a daily driver. Got it home, changed the oil, put new wires (doing the plugs this weekend), and bought a new timing belt to install in the next couple weekends when I have time.

A friend of mine suggested this:
(Lucas Fuel Treatment)
http://www.hardwarestore.com/m...0.jpg

Put it in on a full tank at the recommended amount for my tank - and half a tank later my check engine light came on. Found out it's throwing a misfire in cylinder 3 and 4 and a general ignition misfire code. When I checked the wires then I found the wire separated from the coil at the end (that was when I put new wires on). No shaking, no shudder, nothing changed on acceleration.

Aside from plugs - any other suggestions? I'll probably do the plugs this weekend.

Modified by mohater at 10:36 AM 9/19/2007</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah stay away from any of those so called "performance" additives.

since you have the timing belt, you should also replace the water pump while you are there. get a cap/rotor/wires before replace the plugs, and a fuel filter. change out the tranny fluid and now you will have a tuned up car.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: New Daily Driver - Few Questions (philosofy1)

The guys are carquest (they're usually old mechanics just wanting an easy job), so I usually take their word - which is why I usually only use the Lucas stuff.

I'll add cap/rotor and fuel filter to the weekend jobs (should be easy as well). Hopefully find somewhere with a lift to do tranny.

Thanks.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

naw u dont need a lift to do the tranny. u can do it on the driveway or street. I did as well as many others. Not hard either.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just for the luxury and less mess... maybe I'll do it this weekend too...
Old 09-19-2007, 10:29 AM

Default Re: (mohater)

I work at a car parts store, and I hear at least once a day (from reputable mechanics) that Lucas fuel additives are the best you can use.

Since you already did wires, then i would replace spark plugs (assuming you did not do this). Then, as stated above, cap and rotor. Maybe check the air/fuel/tranny filters to make sure they are in good shape.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Tuesdaynightfever)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tuesdaynightfever &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Lucas fuel additives are the best you can use.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

And don't forget about oil.

I use the fuel additive on every car I own(ed). I swear by the stuff.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Now I'm confused as to what triggered my check engine light...
Old 09-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mohater)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mohater &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now I'm confused as to what triggered my check engine light...</TD></TR></TABLE>
I can tell you this it wasn't the fuel additive you used. you said it was a random miss fire on #3 it could be cap,rotor,plugs,plug wires, or a loose wire
Old 09-19-2007, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (instructor74)

Do everything while you're changing the timing belt....belt, tensioner, water pump, and seals

Might as well get some new belts too
Old 09-19-2007, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (instructor74)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instructor74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I can tell you this it wasn't the fuel additive you used. you said it was a random miss fire on #3 it could be cap,rotor,plugs,plug wires, or a loose wire </TD></TR></TABLE>

I tried to pull out the wires when I had the code checked and I found the wire separated from the coil (#1 cylinder - but it was probably touching while it was in there). I bought wires there and then.

Will do the rest this weekend.

Thanks,
Old 09-19-2007, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Use HONDA MTF! the new formula owns. haha