Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need your help Honda Tech, ignition Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your help Honda Tech, ignition Problems

Ok To start off i will set the story for you,I have a 94 Civic EX coupe...So I was driving today and went around a turn and the car shut off...like a kill switch was hit, still had lights powersteering etc. I slowed the car to a stop and tried to start the car back up, i tired maybe 5 times and on the 6th time it started i drove it home(prob 2 miles). Got it home and me and my dad were trying to figure out what was up. Now it wont crank, so i went to the autozone and bought new plugs, wires, distributor cap(it was cracked) and a new rotor for the inside. We did all that and then i started right up no problem it sat there and ran for probably 10 minutes and then shut off again. Like someone flipped the a kill switch. So i was fiddling around and found out that if i turn the key to get it to turn over the egine will run if i hold the key ON, but as soon as i let go the engine shuts off..Whats wrong??

Oh and PS i took the wheel off but when i get to the part of takeing it off i have one of the yellow plugs un-done but the other one (cruise control side) i cant get off..Any help with that as well

Thanks for your time and sorry the story is so long..

-NICK
Old 10-04-2009, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need your help Honda Tech, ignition Problems

Keep it to the top, need some help guys, my car dosnt run!

-NICK
Old 10-04-2009, 05:12 PM

have you ever worked with the main relay? it's a common problem in your gen.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No i havent, what would make you think its the main Relay?

-NICK
Old 10-05-2009, 12:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Black Diamond
Ok To start off i will set the story for you,I have a 94 Civic EX coupe...So I was driving today and went around a turn and the car shut off...like a kill switch was hit, still had lights powersteering etc. I slowed the car to a stop and tried to start the car back up, i tired maybe 5 times and on the 6th time it started i drove it home(prob 2 miles). Got it home and me and my dad were trying to figure out what was up. Now it wont crank, so i went to the autozone and bought new plugs, wires, distributor cap(it was cracked) and a new rotor for the inside. We did all that and then i started right up no problem it sat there and ran for probably 10 minutes and then shut off again. Like someone flipped the a kill switch. So i was fiddling around and found out that if i turn the key to get it to turn over the egine will run if i hold the key ON, but as soon as i let go the engine shuts off..Whats wrong??

Oh and PS i took the wheel off but when i get to the part of takeing it off i have one of the yellow plugs un-done but the other one (cruise control side) i cant get off..Any help with that as well

Thanks for your time and sorry the story is so long..

-NICK
It's that funky Honda ignition switch. The telltale diagnosis is that it keeps running when you hold the key on the run (not starter engage) position. You could buy a new ignition switch and change it out yourself. The switch contacts are simply the solder. It melts and wears down, so that contact is nonexistent in the regular spring return run position. You have to take the switch off from the back of the steering column, take off the plastic column cover. Disconnect battery first, you don't want to set off the airbag by mistake. There is even a DIY switch repair, found on the internet, but a bit more involved. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangotreemechanic
It's that funky Honda ignition switch. The telltale diagnosis is that it keeps running when you hold the key on the run (not starter engage) position.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:34 AM

So i was fiddling around and found out that if i turn the key to get it to turn over the egine will run if i hold the key ON,
my bad, i missed this sentence. i agree with mango that it appears far more likely to be the ignition is you have to mess with it. in the 6th gen there is even a recall for the ignition switch.

On a side note, hey RonJ, good to see ya here.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so if i take that off then what am i looking for.. i have my car all apart and need it fixed asap..so let me know guys..

Thanks

-NICK
Old 10-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mundy5
On a side note, hey RonJ, good to see ya here.
Good to see you too mundy.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so if i take that off then what am i looking for..
Old 10-05-2009, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so now that i am on the same page will i have to buy a whole new ignition switch with keys or what??

-NICK
Old 10-05-2009, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Search on e-Bay where you can purchase only the electrical part of the switch.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok so now that i am on the same page will i have to buy a whole new ignition switch with keys or what??

-NICK
The switch is a separate part from the key lock cylinder (the part with the key). Need to check for your model, how to get in and separate the two. I did it for my Accord, so it likely is different. You should be able to buy a new switch from online sites like Majestic Honda and others (Google search will help). Your dealer will have it, so check the price since online order will have to add shipping cost.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well guys i got it FIXED....Yippie, i had everything taken apart and i found the part you guys were talking about, there were two screws, i pulled on it a little to loosen it to see where it ran to and yada yada, well its tucked in the harness and you cant get to it without takeing the dash out, so i went to the salvage yard and got a really good looking electronic ignition switch (thats the correct terminilogy) so i got that and had to splice it, so i got mine a spliced it and then did a nice job with the wire conectors and taped and shrink tubed everything back to looking like factory, About 25$ dollars later it runs like a top...Thanks For all your input guys i really appriciate it..But there is one more problem once everything was back together the SRS light wont go off, i did everything from a Hayes manual when takeing everything aparts so i really dont know what is UP..

LMK guys and thanks again for all your Help..

-NICK
Old 10-05-2009, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

try resetting the airbags. i think all you have to do is disconnect the neg battery cable.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Cool, thats what i was going to do, but i just wanted to make sure, i didnt want to make it throw a code..Thanks again guys for all your help because of you guys my car was down for less then a day!!

Thanks again

-NICK