Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need quick info about rear shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need quick info about rear shocks (remove shock w/o removing 2 LCA bolts)

has anybody removed a spring/shock wihtout lowering the rear LCA arm? i have 3 out of 4 springs installed and the last 1 i stripped about every head of the bolt on the LCA.

So i thought, why not compress the spring with the car jacked up, adn then remove the shock assembly.

the only bolt i could get off was the shock fork bolt. so as long as the spring compresses enough, i could squease it out.

anybody tried this>?

u may need to move to suspension

Modified by YoungKadafi at 7:33 PM 12/14/2006
Old 12-14-2006, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: need quick info about rear shocks (YoungKadafi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YoungKadafi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">has anybody removed a spring/shock wihtout lowering the rear LCA arm? i have 3 out of 4 springs installed and the last 1 i stripped about every head of the bolt on the LCA.

So i thought, why not compress the spring with the car jacked up, adn then remove the shock assembly.

the only bolt i could get off was the shock fork bolt. so as long as the spring compresses enough, i could squease it out.

anybody tried this&gt;?

u may need to move to suspension</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like a good idea, never tried it though.
or you can go to sears and pick those things (i forgot the exact name) that removes bolts even if the heads are stripped.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:57 PM

yea i may do that, but id rather not F with any of the stripped bolts, only get that shock outta there....cause im riding 1 oem and 3 aftermarket springs, which looks and feels like crap.

anybody else compressed the spring on the shock so much that you could squeaze it out? seems like it could work if you unbolted the rear shock from the LCA, and then compressed it, then unbolted the upper top hat from the shock tower
Old 12-14-2006, 06:35 PM

anybody else have any feedback?
Old 12-14-2006, 06:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (YoungKadafi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">or you can go to sears and pick those things (i forgot the exact name) that removes bolts even if the heads are stripped.</TD></TR></TABLE>

extractor?
Old 12-14-2006, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (blinx9900)

it should work as long as the top arm on the rear arm is unbolted u should beable to press down far enough on the whole assem. to just pop it out.. all mine stripped to but i got a torch and lots of tools...
Old 12-15-2006, 05:41 AM

that one is seized too, ive tried for 6 hours. The only one thats not is the one that connects the shock.

i dont have time to cut saw and burn **** for 2 weeks. im driving on 3 dropped springs and 1 OEM and starting to panick. my tread went from 90% down to 50%. So can i get an alignment if I have the front 2 done???? im starting to really panic!!!!!
Old 12-15-2006, 06:58 AM

Get a front end alignment ASAP. your toe is going to be out depending on how far you droped the front.

as far as how to get that LCA bolt out... either use the extractor that philosofy1 said or dril it out and buy a new one from honda. Umbolt the two on the ends on the LCA and remove the entire assembly? You might be able to compress the shock and spring down enough to get it out but I wouldnt bet on it. Good luck.

edit: PB Blaster is the **** for getting seized bolts out.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:09 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: need quick info about rear shocks (YoungKadafi)

I'm kinda confused as to what you're trying to do/asking. But if you're trying to remove the entire shock off the car, but without taking off the LCA, yes you can do it. I've done it with a friend. With the car jacked up on stands, I stood on the wheel studs and pushed down as hard as I could and he removed the shock.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:24 AM

cool, this is what i needed to know, you used a spring compressor to compress the spring/shock enough to remove the spring/shock from underneath the wheel well? because it doesnt look like it will fit out, uncompressed.

Yes, that is the question i am asking, because i need an alignment STAT else my brand new tires will be bald, which are already comming that way. In order to get an alignment i guess i need all 4 springs on 1st, else it will be off no matter what with 3 dropped springs and 1 oem.

Old 12-15-2006, 07:40 AM

Nah you dont need to get all 4 springs on there to get an aligment. the shop may look at you funny but all you need is to have the toe brought to 0. thats what is causing your tires to be shaved off. just have them do the front of the car since I doubt that you have anything to adjust the camber of the rear and it will still be within spec anyways.
Old 12-15-2006, 07:53 AM
cute little bastard

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YoungKadafi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cool, this is what i needed to know, you used a spring compressor to compress the spring/shock enough to remove the spring/shock from underneath the wheel well? because it doesnt look like it will fit out, uncompressed.

Yes, that is the question i am asking, because i need an alignment STAT else my brand new tires will be bald, which are already comming that way. In order to get an alignment i guess i need all 4 springs on 1st, else it will be off no matter what with 3 dropped springs and 1 oem.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I forgot. I have coilovers lol. I don't know about shocks. I guess you're gonna have to do that compressor way
Old 12-15-2006, 08:01 AM

ok, but there is a possiblity it may squease out? im VERY tight on time and if I look at it, I will have around 20 minutes for me to jack up the car, try and remove the bolts and see if it will swap out, and switch the spring before i have to leave again to work.....this is the last day too, because of hollidays i will be driving hundreds of miles and have 0 time to work on my car, thats why im in so much of a rush, and want to punch my face for even thinking about putting springs on my car right about now, whats done is done....i will hit up autozone for some PB blaster and spring compressor, hopefully those guys will actually pay attention to me, and do a simple transaction faster than 10 minutes (doubt it)