Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need help please with MPH needle bouncing around..

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help please with MPH needle bouncing around..

i know search.. i did but i still not sure what to do..
well i just bought another civic hatch as a daily driver.. its a 93 civic dx. the mph needle keep bouncing up and down like crazy.. everything else on the gauge work fine..

what should i check first? help me out please ...
i have $75 buck spare but i would like to know if i could check certain things first before i take it to a shop and atleast know what im doing or what the mechanic trying to tell me / doing to fix it...

so make me list of things i should do / check please... please dont flame on me too.
Thanks for reading .. hope u guys could help me out.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:47 AM

Default Re: Need help please with MPH needle bouncing around.. (girliehonda)

it sounds like it could be one of four things: 1. Bad servo motor in your speedometer. 2. Bad vehicle speed sensor. 3 shorting or grounding out wire. 4. Check all your connections at the cluster and VSS. I'd start there, there maybe more things to check, but thats what Id thing
Old 12-06-2005, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1438300
Old 12-06-2005, 09:59 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Need help please with MPH needle bouncing around.. (BigRonDawg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BigRonDawg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1438300</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 12-06-2005, 10:02 AM

Check the speedometer fuse to see if it is blown. If it is blown, then replace the fuse. If the fuse blows agian, then you probably have a short somewhere....and the mechanic can figure out where the short is. Always check your fuses first. I hope that helps. Good Luck!
Old 12-06-2005, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BigRonDawg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1438300</TD></TR></TABLE>

that is for idle, the OP has a problem with MPH needle.

OP:

take off your VSS and inspect it and clean the connectors on the plug with some alcohol and q tips, that fixed mine.
Old 12-06-2005, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

way to go, posted a link for the totally wrong subject.

i'm going with the above stated. and i am fighting the same problem as you. check the vss, and i heard the speedo itself is known to go bad in our cars, so i do believe that to be a strong possibility. just waiting for the funds to purchase a new speedo from honda.

goodluck, and let us know when you resolve the issue.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks everyone for your replies and info. i will check it again friday after work.
as of now the fuses are fine. the vss plugs clean and connect tight. im not sure where to clean on the VSS? but the plug look clean and good condition..im guessin it might be the gauge harness. hopefully i'll figure it out and save some money if not then i'll save up and take it to a shop..
thanks again everyone..
Old 12-06-2005, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (girliehonda)

what the hell is a speedometer fuse??? is there really a designated fuse for just the speedometer? or is it for the whole cluster? if any at all...

did you check the vss plug at both ends? the sensor end and the harness end...i had that problem and found that it was a corroded terminal at the sensor end, the half that goes into the actual tranny. one of the pinouts was greenish, i cleaned it with some club soda, but it wokked but i dont know for how long because i sold the car shortly afterwards.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (beav)

i believe the fuse for the speedo also is the same for the interior dash lights and tailights and i think its a 15
Old 12-07-2005, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anyone else got any ideas/ tips?

Old 12-08-2005, 05:04 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re:

Have you checked for any check engine codes being stored?

Check your codes (you know how, right?) and if you have a code 17 then there's no doubt you need a new vehicle speed sensor if your connections are good and there's no corrosion in the VSS plug.

Even if you don't have a code 17 stored it could still be the VSS - can you swap one with a friend who's works to verify if it's the VSS or not?

If it's not the VSS then it's the speedo head itself - time to buy a good used cluster.

Old 12-08-2005, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Re: (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Have you checked for any check engine codes being stored?

Check your codes (you know how, right?) and if you have a code 17 then there's no doubt you need a new vehicle speed sensor if your connections are good and there's no corrosion in the VSS plug.

Even if you don't have a code 17 stored it could still be the VSS - can you swap one with a friend who's works to verify if it's the VSS or not?

If it's not the VSS then it's the speedo head itself - time to buy a good used cluster.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

mine did it without ever getting a code 17 until the thing actually died.

OP.

i also forgot to mention, i took my VSS apart, it comes apart into two main pieces and a third piece which is a small "stick" this stick looks like a paddle.

take that "stick" out and clean it very well, also check to see if that grease on it is very sticky, mine was sticky.

so i cleaned the entire inside of the VSS and where teh paddle shaped stick goes and relubed it with industrial mechanical lubricant of some kind.

reinstalled and worked perfectly since
Old 12-12-2005, 11:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok i took off the yellow harness beind my MPH gauge and clean/check it plug it back on... still nothing working. when i tap on top of my dash on the cushion part my needle move. i think its broken. oh yeah now my temp gauge is not working too. when i start up the car and drove to and from work which take 45min the thing didnt even moved up. only alittle pass the Letter C. but when i turn of the car the needle slow drop back . I dont know whats wrong with my GAUGE.

any advice.. i didnt take off the battery connection though when i was unpluging my yellow harness beind the MPH gauge. would that effect anything? i also didnt unplug the temp and fuel harness. i just look at it and left it since it was working but now my temp gauge needle barely goes up.
ok thats all ...i hope i didnt confuse anyone with my blah.. blah..blah ... hehehe... bye...
Old 12-13-2005, 12:29 AM

Check your connection on the vehicle speed sensor. I had the exact same problem with my 93 hb. All I did was unplug the the sensor and look at both the plug and the sensor it's self and make sure they are both clean ( wire brush them) and look at the prongs inside of the plug because they sometimes slide out of place or they get corrosion on them.