Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need Help engine Timing, can't figure it out.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2003, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help engine Timing, can't figure it out.....

I am having problems with my 1987 Honda Civic. Recently, the water pump went out, and busted outside of the case. I replaced the water pump after removing the drive belts, crank pulley and gear. However, when I went to put it back, I screwed the timing all up. I followed the Chilton's and lined up all of the gears to top dead center. The cam was up top, and the crank pulley I lined up to the lower timing case cover, along with the the crank gear. But I see that there is also an arrow on the block that might be a seperate indicator to line up the crank GEAR seperately from the crank pulley (they big round gear that connects to the alternator) Is there anything I am missing? I need help with timing an 1987 1.5 liter honda civic si.

The frustrating thing is that I can't tell if it is indeed a timing issue or a fuel issue, because right before the water pump went out, the PGM-Fi light kept coming on and the car would often times lose power and would have to pull over, like it was sort of starved for gas.

So I can't tell if it's my timing or fuel problems....

How does the timing gears line up in a 1987 civic?
What is the best way to tell if you're having problems with the PGM-FI, or the programmed fuel injection?
Old 05-15-2003, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help engine Timing, can't figure it out..... (bigdaddy79)

The arrow on teh block points to a dot on the lower timing gear which should also be aligned with the crank pulley key. The upper cam gear has a notch in it on both sides that should be lined up close to the surface of the cylinder head. On teh Si's though you line up a mark at the 7 o'clock position on the cam gear to the arrow in the timing cover.
As far as you PgmFi light goes you should start bychecking your codes. Find your ECM,(under the seat I think on yours) there should be a little window with an LED flashing the code there. That is the first place to start.
Old 05-15-2003, 09:39 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Need Help engine Timing, can't figure it out..... (FULLTHROTTLE)

ahhhh...another from Bham!!!!

The mark on the oil pump(block as you say), lines up with a mark on the crank gear.....don't worry about it. If you have the crank pulley off...the key way slot should be facing up, as well as the cam gear.

On the crank pulley...there will be this..... lll l....the isolated "l", indicates TDC in accordance with the valve cover timing marks
Old 05-15-2003, 11:23 PM

Default Re: Need Help engine Timing, can't figure it out..... (Emerika)

Hey Emerika,
I still don't understand the timing on the honda 87 civic. I had both the cam and the crankpulley lined up, but what do you mean about don't about the crankshaft gear? Is that held in by the Key? What does the woodruff key do in relation to the crank pulley/crankgear? Are they both lined to the lower timing case, or what?
Thanks
Bigdaddy79
Old 05-15-2003, 11:28 PM

Default Re: Need Help engine Timing, can't figure it out..... (FULLTHROTTLE)

Hey, thanks for the reply. I am still unclear as to how each gear and pulley is supposed to be aligned in the 87 civic timing system..
I did align the cam shaft, that's easy. I also found the marks on the crank pulley, and lined them up with lower timing case cover. But I am still unclear as to how the woodruff key and the crankgear are supposed to be aligned..?? I had everthing set right according to what you said, but I think that the crankgear might have been set to the lower timing case along with the pulley, making the crankgear off...Is that Possible..
Stumped,
bigdaddy
Old 05-16-2003, 08:55 AM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Need Help engine Timing, can't figure it out..... (bigdaddy79)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bigdaddy79 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey, thanks for the reply. I am still unclear as to how each gear and pulley is supposed to be aligned in the 87 civic timing system..
I did align the cam shaft, that's easy. I also found the marks on the crank pulley, and lined them up with lower timing case cover. But I am still unclear as to how the woodruff key and the crankgear are supposed to be aligned..?? I had everthing set right according to what you said, but I think that the crankgear might have been set to the lower timing case along with the pulley, making the crankgear off...Is that Possible..
Stumped,
bigdaddy </TD></TR></TABLE>

don 't worry about the woodruff keyway slot unless you have the crank pulley off. You won't be able to see the crank gear unless you take the pulley off. Youre cam/crank timing sounds like it's in accordance with each other....