Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need Help with 96 del sol si !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help with 96 del sol si !!!!

well this past saturday my friend and I installed new koni shocks, blox coilovers, discount auto rear brake pads and rotors,and new wheels and tires. all was well we started on our way back home the start started acting funny, started moving very slow and we started smelling brakes... we went back to the shop readjusted the rear brakes we left... it was driving smooth for a little bit then as we got further away we started smelling brakes HORRIBLY but this time it wasnt the back, it was the front. mind you we never touched the front this day, the fronts were done months prior, so when we noticed the smokey nasty brake smell we pulled over and noticed the front rotors were glowing red and the brakes were still smelling.. we drove all the way back to shop at about 11 or so at night sunday and we called a few buddys we worked on the brakes again, one person said the brakes airlocked so they this time worked on them and got them working fine, i then went home and parked the car, yesterday as i was going to drive the car to work the brakes locked up, the brakes started to smell of burning pads, and the car wanted to die couldnt even keep it driving correctly and i had to drive the car home in 1st gear going about 20mph luckly when this happen it was down the street. i noticed the brake pedal got hard and just wasnt acting right, later that night i got home and started it up and the brakes were fine i was able to drive the car into the garage. SO BASICALLY DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE? my buddy believes it to be the master cylinder, what is everyones take on this? any del sol gurus please chime in THANKS GUYS
Old 05-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need Help with 96 del sol si !!!!

bump 28 views no one knows or has had this problem? cmon now....
Old 05-26-2010, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Marin county (aka death's waiting room), SF bay area

I had a problem with an old subaru sort of like this but not as bad. The rear brake had worn so thin that it slipped out of the calipur and got wedged so my rear wheel was not rolling properly. This caused the car to roll slowly...but if the pads and rotors are new (and properly installed of course) that shouldn't be an issue. I would have a pro check the rear brakes, bleed the lines, etc to be on the safe side. You don't want to drive around a potentially unsafe car.

PS I know how it is with a bunch of views and no advice. I still don't know how to get at the lock holding up the rear seat in my ek coupe because the key doesn't work on it...not one bit of advice.
Old 05-26-2010, 02:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The calipers could be sticking and dragging on the pads. If its for sure the front, check which side. If both sides, I would recommend replacing the calipers and bleeding the brakes fully in case there are any contaminants in them
Old 05-26-2010, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hybridmiklo
The calipers could be sticking and dragging on the pads. If its for sure the front, check which side. If both sides, I would recommend replacing the calipers and bleeding the brakes fully in case there are any contaminants in them
thing is the front had no problem til we replaced the rear pads and rotors thats when everything started acting up, and as i said when i toke it out yesterday even today just to pull it out of the garage perfectly fine... which i cant understand to me it seems as the car starts to warm up the brakes start screwing ever since sunday
Old 05-26-2010, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I definitely recommend a brake bleed. Sounds like you're getting air in the the brake system somehow. As the the car bogging it is because of your brake booster. It is a vacuum run component behind the brake master cylinder on the firewall. If it is trying to work too hard because of air in the system (air is compressible as a sealed hydraulic brake line system is not or not as much) that could be your problem. Check your seals on each of your calipers around the pistons, leaks in the rubber hoses, vacuum leaks in the vacuum lines going into the brake booster. Your problem most likely lies within.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by saltybeagle
I definitely recommend a brake bleed. Sounds like you're getting air in the the brake system somehow. As the the car bogging it is because of your brake booster. It is a vacuum run component behind the brake master cylinder on the firewall. If it is trying to work too hard because of air in the system (air is compressible as a sealed hydraulic brake line system is not or not as much) that could be your problem. Check your seals on each of your calipers around the pistons, leaks in the rubber hoses, vacuum leaks in the vacuum lines going into the brake booster. Your problem most likely lies within.
no one thinks it might be the master cylinder? i did a brake bleed sunday, it remedied it for a lil while not to long though lol
Old 05-27-2010, 07:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by donmeca2020
no one thinks it might be the master cylinder? i did a brake bleed sunday, it remedied it for a lil while not to long though lol
Why would the master cylinder go out after doing the brakes? Did you bleed the brakes in the correct order? Check the rear brake area for damaged bleeders, brake lines etc and like I said check the seals on the pistons on the calipers. Also how full is your master cylinder? I know that compressing the pistons (in order to get the pads on) will add additional pressure into the system and raise the brake fluid level. I suppose its possible that could have damaged the master cylinder if it got too full or you didn't take the cap off while doing so. Check it out and let us know what you find.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by saltybeagle
Why would the master cylinder go out after doing the brakes? Did you bleed the brakes in the correct order? Check the rear brake area for damaged bleeders, brake lines etc and like I said check the seals on the pistons on the calipers. Also how full is your master cylinder? I know that compressing the pistons (in order to get the pads on) will add additional pressure into the system and raise the brake fluid level. I suppose its possible that could have damaged the master cylinder if it got too full or you didn't take the cap off while doing so. Check it out and let us know what you find.
well the car is 14 years old lol that might have something to do with it, but yea i might go ahead and check that out this weekend
Old 05-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by donmeca2020
well the car is 14 years old lol that might have something to do with it, but yea i might go ahead and check that out this weekend
I talked with someone about this and it made me think. Airlock in your brakes is BS. Air causes your brakes spongy and not hard and lock up. The suggestion is to completely clean out your brake fluid. Its possible that while doing your brakes brake dust or some other contaminant got into your system. Brake seals arent perfect and air is not your problem. Cleansing your system is probably the best way to go. Since your friend has a shop i assume they can to a power brake bleed? The reason your car was having trouble was the extra strain the locked up brakes put on the power train. Do a full flush and clean all the seals extremely well with brake cleaner. Your problem should take care of itself.