Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

new brakes queston

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new brakes queston

i just put in some new pads in my del sol si which has rear disk. The passenger rear caliper was kind of rusted and harder to turn in than the other side. After i was finished I took it for a drive and the brakes worked fine except it seems like the brakes are still putting friction on the rotors without pushing the brake. what could be the problem? how tight are the bolts holding the caliper suppose to be? any help will be appriciated.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new brakes queston (Drewkraft)

could try adjusting the ebrake cable,, remove the plastic console thing around the ebrake and you'll see a i believe it was a 10mm nut that you turn to help put more or less tension on the cables
Old 09-06-2006, 10:06 AM

Default Re: new brakes queston (john666)

k thanks ill try it when i get home.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: new brakes queston (john666)

I speak from a lot of experience on this. The rear brake caliper has an ebrake mech in it and has to be turned in to push the puck back. If it was really hard to turn in then the ebrake mech might be damaged, that would mean replacing that caliper. The other thing is that these things love to seize up. I hope when you had it apart to replace the pads you also replace the hardware and rubber pin guides on both sides and lubed them with a good synthetic slide lube. Last thing if all is working right if you did not cut the rotors or replace them. the new pads will take a bit to scuff into the old rotor surface and will be a little noisy until they do.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:02 AM

Default Re: new brakes queston (instructor74)

The piston was hard to get in and hard to turn it while having someone else holding it with both hands but the other side was a breeze. how do u get the pin things out? i also forgot to mention that after driving on the freeway after breaking in the brakes the rims were really hot and u could feel the heat from the brakes a foot away. im not sure if its normal for them to get this hot after putting on new brakes. and thanks for the response instructor74.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

when looking at the rear brakes. remove the to bolts from the caliper 12mm I think. this will let you remove the caliper from the caliper bracket. hang the the caliper out of the way I like to use a piece of wire and tie it to the spring. What you should see is the caliper bracket with the slide pins in it and a rubber boot covering the each pin. Take a pair of vice grips and grab the end twist it to see if it moves. (you should be able to move it with your fingers.) If it is tight or will not turn. use some heat and the vice grips to work out the pin. be careful not to brake the caliper mount. Replace the slide pin guides (rubber boots) and the slide pins, lube them with a good synthetic caliper lube. When you put the boots and pins back in there is a groove inside the caliper bracket to seat the boot in and one on the pin to do the same make sure the boots are in the grooves all the way around. You should do this to both sides of the car. However it sounds to me like the side that the caliper did not go in easy should be replace. I would relube the pins on the other side and replace the bad caliper
Old 09-07-2006, 01:52 PM

Default Re: new brakes queston (instructor74)

it was the bottom pins, they were bitch to get out. i just sprayed some liquid wrench on them and twisted them until i was able to turn them all the way around. then i just used a torch to heat them up, it still took some effort to get them out but they finally did. i replaced all the pins and it works even better than when i bought the car. thanks all for the help.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Glad to see that it worked for you. I do this as a regular maintenance once a year to keep any problems from happening.