Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

need d16y8, story inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2004, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need d16y8, story inside

okay... so i got some nology hot wires... i went out to get something, came back and my friends had already put the wires on... they all looked on and everything was okay... so i drive around for a week and everythings all good... then i check it one day and theyll all on just fine... but i guess they werent really on okay... i was driving around yesterday for about an hour... and i started hearing this knocking noise coming from the engine at a certain rpm... i heard the sound once before but it went away by itself... so i drive around for about another hour before i get home (downtown traffic... mostly idle)... i get home and open the hood and one of the spark plug wires is off... so i pull the wire out and the silver ball on the end of the spark plug is off... i take the spark plug out... screw that ball back on... put it in, torque it to 156in-lb... put the wire on... drive around and my car has its power back and its running on all four... then about 15 minutes later the power is gone again and i hear the knocking... and it only went downhill from there... i drive around some more and it got to the point that the sound was so loud and awful (in a short matter of minutes) that i just pulled over and called a tow truck... i have a lot of people look at it and they explained to me that because it was running on three, too much fuel got into the one cylindar and when i fixed the wire... it went to push the piston up and there was too much fuel that it just screwed up the bearing rod... and then it got worse and screwed up the other three... and now its pretty owned... soooooooooo... im pretty sure i need a new engine... it would cost too much to fix my old one... i dont want to throw in a cheap motor and i dont want to throw in a performance motor... just the same motor thats in it now...

so anyone know a good place to buy a d16y8 for a 98 civic ex with manual transmission? im hoping it wont cost too much...

thanks!
Old 06-17-2004, 07:57 PM

Default Re: need d16y8, story inside (imk)

i'm still not sure how the spark plug wire popping of had anything to do with a rod bearing...

anyhow...

cheapest fix... keep the head and find a dx block... mini me!
Old 06-17-2004, 07:59 PM

they said because the spark plug wire wasnt hooked up, it wasnt detonating... and because it wasnt detonating, too much fuel got in the cylinder... and then that caused it to have too much resistance when pushing the piston up... which caused the rod to get owned...

i mean... i dunno if it could be anything else... its definately sounding like metal banging metal... which isnt good... so any other ideas are welcomed...
Old 06-17-2004, 08:00 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: need d16y8, story inside (evosol)

err..

tell me you didnt torque your ******* spark plug to 156 lb's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-17-2004, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: need d16y8, story inside (Tad)

in-lbs he said
Old 06-17-2004, 08:01 PM

nooo... its 156 "IN"-lb... which is way different... its like... barely even a quarter of a turn... i torqued it to the exact spec the manual said... its all good
Old 06-17-2004, 08:26 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (imk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by imk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nooo... its 156 "IN"-lb... which is way different... its like... barely even a quarter of a turn... i torqued it to the exact spec the manual said... its all good </TD></TR></TABLE>

oh phew! guess i glazed over the in part.

anyhoo, you probly flooded one of your pistons...
now if it was completely flooded.. I really would not expect that to blow the motor,
imo there should have been so much fuel in there(if it was in fact injecting fuel the whole time with no spark) that when you did get spark, it should have just bogged out,

its not like the spark would ignite all that fuel and blow your ****.
running LEAN is what is really dangerous, which is too LITTLE fuel.

you didnt see any CEL codes while all this was going on!?!?

and yo, i've said it before and i'll say it again,
get OEM WIRES anything else is a DOWNGRADE! serious.

anyways, have your engine checked out,
i'm not sure what the process would be for emptying out a flooded chamber,
but once thats done it might be ok...
**** idunoo..
Old 06-18-2004, 08:32 AM

it wasnt that it ignited and blew the engine... the way i was explained is that too much fuel got in there, and it didnt detonate because no spark... and because there was so much in there, and because the piston needs to move up a certain amount... it couldnt... there was too much resistance from the fuel... so it couldnt push the piston all the way up... which damaged something... i dunno

im at home right now picking up my original OEM wires... ill try those and pick up some more spark plugs and see what that will do... but the sound its making isnt just misfiring or anything, its harsh metal sounds banging against each other...

there were also no codes that appeared or anything... everything on the dash looked fine...
Old 06-18-2004, 08:42 AM
In The Garage

you're kinda sayin that all the fuel inthe flooded cylinder sort of hydrolocked the engine, thus spinning a rod bearing. not unheard of. but the fact that you said that the little ball on the top of the spark plug came off tells me that you're not using NGK plugs, which should be the ONLY thing that ever goes into your engine. only rinkity-bunk-*** domestic bullshit like bosche's have the ***** that come off. don't ever stick that **** in your car. anyways, the nology wires are okay, i actually have them, but they wil be soon replaced by NGK blues.
get those here:
http://www.importrp.com/catalo...=1996

and i hope you didn't **** up your engine too badly. good luck
Old 06-18-2004, 08:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

basically what happens is the ring on the piston requires a little bit of oil that coats the cylinder wall to move up and down without galling or scoring the cylinder wall. The excess fuel took that oil away so what you had was the piston moving up and down and no lubrictiy which caused the ring and piston to fail most likely destroying the better part of your sleeve. As for the other three they should be fine you'll just have to replace that piston, rings and sleeve and since you're already doing that much you might as well rebuild the whole bottom end. Sorry for the bad news. If you feel that I am incorrect just take the head off and look at the cylinder wall it will tell the whole story. If you don't want to go through all that then just look for a new block that doesn't have a million miles on it and you should be fine.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:50 AM

they were actually the nology silverstone sparkplugs... but ill pick up some ngk's...

what are the estimates to fix a rod bearing? or would it just be better to get a whole new motor?
Old 06-18-2004, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Am I posting becasue i I like to hear this stupid clicking of the keyboard?! NO! The rod bearing and piston slap can sound almost Idnetical. If you get a mchanic under it and it's not a rod bearing you're going to be out a lot more money once he's done.
Old 06-18-2004, 12:36 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

diagnose whats really wrong,
WE CANT TELL YOU

if it is the sleeves.. rods.. or bearings..
any of that.

just go find a used block,
you should be able to find a used Y8 block for really cheap, like $1-200
if it was a d16z6 you could find one real cheap, 100bucks easy.

if you're so inclined you could definetely install it yourself, but it will take some time and a good deal of labor.

but you could definetely do it and save loads of money.
all the labor will be very expensive to pay someone to do it for you.

basically its an engine swap, but you have to swap the head and everything over to the new block while its out.