Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Need to clean VSS harness... any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2005, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need to clean VSS harness... any tips?

This is my first post... long time lurker (2+ years).

Anyways, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as to how I should clean my VSS harness. I use baking soda/water on battery terminals, but never had to clean any actual harnesses or electrical system components. I'm not really sure how to go about this process, so I'm looking for a little advice. I'm throwing a code 17 CEL (VSS), and I've noticed some corrosion around the harness. I've thought about just replacing the VSS, but the dealership quoted me $92 w/ shipping for an automatic VSS for a 92 Civic DX Hatch w/ D15B7. The junkyards are scarce around here because of the fact that most people around here own Hondas & Acuras. So I want to determine the problem before I go around spending money. A search turned up useful information, but nothing specific. I'm planning on doing the 5-speed swap w/ an EX tranny when I find one, but I could use a fix for now. Any advice is appreciated.

I enjoy the FAQs and Q&As this site has. There are a lot of experienced and intelligent people here, with the occasional nitwit "elite"ist, but I hope to make my own little place here. Keep up the good work guys!
Old 09-01-2005, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump - Because it moved back 2 pages in less than 2 hours. Surely someone has done this before.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DestructoEH)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1358305

read my post

there is one bolt holding the VSS to the tranny, undo it and take out the actual VSS and clean it off.

Go get a spray for electronic components to clean the connector and then try it again.
Old 09-03-2005, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Need to clean VSS harness... any tips? (DestructoEH)

Sorry I bumped an old topic, but I didn't think it deserved a new topic.

I got the sensor clean, but I apparently dropped the pin that connects the gear shaft to the little roller thing in the sensor.... it's a little pin that looks like it has wings... So I guess the question I should be asking now is "does anyone have a d-series auto tranny laying around?" I would pay someone if they can hook me up with a working speed sensor (complete unit - gear & all). I know some of you swap guys have one laying around. Someone hit me up because I don't think I can get PMs or post in the Marketplace yet. The guys at the junkyard won't let me get just the sensor, they make you buy the whole tranny... but I don't want to buy an auto tranny if I'm going to do the EX 5-spd tranny swap in a couple of months anyway.

Thanks for the info Mr. RHTuner... very much appreciated.