Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

N/A or Turbo for Spirited Daily Driving in Hot, Humid Texas. RELIABILITY.

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts
Default N/A or Turbo for Spirited Daily Driving in Hot, Humid Texas. RELIABILITY.

I am mostly looking for responses from people who have lived with, and driven cars like described on a day in/day out basis. I want to hear the nitpicky little things that happen, like a bolt backing out or a small line or plastic wrap getting melted, etc... Just the daily routine.

Daily driven with the odd track day/autox here and there (few times a year). Assume a professional/excellent tune on either build. 93 octane, no meth no E85.

Keep debating on what's realistic for my next build. Turbo would be nice, but I'm worried about heat/humidity in stop and go traffic. Car will be daily driven with AC, I'll remove the fan and put a ceramic coated heat shield between the condenser and manifold, with an electric push fan in front. All lines will be heat wrapped. I'll be using locking nuts and washers to avoid having things back out from vibration, with a proper flex pipe. I'll have a heat shield (not blanket) around the turbo to help stop radiant heat, while still letting the housing breathe a bit. Ceramic coated manifold and exhaust housing.

For all motor, I'd hope for 220+WHP. For turbo, I would only want 300-350WHP. I would NOT go over roughly this boundary.

Both builds will have new ACL/ARP goodies, and appropriate fuel systems and drivetrains. Dual Core half size rad W/ pull fan and shroud.

Turbo Build TL;DR:
Sleeved B20V, forged 11:1 compression, stock ITR head W/ Supertech valvetrain.
Go-Auto StreetX Cast Iron Log Kit W/ GTX2863R. 3" Exhaust.
ACL Bearings/ARP Hardware/Cometic Gasket, etc. New oil/water pump timing belt/etc.

All Motor TL;DR:
(Sleeved if needed) B20V, Forged 12.5:1. ITR head.
Skunk2 Pro2 Cams/Valvetrain/LMA.
Full Intake/Exhaust.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: N/A or Turbo for Spirited Daily Driving in Hot, Humid Texas. RELIABILITY.

dailyed a boosted ef b18 block b16 head on e85 etc no issues make sure u have a good fan and rad and should be okay and keep up with fluids and coolant
Old 03-15-2017, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: N/A or Turbo for Spirited Daily Driving in Hot, Humid Texas. RELIABILITY.

Originally Posted by ssmrico
dailyed a boosted ef b18 block b16 head on e85 etc no issues make sure u have a good fan and rad and should be okay and keep up with fluids and coolant
Thanks for the reply. How many miles did you drive it while boosted?

And yeah, I'll be using a Go-Auto dual core with a fan and shroud.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

eh idk miles it was driven often 30 miles one way and 30 another I would say 20k plus for sure then drove it less because another car now its more of a toy car in memory of my pops that had it and passed away so im upgrading it
Old 03-16-2017, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Bumping just because I'd still really like to hear from people who have owned these types of cars, and drive from both a daily commute perspective and track/AutoX.

I don't have to decide on my powerplant until later this year for this car, but really just trying to get some first hand insight into this. Extra power from a GTX2863 would be amazing, but seeing videos online of all the glowing exhaust manifolds on turbo Miatas/Evos/Whatever after only a couple pulls has me kinda worried, especially considering I'll be driving this in the middle of summer at 100+ degrees weather, with probably 50%+ humidity fairly regularly.

Owned a turbo S2K for awhile in Texas and had a LOT of heat issues until I figured out how to iron some of them out, but then had to sell the car before ever really figuring out how long that setup would last.
Old 03-16-2017, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

those red glow is at WOT getting on it racing not just cruising. I been on a 62mm turbo the whole time daily and raced at drag strip and all good. and yes the s2000 are diff and weird when boosted my bro has one he just done again had to do the cut hood mod for better cooling