Notices

Daily Driver Turbo/SC tips/tricks/general discussion

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 04:58 PM
Swaggylicious

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Daily Driver Turbo/SC tips/tricks/general discussion

I don't know if a thread like this already exist but I thought it would be a good idea to the small number of us that daily drive our turbo/sc Hondas.

Not a thread about power but more so about setups. Cooling system, venting, wrap/blankets, any tips or tricks that helps with driving the car everyday and being more efficient etc

I'm talking constant stop and go traffic, every morning and night from work,home,store,you name it. Whether you drive 30 or 300 miles a day...

Post your setups and experiences. What's works, what didn't. How's your ac and ps holding up?

I'll start with mine. Not much to show, basic cast log manifold, PTE 5451b, 2.5" cold side piping,3" hot side. Fluidyne rad,spal 13" fan. Oem fan for condenser

I've wrapped the manifold,down pipe and dump tube with DEI Titanium wrap before. Honestly, after about 6 months, driving in the rain etc, the thing literally cracks and falls off

I've had a turbo blanket on and it was a great improvement and noticeably much less heat soak. Throttle response stayed great even sitting in stop and go in 90+ degree weather. Unfortunately, I was running a pusher slim fan on my condenser and it eventually failed and my ac blew hot and it actually cracked the ac line on the rad support. Went back to oem fan and ac is much better ,only gets warm sitting still and even then it's very slight

I was running filter less for a while and finally made an intake from an old cai and some couplers. Popped an AEM filter on. Definitely felt a decrease in power, but it's safer I suppose

Post away!
Attached Images   
Old 07-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Swaggylicious

Has anyone experienced lower temps by doing the washer trick to the hood to let it vent?

Anyone running a scoop?

How many of us are running water wetter in addition to honda coolant? Did it make a difference?

Anyone running those radiator cooling plate on the rad support? Any benefit or just looks? What about blocking off the surrounding areas of the radiator with a foam type material ?
Old 07-02-2014, 08:28 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Daily Driver Turbo/SC tips/tricks/general discussion

No problems here... dat cali LYFE DOE
Attached Images  
Old 07-03-2014, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My setup is rather simple. Daily driven ~90 miles round trip every day.

2000 sir canada car
B16a2 with Nippon replacement pistons, ARP rod bolts, golden eagle headstuds and gsr cams.
Itr manifold, stock tb and sfi 750cc ev14 injectors.

Running an inlinepro manifold with a billet wheel Silver Surfer.
3" downpipe with ac and powersteering, dumptube recirculated.

Also have 2 decent size resonators and a flat back vibrant muffler. (Wanted as quiet as possible for a DD)

It's on 19 psi right now daily driven and tuned by me. Still maintaining 29 mpg with very spirited driving.

I have no heat soak issues really however I'm wanting to replace my hasport mounts with stock ones polyeurethane filled because the vibrations with the ac on is horrible.

The hasports have the 65a inserts.

How is everyone else's vibrations with the ac on?
Old 07-03-2014, 09:52 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Maybe raise the idle when the ac.is on?

How much power are you making on those pistons?

19Psi on that turbo had to put you above 300whp right?
Old 07-03-2014, 11:01 AM
Swaggylicious

Hmm haven't really noticed any crazy vibration issues with the ac on. I'm using innovative 75a Impressed at how they're holding up actually, then again I rarely drive it hard

Edit

I have notice my summit box vibrating more when the ac is on since I mounted it in the glovebox though
Old 07-03-2014, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah i have contemplated turning up idle when the compressor is on. I just haven't touched the tune in 3 months or so ha. Therefore I haven't really tuned idle with the ac on much.

I'm not sure how much power it's making, never have had it on a dyno. I just tuned ignition timing by reading plugs and it's right at the bend of the plug timing wise so it's pretty dead on. This feels pretty slow to me because I built it right after I parted out my 650whp civic. However it really should be at least 300 whp judging that it is a 57mm turbo and the cast Surfer was rated at 61 lb/min I believe. I'm thinking it's more like 375-400 whp but who knows. I really need to get it on a dyno though ha. I have about 12,000 miles on the setup so far without issue.

I'm going to throw some water/meth on it later on and see what this little bottom end willl handle. It's really been a nice, streetable daily driver though.

As far as vibrations go, I guess it's just time for me to trace down some rattles more and raise the ac idle to see if that does anything.

For daily turbo cars I definitely recommend the turbo water lines that way you're not coking oil during interstate driving and such. I have them but also with dei heat sleeves over them.

And the OP asked about water wetter, I run water wetter in my coolant. Mimishimoto radiator with fan in a pusher config as well. Ect on datalog never goes over 202-203 on hot days in traffic however it will creep up to 205 or 206 with a/c on.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:51 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

if you raise the idle then the vibrations should go away. normally with stiffer mounts you only notice the vibrations when the motor is at idle/low rpm. typically once the vehicle is moving you never notice it, at least that's been my experience with everything from innovative mounts with the race inserts to 100% solid billet mounts on various chassis.
Old 07-04-2014, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Never seen someone turn their WG around like the op.
Does that not get hot by those hoses?
Looks whack with that long dump tube, but I guess cuz a/c?
****, my WG hit the valve cover with my ebay cast mani I had dumping forward.
Can't believe it fit.

Old 07-04-2014, 05:31 PM
Swaggylicious

Yep **** got way too tight around the compressor/ps area so we just flipped it and the longest dump tube ever was born

Surprisngly , doesn't get hot, I can touch by hand after a drive usually
Old 07-04-2014, 05:35 PM
Swaggylicious

And **** vht, that's the paint or lack thereof that's on the valve cover now

I have another cover getting some breather fittings welded and off to the powder coater it goes
Old 07-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 07-05-2014, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by $amGD3
I've wrapped the manifold,down pipe and dump tube with DEI Titanium wrap before. Honestly, after about 6 months, driving in the rain etc, the thing literally cracks and falls off

Spraying the wrap with VHT header coat (silver) increased the life exponentially for me, it's still on...
Old 07-05-2014, 05:31 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

Is that just an issue with the titanium stuff? I'm using their regular fiberglass stuff and it's held up for a couple years now even without the coating they offer.

I'm also using one of their titanium turbo blankets. Had it on about a year and haven't had any issues with that either...
Old 07-05-2014, 05:34 PM
Swaggylicious

Interesting. Did you use the pre wrap spray as well?

I think the biggest amount of heat is coming from the turbo it self,duh, just trying to think of what I can do to help. I wish I can fit a blanket but it's literally 2mm away from the condenser fan haha
Old 07-05-2014, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so you should always wrap it?
Old 07-07-2014, 07:47 AM
Swaggylicious

I mean if she's on the pill, maybe you're ok

you just never know these days

wait wut
Old 07-07-2014, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of cool down times do you guys with oil cooled only turbos do?

If im just putting around casual driving, short trip, no boost etc I will only let it idle when I park maybe 30 seconds.

If im coming off the highway or just did some aggressive pulls in the last 10 minutes I may let it idle 90 seconds.

I know some people dont cool down at all, some probably overdue it...

Im just looking to extend the daily life of my turbocharger, Im not looking to get 100k miles, Im pretty happy its lasted almost 2 seasons actually, but the more the better

oh ps- my gf LOVES sitting in my black interior black car with no a/c while I let it cool down but I'll never cave, car first
Old 07-07-2014, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinEF7
oh ps- my gf LOVES sitting in my black interior black car with no a/c while I let it cool down but I'll never cave, car first
She can get out.

30-120 seconds seems to be typical.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:05 PM
Premium Member

If I'm just creeping around town and not getting on it, as long as oil temps are less than 200F I'll just shut it off. If I've been beating on it I try to drive it easy for the next 5-10 minutes and even then I'll set my turbo timer to 2 minutes or so.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Theres something I didnt even think of, oil temperature. I have a 5.5qt moroso aluminum pan and on a daily drive my oil barely gets to 150. Does that really make a huge difference in the temperature of the turbo?

I thought the turbo would still be oil cooking hot no matter the oil temp that was passing through it
Old 07-07-2014, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 95 Likes on 85 Posts

OP, is there a reason to why your oil pressure switch isnt plugged in
Old 07-07-2014, 03:38 PM
Premium Member

I don't know that it makes a huge difference in the temperature of the turbo itself. However an oil temp gauge gives an excellent reference to just what has been going on with your oil. For example, when normally cruising my oil temps will be around 180F give or take. Now let's say I do a hard 3rd-4th gear pull then I can literally watch the oil temps climb to 205-210 just from one pull. The turbo can get so hot it will actually glow red when you're beating on the car but if you're just creeping around town it's not going to see anywhere near that much heat. If you have an oil-cooled only turbo then oil is obviously passing through it all the time and it's probably the biggest influence in how hot the oil gets on a turbo car. So in my mind, if the oil temps are not excessive you shouldn't have oil cooking in the CHRA.
Old 07-07-2014, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey guys , my setup has been very good to me. I average 30+ mpgs mix hwy/city and 35+ mpgs on the hwy. I use my car a ton and its very reliable. I pick my daughter up in it ocassionally. Im also a musican and travel to play at various jazz festivals. The car does 6 hour road trips no problem. Im running castrox gtx 5w30. Onto the pics.

Go autoworks cast mani
Go autoworks downpipe & dumptube
Turbonetics super 60. 63

Cooling:
Koyo radiator
Mishimoto slim fan (pusher)
Dei titanium exhaust wrapped downpipe
Cx racing turbo blanket
Stock ac condenser with fan.

Ac vent temps in 80 degree weather

Last edited by effin; 07-07-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That the hot side gets so hot hot is exactly why you need to flow some oil thru it (esp. oil cooled only) on cooldown because regardless of temp of oil in pan/crankcase, the small amount clinging to the insides of the chra will bake when shut down hot, and the flow stops... it forms some **** that resembles the material on exhaust valves in a beat engine (coking). Filling small grooves and orifices vital to the smooth running of your Magic Maker
(the Nautilus). Used to be said that synthetic wouldn't coke...I will defer to more educated folks to verify that.
Mine did, but sometimes I would pour some Rotella or Walmart Supertech in there in a pinch.

Eye of the Nautilus, he dives to 2000 ft.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver Turbo/SC tips/tricks/general discussion