Notices

oil seepin from headgasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil seepin from headgasket

i have a built block with a jg pro series head on top. And when i installed the head, it leaks oil from the corner right above the engine code. I replaced the headgasket a couple of times and it seems to do the same. I guess i just need to get rid of the head since it seems like its wrapped. My question is.... it safe to run with a wrapped head on a turbo motor for now.. until i get a hold of another head and some cash? and will it effect my block? thas what i'm really worried about the most.
Old 03-15-2006, 02:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil seepin from headgasket (VTHONDABOY)

why didn't you have the head resurfaced the first time you took it off? you said you replaced it a few times. i doesn't cost much at all to get it resurfaced. if you still drive it you might even warp the block to.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil seepin from headgasket (LilCivic04)

I had it resurfaced each time I changed the headgasket. The first time I sent the head out to JG for the redline proseries head job.
Old 03-15-2006, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its not leaking from the headgasket....its leaking somewhere else and the oil sits in that spot that your talking about....very common problem.
Old 03-15-2006, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: oil seepin from headgasket (Turbo-charged)

I had the same problem , then I asked my builder about it and he told me that he saw it before on an other motor and it stoped after a while , so I gave it time and now it`s fine , I think that`s oil that had passed from the gasket untill it seats properly .

GoodLuck
Old 03-15-2006, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil seepin from headgasket (Marlon88)

check vtec sol. and dizzy for oil leaks i bet its coming from one of the 2 and just puddling down there
Old 03-15-2006, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTHONDABOY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">. I guess i just need to get rid of the head since it seems like its wrapped. My question is.... it safe to run with a wrapped head on a turbo motor for now.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

are you trying to spell warped?

the oil there is not from the headgasket...it can be from the cam seal distributor oring vtec solendoid or valve cover gasket......
Old 03-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its not coming from the cam seals nor the distributor oring, vtec solendoid or value cover gasket. I'm sure that its leakin from the headgasket. I had the head resurface again when i took the head off a second time, and it continues to leak from the corner of the head. How long do you think i have until i have to get a new head?
Old 03-16-2006, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

could the oil leak effect the sleeves,pistons, etc, on the block... in any kind of way?
Old 03-16-2006, 03:49 PM

Default Re: oil seepin from headgasket (Turbo-charged)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Turbo-charged &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its not leaking from the headgasket....its leaking somewhere else and the oil sits in that spot that your talking about....very common problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yep check the 10mm hex bolts that seal up the rocker shafts, theres one behind the dizzy and two underneath the cam gears.

i got my head back from getting new valve seals/guides, and after driving home i noticed oil had pooled up on the front corners where the head meets the block. Traced the wetness back up to the 3 rocker shaft seals. they were NOT torqued down properly and would leak.

did you just get your head done? give it a shot...it may not be a warped head, just not all torqued to spec.
Old 03-16-2006, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: oil seepin from headgasket (KiddEng)

every motor ive had, including the ones ive built have had this ****** problem. both surfaces machined and everything.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ive done everything to try to figure out why it leaks. I tryed to fix the issue by sending my block out to dart to get it sleeved, pistons, rods, iron deck and while the block was sent off... i sent the jg head to a machine shop to get it resurfaced and then assembled the block and head with ARP head studs to specs and it still does the same thing. The only thing i haven't tryed replacing was the head itself. Where do i go from here? This work was done by a pro. shop down here in tx. I worry cause i don't want an invested block/motor to turn into a waste.
Old 03-17-2006, 04:33 AM

Default Re: (VTHONDABOY)

i'd still try the 10mm hex plugs... my head was done by a shop too who specializes in honda heads, and the plugs were still not torqued down to spec.

so just because it was done by a professional shop...they still can forget

from where the oil pools up, is there any trails of noticible "wet-ness" from the oil? When i had the leaks from the plugs, i can visible see a slight "wet-ness" of oil trickling down the head so thats how i sourced my leak.

if it isn't the plugs then idk...good luck on finding leaks, they **** me off too.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:25 AM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had it the same problem. It was the dowel pins were in the wrong holes. They're supposed to be on the intake corners. Simple building mistake.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Muckman)

i had the same issue, it was my dizzy seal on my MSD dizzy, replaced and appears to fix it. that part of the block isn't pressurized, its a drain, so normally isn't the head gasket.

are you copperspraying the headgasket?
Old 03-17-2006, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm not sure if they did copper spray the headgasket. The shop even torque the head down a lil tighter than usual to try to avoid the leak.
Old 03-17-2006, 12:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you want something done right do it yourself. follow these steps:

1 - take off the head

2- <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Muckman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had it the same problem. It was the dowel pins were in the wrong holes. They're supposed to be on the intake corners. Simple building mistake.</TD></TR></TABLE>

3 - <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by KiddEng &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yep check the 10mm hex bolts that seal up the rocker shafts, theres one behind the dizzy and two underneath the cam gears.

i got my head back from getting new valve seals/guides, and after driving home i noticed oil had pooled up on the front corners where the head meets the block. Traced the wetness back up to the 3 rocker shaft seals. they were NOT torqued down properly and would leak.

did you just get your head done? give it a shot...it may not be a warped head, just not all torqued to spec.</TD></TR></TABLE>

4 - <TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by seen4ever &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i had the same issue, it was my dizzy seal on my MSD dizzy, replaced and appears to fix it. that part of the block isn't pressurized, its a drain, so normally isn't the head gasket.

are you copperspraying the headgasket?</TD></TR></TABLE>

5 - assemble the head yourself, you should have no leaks
Old 03-17-2006, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Importordomestic)

Also, if the head was milled, you should grind the dowels down a bit.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:43 PM
Moderator in Chief

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (GPNY)

You dont think the holes have a little clearance on the length of the dowel?