Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is my car backfiring? And is it the engine receiving damage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 02:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is my car backfiring? And is it the engine receiving damage?

Hey HT, I have my B18b1 in my eg hatch and i had my stock CX hatch exhaust moded to fit the b18b1 stock headers/downpipe. With catalytic converter. I have no MAP sensor on the manifold right now as i have no time to get one. I want to know if im damaging my engine? It sounds like it pops and laggs at low rpms for a take off or in a higher gear going slow. I get crap MPG but thats due to the sensor not being there. I just needed some input if its backfiring or not. Any input is appreciated. thanks.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:33 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Is my car backfiring? And is it the engine receiving damage?

You answered your own question. Don't be stupid. Install the missing part. You had time to swap the engine in and fab up a fix to the exhaust system but you don't have the time it would take to hop over to the auto parts store/junkyard to get one? Preposterous.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm surprised your cars even running without it. It seems like too big a vacuum leak to run. But nonetheless that is a must have. Why would you want to run your car that shitty?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
You answered your own question. Don't be stupid. Install the missing part. You had time to swap the engine in and fab up a fix to the exhaust system but you don't have the time it would take to hop over to the auto parts store/junkyard to get one? Preposterous.
First off i swapped when i didnt have a job. Second i took it into an exhaust place to fabricate it to fit. Keep those kind of comments to yourself. I need help.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 97_ek_coupe
I'm surprised your cars even running without it. It seems like too big a vacuum leak to run. But nonetheless that is a must have. Why would you want to run your car that shitty?
Thanks, i didn't choose for it to run shitty for your information. The guy who sold me the engine and harness cut off the connector to the map sensor. Wasn't my fault it wasn't there.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

and actually i didnt answer my own question. I needed to know if this is harming my engine or causing it to backfire. I know i needed a sensor. Please read the post more carefully.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I ran my car without a downstream o2 sensor or muffler and the tailpipe only went about halfway back through the car for about 6 months and the exhaust would burp and gurgle and backfire and I just took off the head to clean the valves and put new seals in and it looks pretty good inside. No signs of excessive wear or anything.

Thats just my experience though
Old 01-05-2013, 12:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes. Back fire's are bad. Just like pre detonation. Pre detonation and back fire's can eventually put a hole through your pistons. Park the car and get it running properly. Otherwise your going to be doing another engine swap. If you NEED the car then try to figure out how else to function w/o it.

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 01-05-2013, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jodyboy it's a great way to remove carbon buildup, but it creates excessive wear internally not visible to the naked eye. Long term use as such is bad

Old 01-05-2013, 01:34 PM
The Grumpiest

Excuses are just that, excuses. In all this time you've owned the car you haven't been able to scrounge up money for a simple MAP sensor? Hard to believe.

That sensor is crucial for the proper operation of your vehicle. As you see firsthand, running without it causes it to run like crap. If you weren't worried about it you wouldn't be on here asking. If you want it to keep running like it is just continue to run without it.

Replace all known deficiencies with your car before you come on a forum asking if what you're doing is okay with your car. In short, get a damn MAP sensor.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Excuses are just that, excuses. In all this time you've owned the car you haven't been able to scrounge up money for a simple MAP sensor? Hard to believe.

That sensor is crucial for the proper operation of your vehicle. As you see firsthand, running without it causes it to run like crap. If you weren't worried about it you wouldn't be on here asking. If you want it to keep running like it is just continue to run without it.

Replace all known deficiencies with your car before you come on a forum asking if what you're doing is okay with your car. In short, get a damn MAP sensor.
I was just asking if it would harm it. Nothing more. You don't need to be criticizing. It was only temporary till i could get a sensor. I'm definitely putting a sensor on it, i just needed to know what is happening while its not on there. Thanks for your comment though.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 92 civic ex 4dr
Jodyboy it's a great way to remove carbon buildup, but it creates excessive wear internally not visible to the naked eye. Long term use as such is bad

Alright thanks for the info. I'll be fixing it soon. I just needed to know if i was already in the hole for cash running without it. I only ran it this way for 2 weeks
Old 01-05-2013, 02:12 PM
The Grumpiest

10 minutes in the parts store and you could have bought it. From the time you posted this until now you could have had it installed already. On the way home from work would be the perfect opportunity. Please don't tell people you didn't have the time in two weeks.

Yes it's causing damage. The car is running super rich. Probably washing those cylinder walls down with gas and mixing with the oil giving it the consistency of ink. Backfiring? That's just ONE of the problems you have.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:19 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Do you still have the CX? If you do they use the same MAP sensor as most D-series engines ('92 - '93 models with a D15B7 are firewall mounted, but other than that you can use any '92 - '95 Civic MAP sensor.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Do you still have the CX? If you do they use the same MAP sensor as most D-series engines ('92 - '93 models with a D15B7 are firewall mounted, but other than that you can use any '92 - '95 Civic MAP sensor.
Thats actually exactly what i did. I have a 95 cx so it was the d15b8. Car runs like a charm now with no check engine light. Thanks though.

Thanks everyone for the input.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

10 minutes in the parts store and you could have bought it. From the time you posted this until now you could have had it installed already. On the way home from work would be the perfect opportunity. Please don't tell people you didn't have the time in two weeks.

Yes it's causing damage. The car is running super rich. Probably washing those cylinder walls down with gas and mixing with the oil giving it the consistency of ink. Backfiring? That's just ONE of the problems you have.
Thanks the last thing you said was really all i needed to know. I fixed it. Runs great now. Thanks for the input.