Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

More brake problems, now for the front rotors...

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2003, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More brake problems, now for the front rotors...

Ok, I have some new cross-drilled cadmium plated rotors that I want to install on my 98 civ' hatch along with some new pads. Pads are easy, but we were trying to figure out how to take the rotor off.

Well, these are the oem rotors from all the way in 98. So I have some questions.

1) The two screws in the hub are bitches. We got one out, (this is on the drivier side rotor) but my friend stripped the other screw. We doused (sp?)them in WD-40, but it didn't seem to help all that much. Would an impact driver really help? Would I be able to rent one from say Autozone?

2) There are two bolts (upper and lower) that seem to hold the caliper on to the wheel/hub (whatever you call it). Sprayed em with WD-40, and they won't budge w/ the ratchet. They are on there gooooood. So what can we do about that?

3) What is PB blaster? I did some searching and that came up a lot. WTF is that stuff? Never heard of it. Is it better than WD-40?

Thanks for all your help. Drum brakes are easy for me to do now, but still a bitch. Rotors will be next on my list. I'm still learnin'. O yea, Batuking, thanks a lot for your help on the previous post I made awhile back. Maybe you can help me again?

Peace,
got nothin' but luv for all my peepz
Old 10-29-2003, 06:31 PM

Default Re: More brake problems, now for the front rotors... (98dxhatch)

i dont think you can get the rotor screws out without an impact driver. As for the bolts thta connect the caliper to the hub, just get a wrench and a hammer and break that thing loose. remember lefty loosey right tighty.
Old 10-29-2003, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: More brake problems, now for the front rotors... (****)

PB Blaster is good stuff man. You can always try a breaker bar on those bolts. As for the stripped screws, try some easy outs.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:33 PM

I have a sol that had the same prob when I was installing my cross drilled rotors. I took a chizel(sp?) and basicly started form the middle to the bottom chiping them away untill I could forcefully remove the rotors over them. with the rotor off the left over come out like a breeze. Also, I took the welder to heat it up to the point of being soft. helped alot. But im the type that if it doesent come off one way then break it off. thats just me....lol.

shoul dhave seen the left over from my stock stereo.....uhg....

-Frost
Old 10-30-2003, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: More brake problems, now for the front rotors... (Frostedsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frostedsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
shoul dhave seen the left over from my stock stereo.....uhg....

-Frost</TD></TR></TABLE>

lmao

anyway I drilled out the rotor screws when they were stripped and seized in there. They came right out after that. And when you put the new ones on, put some anti-sieze on the threads of teh screws before you put them on, that will help a lot.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:29 AM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: More brake problems, now for the front rotors...

Ok now i got a question
I went to change the brake pads and rotors and i noticed the same thing on my 92 si hatch...I tried and tried to get those screws out and they wont come for nothing...Does autozone have an impact driver you can rent??
Old 10-30-2003, 04:35 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Impact drivers work wonders with those rotor screws. Although occasionally, the damn things are frozen in there so tight that you'll twist the tip right off of the driver bit. Make sure you have a few extra bits handy. If you don't have an impact driver, either a) buy one, or b) drill the screws out.

$%&#*@ to Phillips-head screws! I'd like to strangle the moron at Honda who came up with the idea to use rotor screws . . .
Old 10-30-2003, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: More brake problems, now for the front rotors... (Targa250R)

Yeah I broke a bunch of bits trying to get them out. Takes me about 2min with a drill and 1/8" bit.