Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Mini Me Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mini Me Questions

Wassup HT?

I am currently planning on doing my y7-y8 minime swap and i have a few questions that i didnt see answers for when i searched (could be wrong)

1. I have a y8 manifold (manual) and a b16 throttle body and i am putting it onto an auto y7. I know that i dont have to plug the piece on the back of the manual...would i be better off just getting the auto manifold or modifying this one?

2. if i get an auto manifold can i use the b16 throttle body?

3. Should i get a cam for the head while it is out? if so what kind as well as what retainers/v-train items do you recommend?

4. What ecu would keep me obd2 as well as give me the vtec engagement? or should i go with a neo vafc?

thanks in advance
-Whit

Old 12-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mini Me Questions (jdm2000civic)

anyone at all????
Old 12-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Mini Me Questions (jdm2000civic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm2000civic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wassup HT?

I am currently planning on doing my y7-y8 minime swap and i have a few questions that i didnt see answers for when i searched (could be wrong)

1. I have a y8 manifold (manual) and a b16 throttle body and i am putting it onto an auto y7. I know that i dont have to plug the piece on the back of the manual...would i be better off just getting the auto manifold or modifying this one?

2. if i get an auto manifold can i use the b16 throttle body?

3. Should i get a cam for the head while it is out? if so what kind as well as what retainers/v-train items do you recommend?

4. What ecu would keep me obd2 as well as give me the vtec engagement? or should i go with a neo vafc?

thanks in advance
-Whit

</TD></TR></TABLE>

1) I'm pretty sure the back doesn't just have to be blocked off, but welded (air tight). Using a manual one is a big pain in the ***. Use an auto Y8 manifold.

2) You can use the B16 throttle body, some would recommend it, people who study fluid dynamic (ie. me) would not. See going from a smaller openign to a larger one is 100% okay, but going from a larger to a smaller is a bit of a problem. See, the B16 has a wider opening than teh Y8, so there will be a 90º lip that the air has to get around. This will create a lot of turbulence in the throttle body/intake manifold intake port. The turbulence will build up in about a 100º away from the lip towards where their air originally came from. This would put resistance against the air coming in, it will decrease power. I would not recommend using the B16 throttle body unless you have the Y8 intake manifold port matched to the size of the B16. When they're matched, you won't have the turbulence problem robbing horsepower. Will it work though, as in you have nothing else - will it bolt on? Yes.

3) I wouldn't, a cam on a Y8 is pretty "iffy" - I mean you can get one, but it's not going to give you a good increase of power, it's not worth it in my opinion. To get a cam that's going to give you good power it's going to need to be aggressive, in order to do this, a side effect of keepign the valves open that long is overlay - overlay will rape your power if you don't have a higher compression setup. I wouldn't recommend putting anything above a "stage 1" in there (possibly stage II and you could raise the idle a bit) unless you put high compression pistons/rods in there. It's not like it's a 305 mustang motor where it could give you 30hp, you'll see like 10, dyno tuned.

4) VAFC is for people who like to blow motors, and ricers (or a ricer who likes to blow motors).

Get a P2P ECU, that's the Y8 ECU. It's OBD-II and will engage your VTEC. Just remember if you get a 99/00 ECU and you have a '96-'98 car you'll need an OBD conversion harness (and same with vice versa).