Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Which MAP Sensor???

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which MAP Sensor???

So...The CEL indicates #3 MAR Sensor. However there are 2 types available as far as I know, one is like 70$ and one is like 300$. There is one for the 1.6L engine and one for the 1.5L engine. My problem it that my Del Sol has a replacement engine from Japan (D16B). I would assume that it is the larger 1.6L but what the hell do I know? Could my CEL be on because of a mis-match in the engine/MAP sensor or is it for sure bad it the CEL says so? Duuuuu, I have no idea. Ive heard I can possibly clean up the MAP sensor with carb spray and compressed air? Ya think? Doh, help the Noob!
Old 03-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Which MAP Sensor??? (newcut)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by newcut &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So...The CEL indicates #3 MAR Sensor. However there are 2 types available as far as I know, one is like 70$ and one is like 300$. There is one for the 1.6L engine and one for the 1.5L engine. My problem it that my Del Sol has a replacement engine from Japan (D16B). I would assume that it is the larger 1.6L but what the hell do I know? Could my CEL be on because of a mis-match in the engine/MAP sensor or is it for sure bad it the CEL says so? Duuuuu, I have no idea. Ive heard I can possibly clean up the MAP sensor with carb spray and compressed air? Ya think? Doh, help the Noob! </TD></TR></TABLE>

well....WHY is there a MAP sensor code? Did you just swap it? You could have switched the MAP and TPS plugs around. Check that first.

If that's not the issue, FIND OUT WHY THERE IS A MAP CODE.

Get out a volt meter and check the map sensor voltages:

yellow/red - 5V
green/white - ground
red/green = signal

measurements are taken from +signal -ground.
high voltage = low pressure (atmosphere is just under 3V)

So with the key in the on position and the car off, it should read around 3V. If the car is idling, it should read higher voltage. Somewhere around 5.

I got this info from another person. So it's not 100% verified...there could have been a typo or something. Either way, test you MAP.

If the readings are wack, then go to a junkyard, and pick up a MAP from either a OBD1 civic (EX/Si) or OBD2 civic (EX/Si). Or any 94-01 Integra.

Edit:

Before you do any of this, answer this question: Was your del sol an Si or a S to start with?

The S had a wall mounted MAP. You have to switch the wires around since your D15B map should be on the throttle body. The Del sol S MAP wiring is on it's own harness. IIRC, the pins at the ECU are different.

Old 03-05-2008, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Which MAP Sensor??? (B serious)

Thankya for that, and yes I have a D15B and not D16B as I posted above. The MAP is on the throttle body and not the firewall. The engine was swapped and I was told that the CEL has been on since that happened. I'm told that there could be a mis-match between the MAP and the computer. dammit!!
Old 03-05-2008, 11:34 AM

what are the TPS plugs? Doh!
Old 03-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your post is very unclear.

So you bought the car allready swapped? Has the MAP code always been on? Did it recently come on?

The TPS plug is the connector for the throttle position sensor (TPS). The MAP plug is the same shape and orientation as the TPS plug. It's a common practice for those to be switched around.

What were the events (if any) leading up to the MAP check engine light?

Be more specific. Type in a little background info. The more info, the better.
Old 03-06-2008, 04:53 AM

Default Re: Which MAP Sensor??? (B serious)

K, I bought the car with engine already swapped. CEL has been on for ever per the previous owner (still not the guy who swapped it). I found the issue, not the MAP, apparently the kid who blew the engine had messed with the ECU, something about electronic fuel adjustment. The wiring was put back to stock and the CEL is out, idle is back to normal and hopefully my gas mileage will return to more the 20MPG.