Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

major turbo problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default major turbo problems

long story short, i got a 96 civic ex with a d16y8 motor, and i built a turbo kit piece by piece for a good garage project. typical t3/t4 set up, nothin fancy. tried to start it for the first time today, and it started and i was happy...until i looked under the car. 2 big oil leaks. one from my sandwich plate, which isn't gonna be fun but won't be difficult to tighten things up, and another from a very odd place - my downpipe. i have a strange mix of oil/water coming out the exhaust of the turbo. now i know, neither water or oil should be there, and its a pretty hefty leak. i almost have to think the seal is bad inside the turbo between the bearing housing and the exhasut housing. thats my only explanation of oil being near there, but that still doesn't explain the water. radiator fluid was green as usual, no oil mixed in. anybody have idea whats going on here, cause i sure don't
Old 07-28-2006, 10:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: major turbo problems (CivicDude2k4)

I had this happen on my saab
Seals on the turbo were fucked.
Replace it with another

but where the expletive would water even come from
that makes no sense.
Old 07-28-2006, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: major turbo problems (CivicDude2k4)

Pull the exhast mani off and see if its dry, if theres water that i would invest in a new headgasket.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:25 AM

check the seals and the gaskets........the water could just be moisture buildup, has to be alot tho.......i would do this.....take off the turbo and manifold get new gaskets and seals and it should be good....also run a boost leak test......when i had a boost leak out of my intercooler pipe on my old eclipse i had moisture and oil on the outside of the leak...jus my 2 cents....good luck
Old 07-29-2006, 01:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SBFSLEEPY)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SBFSLEEPY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">check the seals and the gaskets........the water could just be moisture buildup, has to be alot tho.......i would do this.....take off the turbo and manifold get new gaskets and seals and it should be good....also run a boost leak test......when i had a boost leak out of my intercooler pipe on my old eclipse i had moisture and oil on the outside of the leak...jus my 2 cents....good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats alot of work on an if, Like I said, run the car to temp at idle, than shut it off, let it cool down to the point where you can handle the mani and turbo and. remove the mani and turbo and see if there is moisture in the mani. While its cooling off check the IC pipes and see if there is anything in them.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:33 AM

yeah but if u want to run safe get new gaskets and seals......my thing is to try and do it right the first time