Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Main Battery Fuse Keeps Popping

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Main Battery Fuse Keeps Popping

I got an EG Coupe and I'm away on a trip. I let my friend borrow my car and one day he said he was just driving normally and the car just shut off. So he checked all the proper fuses and nothing was blown UNTIL he looked at the main battery fuse that looks like a clear box with 2 screws on the ends... 80 amp was it? anyway, someone eventually came to his aid and went and bout him more fuses... he puts one in and immediately with the car off, POP, it blows...and stupid him leaves the other one on the car and a big gust of wind blows it onto the freeway... i've searched archived and recent databases and found nothing like this. Help me HT help me!
Old 06-09-2005, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Main Battery Fuse Keeps Popping (jspecb16hatch)

oh he also checked and there is no loose ground or no APPARENT big gauge power wire cut or just dangling around... i go back home in 3 days and will update with additional info if i can...
Old 06-09-2005, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

blown fuses are a result of a short to ground. check for any open power (B+) wires not shielded and could be going to ground.
have you done anything to the factory wiring?
Old 06-09-2005, 12:25 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (95dxhatch)

damn, man i just went through this bullshit.
i'm going to be almost 75% sure it's going to be your alternator.

I was doing an alternator belt install and accidentally touched the positive connector with metal and it ruined the rectifier in my alternator. All i seen was a spark and then i tried to turn my lights,car,anything there was power to nothing.. went to replace the 80amp battery fuse in the engine bay and as soon as it touched it popped. After i replaced the alternator all problems was solved and no more blown fuses.

Check and look at the alternator and see if the rubber boot is still covering the postive connection on the top of the alt. Something is touching and shorting that fuse out or has already shorted your alternator out.

Check all your grounds & power.
Old 06-09-2005, 02:05 PM

get 100 amp fuse. mine did it constistantly. Probably got to many electronics
Old 06-09-2005, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

really the alternator? wow never would have thought about that... i have a spare one lying around too!!! well i was thinking about trying a 100 amp fuse but didnt want something to actually be really wrong and end up frying the whole ecu... well, nothing has been done to the stock wiring but regular sounds.... ive done many many cars and it couldn't have been that. any other suggestions... if not i'm gonna try and change the alternator...
Old 06-09-2005, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (jspecb16hatch)

Info and specs about the car, mods will help us pin point the problem greatly.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: (turbo_b16_ex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turbo_b16_ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">get 100 amp fuse. mine did it constistantly. Probably got to many electronics </TD></TR></TABLE>
wrong answer........ if you put in a 100 amp fuse it is too much for the wiring. doing so will cause a nice meltdown/carfire.
do the correct troubleshooting and FIX the problem.
Old 06-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (integrator43)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by integrator43 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
wrong answer........ if you put in a 100 amp fuse it is too much for the wiring. doing so will cause a nice meltdown/carfire.
do the correct troubleshooting and FIX the problem. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly that's feeding fuel to the fire. Correctly troubleshoot the problem not increase it.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:11 PM

well if your running a turbo timer, 5 guages, vafc, and fuel pump off of your fuse boxes, its going to pull current through the fuse. The fused are intended to flow just the right amount, so any increase can cause it to pop. He never stated any kind of accessories that he could have. Any as for the 100 amp being too much, the power is still distributed and delivered through other fuses, thus woulnt cause it to melt down. And im also an electrician so there you go.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i wasnt about to go do the 100 amp fuse thing... but as for mods, basic bolt ons but here is the whole list

EJ1 Civic Coupe EX
DX Motor (previous owner blew the ex)
CAI
Test pipe w/ 2 1/4 piping with blitz nur spec microphone... lol it aint a muffler thats for sure...
Eclipse dvd flip out (av3423) with full sound system

I was thinking some of the wiring might be bad but the thing is i've never had a problem b4... but i forgot to put 1 BIG detail in... 2 days before my friend ran into this problem with my car i grazed a wall. im beginning to think that this is the cause of the problem. oh yeah and my friend told me recently that he found the starter wire was loose, the female end was popping off. he fixed this but never got a chance to test it after b/c no fuse. i probably just answered my own question but any input would help and it couldnt hurt either... thanks in advance
Old 06-10-2005, 08:23 AM

it does sound like u answered it. i would have guessed the alt wire loose or something shorted in the alt. be careful whenever tightening or loosening the stud on the alt as it can twist and cause these types of probs. i think the torque spec for this nut is approx 9-12 lbs.
check your email..... wiring diagram sent to aid in your troubleshooting. good luck!
Old 01-29-2022, 03:43 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Main Battery Fuse Keeps Popping

Originally Posted by spooncivicsi
I got an EG Coupe and I'm away on a trip. I let my friend borrow my car and one day he said he was just driving normally and the car just shut off. So he checked all the proper fuses and nothing was blown UNTIL he looked at the main battery fuse that looks like a clear box with 2 screws on the ends... 80 amp was it? anyway, someone eventually came to his aid and went and bout him more fuses... he puts one in and immediately with the car off, POP, it blows...and stupid him leaves the other one on the car and a big gust of wind blows it onto the freeway... i've searched archived and recent databases and found nothing like this. Help me HT help me!
What size screws go to the main battery fuse
Old 01-31-2022, 05:13 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Re: Main Battery Fuse Keeps Popping

Originally Posted by Waltsimp81
What size screws go to the main battery fuse
I think it's M4 x 0.7, but not 100% sure.