Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

LS will Idle, but wont drive...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon3 LS will Idle, but wont drive...

Its my first honda, and I have a swaped 93 EG DX, I got the car running, but as soon as i went to rev the motor, it sounds like it wont rev over 2000... All the injectors seem fine, all the spark plugs are throwing spark... Im throwing a code 3, 10, and 41, im not sure wtf is wrong... please help...
Old 07-05-2009, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: LS will Idle, but wont drive...

First off, Congrats on your LS Swap. I hope you like it once you get all the quirks worked out.

-What ECU are you running? Are you running the OBD1 P75 LS ECU? Also what year Teg did your engine come from?

-Code 3 is a Map Sensor problem, Check for loose wiring and make sure its wired correctly. A common mistake is getting the TPS(Throttle Position Sensor)and MAP Sensor backwards. The plugs for both are the same. Make sure the TPS Clip is going to the TPS and the MAP to the MAP. If you get them backwards it causes problems like you are describing. Or you MAP Sensor could be bad.

-Code 10 is the IAT(Intake Air Tempature Sensor). Again make sure this is correctly plugged in and the wiring is good. When I swapped my LS into my EJ1 this clip JUST BARELY made it to the sensor..I almost had to lenthen the wires to make it reach. This should be the white sensor plugged in to the intake manifold towards the right behind the #1 Cylinder.

-Code 41 Oxygen Sensor Heater, Check the wiring on that as well but this could very well be a bad O2 sensor. On your old D-Series engine the O2 plugged into the Header. As you know on the B-Series it will plug in just before the cat so therefore you have to lenthen the wires to make it reach. Make sure your connections are good.

-Timing, Get a timing light and just check your Igniton Timing..Jump the ECU terminal by the dash like you did when you pulled the codes and adjust the Distributor if need be to 16 Degrees BTDC. Also if you did a Timing Belt(which you should regardless so you know for sure its good, 50 bucks is better than bent valves or worse), But if you did do the T-Belt recheck your Cam Timing.

First thing I would check though is to make sure you don't have the TPS and MAP sensors plugged in backwards(IE:MAP plug going to TPS and TPS plug going to MAP).

GL
Old 07-05-2009, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Matt93eg
First off, Congrats on your LS Swap. I hope you like it once you get all the quirks worked out.

-What ECU are you running? Are you running the OBD1 P75 LS ECU? Also what year Teg did your engine come from?

-Code 3 is a Map Sensor problem, Check for loose wiring and make sure its wired correctly. A common mistake is getting the TPS(Throttle Position Sensor)and MAP Sensor backwards. The plugs for both are the same. Make sure the TPS Clip is going to the TPS and the MAP to the MAP. If you get them backwards it causes problems like you are describing. Or you MAP Sensor could be bad.

-Code 10 is the IAT(Intake Air Tempature Sensor). Again make sure this is correctly plugged in and the wiring is good. When I swapped my LS into my EJ1 this clip JUST BARELY made it to the sensor..I almost had to lenthen the wires to make it reach. This should be the white sensor plugged in to the intake manifold towards the right behind the #1 Cylinder.

-Code 41 Oxygen Sensor Heater, Check the wiring on that as well but this could very well be a bad O2 sensor. On your old D-Series engine the O2 plugged into the Header. As you know on the B-Series it will plug in just before the cat so therefore you have to lenthen the wires to make it reach. Make sure your connections are good.

-Timing, Get a timing light and just check your Igniton Timing..Jump the ECU terminal by the dash like you did when you pulled the codes and adjust the Distributor if need be to 16 Degrees BTDC. Also if you did a Timing Belt(which you should regardless so you know for sure its good, 50 bucks is better than bent valves or worse), But if you did do the T-Belt recheck your Cam Timing.

First thing I would check though is to make sure you don't have the TPS and MAP sensors plugged in backwards(IE:MAP plug going to TPS and TPS plug going to MAP).

GL
Im running a p28, for the simple reason, i want to do a LS/Vtec Turbo... and its an obd1 94... Umm, what ill do is take a pic of the plugs, and load them so u can see them... but i went ahead and got a Skunk2 intake mani (i know i cant use it on the Vtec head, but it was cheap lol), so the the sensor is ontop of the intake mani (lol, i thought it a funny place....)... if u like I could pay for ur gas since ur only in concord, i live just outside gastonia, u can try to see if u could get it running right...
Old 07-05-2009, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KillerEG
Im running a p28, for the simple reason, i want to do a LS/Vtec A... and its an obd1 94... Umm, what ill do is take a pic of the plugs, and load them so u can see them... but i went ahead and got a Skunk2 intake mani (i know i cant use it on the Vtec head, but it was cheap lol), so the the A is ontop of the intake mani (lol, i thought it a funny place....)... if u like I could pay for ur gas since ur only in concord, i live just outside gastonia, u can try to see if u could get it running right...

PM Sent.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:10 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

If its a '93 DX it will have a firewall mounted MAP sensor, make sure you plug the harness that goes to the this MAP sensor into the throttlebody mounted MAP sensor on the engine.
Old 07-05-2009, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by 94EG8
If its a '93 DX it will have a firewall mounted MAP sensor, make sure you plug the harness that goes to the this MAP sensor into the throttlebody mounted MAP sensor on the engine.
NO ****!!!! REALLY!!!! i thought it was nessasary to run the stock PO6 cause im running a p26
Old 07-05-2009, 05:20 PM

any other ideas???
Old 07-06-2009, 08:39 AM

bump
Old 07-07-2009, 08:20 AM

come on, no one else??
Old 07-07-2009, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have the tps and map plugs backwards. I have seen a lot of people that get them mixed up. Just try swapping them around
Old 07-07-2009, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ef-hatchcrap
Do you have the A and map plugs backwards. I have seen a lot of people that get them mixed up. Just try swapping them around

I had already mentioned that in my first reply up top...although the OP never answered the question as to whether he had tried changing the plugs around or not.