Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

LS/Vtec Help

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS/Vtec Help

I'm getting a 1992 B18 LS engine and i want to do an LS/Vtec conversion does anyone have any links for how to's on this? and i own a 2000 civic so i was wondering what i need to do to make it passable for NYS inspection since the motor is not OBD2 i was wondering if i could get an OBD2 ECU and still have it pass?

Last edited by EK Ryda; 08-16-2009 at 09:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS/Vtec Help

http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/lsvtec/lsvtec.php

Not sure about the NY laws, but if you are concerned with keeping it OBD2 use an OBD2 harness, certain accessories will have different connectors such as the alternator, dizzy etc. But you can use this block, OBD2 accys and sensors and obd2 ECU you shouldn't have issues with smog
Old 08-20-2009, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok, i dont know much about the NY laws, but ill just skip to the part where the motor is already dropped in. your gonna need an obd1 - obd2a jumper harness, depending on what kind of head and ecu your gonna be running, your gonna need one that bypasses the knock sensor. a 92 ls block (b18a1) doesnt have a knock sensor, and if you plan on going b18a1 block with a b18c1 while running a p72 ecu(which requires a knock sensor) your gonna need to chip it(the ecu) so it bypasses the knock sensor. otherwise, vtec wont x over.

of course, i could be wrong. i havent been in the honda scene for too long, but thats the problems im having with my ls-v swap into my 96 hatch. good luck on your swap man
Old 08-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by .hawaii
ok, i dont know much about the NY laws, but ill just skip to the part where the motor is already dropped in. your gonna need an obd1 - obd2a jumper harness, depending on what kind of head and ecu your gonna be running, your gonna need one that bypasses the knock sensor. a 92 ls block (b18a1) doesnt have a knock sensor, and if you plan on going b18a1 block with a b18c1 while running a p72 ecu(which requires a knock sensor) your gonna need to chip it(the ecu) so it bypasses the knock sensor. otherwise, vtec wont x over.

of course, i could be wrong. i havent been in the honda scene for too long, but thats the problems im having with my ls-v swap into my 96 hatch. good luck on your swap man
If you look at the link I posted it discusses the knock sensor issue. On my last LS/VTEC build I did exactly as they discuss on that site. Remove a bolt from the alternator bracket, tap it and install the knock sensor there. Worked perfect.

You could use all OBD1 stuff and an OBD1-OBD2 jumper harness as you said. Or you could use an OBD2 head (or OBD1 head with OBD2 sensors and accys). Most of the sensors are the same clip and design from OBD1-OBD2. The big things are alternator and dizzy. But there is no problem keeping the whole setup OBD2 so you can pass NY smog.

I've been building Hondas for over a decade so I'm kind of a vet in the scene I guess.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:21 PM

Thanks guys this is a ton of info i hope i dont f it up since this is my daily driver!!
Old 08-25-2009, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It is fairly easy to do. How ever im not sure how New York works but here in CT if you jump to obd1 it's an automatic fail for emissions. So stay obd2. The one problem you will have is this...which is also a very easy fix...

http://www.ff-squad.com/technet/ckftrick.htm

As far as the knock sensor like said above you can do it like he was saying by the alternator.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

for the swap its very straight forward, just get the correct dowls, studs, gasket and oil line. and tap one of the oil passages on the head, wire up your vtec and your good to go.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:31 PM
Trial User

hi c i was woundering if someone can help me with my ls swap its my frist swap project.its a 92 DA b18a1 with p72 head with a p28 ECU im using stock 92 harness,stock 94,95 gsr pistons i had to get it bored over not sure to wat to fit my b18a1 motor, i kept the stock crankshaft,95 gsr injecters,95 gsr dis plugs rith up.but i dnt know the rules if that can be done.i dropped it in it starts but it seem like i dnt have the wight gasket for it .wright now i have the 95 head gasket to b18a1 i dnt think thats is wright.if some can help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please help someone.im trying to get here running again its been awhile everybody knows how that feels like.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by laosta
hi c i was woundering if someone can help me with my ls swap its my frist swap project.its a 92 DA b18a1 with p72 head with a p28 ECU im using stock 92 harness,stock 94,95 gsr pistons i had to get it bored over not sure to wat to fit my b18a1 motor, i kept the stock crankshaft,95 gsr injecters,95 gsr dis plugs rith up.but i dnt know the rules if that can be done.i dropped it in it starts but it seem like i dnt have the wight gasket for it .wright now i have the 95 head gasket to b18a1 i dnt think thats is wright.if some can help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please help someone.im trying to get here running again its been awhile everybody knows how that feels like.
you have to make your own thread if you want help. this is considered "thread jacking"
make your own thread and that way people can always write on it and you can ask any questions you might have

as far as this thread goes i have an issue with my crank position sensor (CKF) which you might also have if youre trying to bar it.
http://technet.ff-squad.com/ckftrick.htm
here is a link that i found havent had a chance to do it but if i do ill let you know how it goes
my setup is a obd1 block in an obd2a car btw