Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

LS motor rear main seal gone, white exhaust smoke?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 01:14 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS motor rear main seal gone, white exhaust smoke?

So my rear main seal started pissin oil on my clutch and now the car shoots some kinda thick white smoke from the exhaust. The guy I bought it from told me a week ago gas started pouring from the intake and the car died. The dumb *** didn't have one of the spark plug wires hooked up. So like I said rear main seal seems to be gone and I pissed a bit of oil, yet when I check the dipstick it reads like 3qts too high? Does anyone think this is why my rear main seal was leaking? Should I go ahead and replace the engine oil and fill to the proper level and try to drive it, see if she still leaks? Or should I just drop the trans right away and replace the seal? I already have the seal so I was planning on doing this sson anyway. Just don't feel like dropping a tranny tomorrow.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you have 3 quarts to much oil in your car that's not a good thing.....and also probably why it's smoking.....I say drain the excess out and see if it still smokes...
Old 04-25-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: (shiftgear8000)

white smoke means your burning coolant, which it sounds like you have a blown head gasket. if you were burning oil it would be black smoke. the tranny has nothing to do with what color smoke your burning
Old 04-25-2005, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: LS motor rear main seal gone, white exhaust smoke? (HondaFanatic708)

smoke coming out of the exhaust is not caused by a main seal leaking-you're consuming oil internally.white smoke is coolant,however oil smoke is blue(black smoke is fuel).sometimes it can be hard to distinguish between oil and coolant smoke.
you definitely need to drain the oil and refill it to the proper level.
chris
Old 04-25-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Re: LS motor rear main seal gone, white exhaust smoke? (TeamNextGenChris)

After a little more investigating I discovered that the reason the level reads high is because I have like a 1/2 and 1/2 mix of oil and fuel in the oil pan. One quick sniff of the dipstick told me that. I'm thinking and hoping I won't need to change the rear main seal quiet yet. Hoping the thinned oil and the high level is causing any leaking...
Old 04-25-2005, 05:39 PM
Mr. Indecisive

Default Re: LS motor rear main seal gone, white exhaust smoke? (HondaFanatic708)

oil n fuel mix doesnt sound good
Old 04-25-2005, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS motor rear main seal gone, white exhaust smoke? (CoupeVtec2k)

ya, thats a good sign of bad rings also. (blowby) Honestly id say start looking for another motor. Odds are the bearings got messed up due to all the gas in the oil. Change the oil ASAP before you obtain a rod knock.

LS motors are cheap, and its easy to swap engines if you have the tools. if not, thats a different story.

Also, how did the gas get dumped down the intake?
Old 04-25-2005, 06:21 PM

White smoke is oil, I had bad rings on my engine before i rebuilt it. Try draining that oil to the proper level on the dip stick and if that doesn't work, change that stupid seal
Old 04-25-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: LS motor rear main seal gone, white exhaust smoke? (Boosted Bondo Spot)

damn that sucks hope you ger her fixed
Old 04-25-2005, 06:46 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: LS motor rear main seal gone, white exhaust smoke? (Boosted Bondo Spot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boosted Bondo Spot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">White smoke is oil, I had bad rings on my engine before i rebuilt it. Try draining that oil to the proper level on the dip stick and if that doesn't work, change that stupid seal</TD></TR></TABLE>

No it's not.

White smoke is coolant.

So
A) you are getting blow by and ending up with fuel in your oil (but it doesn't explain the white smoke).
B) you blew a headgasket, and you are getting coolant mixed with oil. (this explains the white smoke)
Old 04-26-2005, 09:57 AM

Default Re: LS motor rear main seal gone, white exhaust smoke? (ABK)

The smoke was actually more a dim blue (it was night time) after I ran the motor for like 5 mins the smoke went away completely and hasn't come back. The person I bought it from drove the car for like 30 minutes with 3 out of 4 spark plug wires hooked up. He told me gas was actually pouring OUT of the intake. So he must have flooded the cylinder so much it filled the oil pan, then had no where else to go but up and out the intake manifold. The engine is fine, no worries there. No blown HG (compression and leak down all check out fine) But this morning I noticed a few drops of trans fluid coming from behind the inspection cover. Looks like I'm pulling the trans again so that new rear main seal is going in.. So I most likely have to replace the oil seal for the main shaft, PN#91216-PH8-005 which would entail pulling the whole trans apart. I really don't feel like doing this... Anyone got any ideas??

Modified by HondaFanatic708 at 2:07 PM 4/26/2005
Old 08-13-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: (B18C1 Del Sol soon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C1 Del Sol soon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">white smoke means your burning coolant</TD></TR></TABLE>

white smoke is actually burning tranny fluid. steam is coolant. just to let you know. you can tell the difference because steam dissipates quickly while smoke is thick and hangs around
Old 08-17-2005, 11:10 PM

i have the same problem with white smoke...

does cable tranny run off tranny fluid?

could blown head gasket be caused by miss shifting into the wrong gear? example 2nd to 1st