Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Lowering Springs Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2003, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering Springs Question

hey, just wondering is using a spring compressor all that hard? ive decided im going to do the work on installing my springs, cause ive been told its very easy. And any advice in waht i should do/try to avoid. The only thing im worried about are my control arms being seized. Thanks
Old 08-26-2003, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Lowering Springs Question (Nader_D)

No its not hard at all, things you should look out before doing it is. The back bottom bolt, getting it loose seems to be a problem people have. And getting the bolt to go back in also seems to be a problem people have. Have a couple jacks handy, so you can jack the rear control arm or shock up so you can get that bolt back threw.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:02 PM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

Default Re: Lowering Springs Question (90blackcrx)

i would suggest air tools for loosening crap its a lot easier and you dont need a spring compressor...you can use one but you dont really need it.....you can also use air tools for tightening but i would suggest tightening by hand good luck mate
Old 08-26-2003, 10:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lowering Springs Question (ciRcuitSi y0!)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ciRcuitSi y0! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i would suggest air tools for loosening crap its a lot easier and you dont need a spring compressor...you can use one but you dont really need it.....you can also use air tools for tightening but i would suggest tightening by hand good luck mate</TD></TR></TABLE>

You don't need a spring compressor ? What do you use ? You actually should not have to buy one, goto your local auto zone and rent one.

Modified by 90blackcrx at 1:22 AM 8/27/2003
Old 08-26-2003, 10:24 PM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You don't need a spring compressor ? What do you use ? You actually should not have to buy one, goto your local auto zone and rent one.

Modified by 90blackcrx at 1:22 AM 8/27/2003</TD></TR></TABLE>two ways...put the shock up to a wall and put a tire on top of the shock with a person standing on top of the tire while you loosen the top nut until it shoots of hitting the wall...not reccomended...second way ...get an air gun and just put your foot on the shock and spring while you loosen the nut with the gun...pops off ...all of the force either goes into the gun or the nut is taken off so fast that it just releases with just a small amount of force
Old 08-26-2003, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ciRcuitSi y0! &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">two ways...put the shock up to a wall and put a tire on top of the shock with a person standing on top of the tire while you loosen the top nut until it shoots of hitting the wall...not reccomended...second way ...get an air gun and just put your foot on the shock and spring while you loosen the nut with the gun...pops off ...all of the force either goes into the gun or the nut is taken off so fast that it just releases with just a small amount of force</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok neither of those sound really safe, why not just rent the free tool ? I have actually heard bad stories about the spring flying off and almost killing the kid. Do it right the first time or pay someone to do it for you.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:33 PM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 90blackcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ok neither of those sound really safe, why not just rent the free tool ? I have actually heard bad stories about the spring flying off and almost killing the kid. Do it right the first time or pay someone to do it for you.</TD></TR></TABLE>i agree the 1st way isnt safe..but with an compressor and air gun i feel 100% safe
Old 08-26-2003, 10:36 PM

Ok neither of those sound really safe, why not just rent the free tool ? I have actually heard bad stories about the spring flying off and almost killing the kid. Do it right the first time or pay someone to do it for you.</TD></TR></TABLE>trust me. Circuit Si's examples of using a tire and standing on it, and using air tools were both done with me. It was much much safer using the power tools and simple having someone secure the spring down so it doesnt move, (just by standing on it, ir putting one foot on it).he and i installed springs on my car using the power tools and it took about 80% less time than it did installing them using hand power and tire balancing. and the drill just pops off the top like nothing, just a sudden pop and thats it. i felt no danger involved at all. unlike the first method where on the tire i was jolted back a little and potentially could have lost my balance, or a tool could have jammed into someones hand. The power tool method was very very fast, efficient, and safe.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lowering Springs Question (ApexiSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ApexiSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">trust me. Circuit Si's examples of using a tire and standing on it, and using air tools were both done with me. It was much much safer using the power tools and simple having someone secure the spring down so it doesnt move, (just by standing on it, ir putting one foot on it).he and i installed springs on my car using the power tools and it took about 80% less time than it did installing them using hand power and tire balancing. and the drill just pops off the top like nothing, just a sudden pop and thats it. i felt no danger involved at all. unlike the first method where on the tire i was jolted back a little and potentially could have lost my balance, or a tool could have jammed into someones hand. The power tool method was very very fast, efficient, and safe.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok, I'm not saying it would not work. I'm saying just rent a spring compressor and do it the safe and right way.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:47 PM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

Ok, I'm not saying it would not work. I'm saying just rent a spring compressor and do it the safe and right way.</TD></TR></TABLE> i wouldnt go as far as to say that the compressor method isnt safe..but in the "books" it may not be the right way
Old 08-26-2003, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

take a towel wrap it really really tightly around the spring get a 5 gallon bucket and but a towel in the bottom of that have one persone perfebly a large person stand on the spring wraped in a towel and then place the 5 gallon bucket in front of the bolt and loosen not much force is expanded here

however if you are using lowering spring they might not be shortenough and you will have to compress them to get the strut back together, i have never had this problem cause i have always used slevels and short springs
Old 08-27-2003, 12:19 AM

ive lowered a good number of cars and i found it easy w/out a spring compressor or air tools
Old 08-27-2003, 12:47 AM
TSPeed Factory

Default Re: (frosteg6)

yea, everything is pretty straight forward. you basically just take it apart and put it back together with the new springs in. just remember to cut the bumpstops.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:03 AM

Default Re: (AzntaggeR)

hey, thanks alot, i wasnt going to buy the compressor obviosuly i was just gonna rent it from the hardware store. I have a Haynes (Helms to the states) manual and it shows me all the steps i need to get access to the springs/shock. i dont have access to air tools, and the other methods people were describing about towels, and buckets, and tires etc.. scare me just a little (i can just picture a spring ripping my head off) so im gonna check out how much other shops will chrage me to isntall and if its $$ then im gonna do it w/ a friend. sorry for the story but meh..its late and im tired..

thanks

Old 08-28-2003, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Nader_D)

people underestimate the power of a spring . . . I used to work for a spring MFG company that made relatively small springs and new a lot of machine operators with missing finger tips. I can imagine the force of a really big spring. Just do it the right way

Steve