Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Lower support woes.

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lower support woes.

I'm not even sure what the piece is call but here goes. I have a 93 Civic VX. I'm trying to take my front LCA's off so I can swap some in from an EX along with the OEM sway bar. Everything came apart as well as expected on a former beach car with a major snag in the last bolt.

The last bolt that holds the LCA on (on the same piece my steering rack is bolted to) started to free spin. Wonderful. (/sarcasm) I cut a piece of metal off through the bottom so that I can put a wrench on the nut and I am able to take the nut off. As I am taking it off I notice that the bushing on the LCA has broken and is spinning too. It appears that the bolt is seized in the metal collar.

I cut the head of the bolt off and ground it down so that I could hammer it through and it still will not even budge.

If anyone has any ideas as to how I could remove it all help would be appreciated.

On a side note. Is this lower piece able to be swapped to one from a 4 door of the same 92-95 body style, or would I need one from a coupe/hatch? If so. I will be off the junkyard tommorow morning for one.

Pictures will be up shortly.
Old 04-29-2007, 05:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Lower support woes. (JShull)

hondas are notorious for this... you will need to cut the bolt out the best you can and you will end up needing to replace the bushings.. i just want through this on the rear, my front was fine thankfully... just cut away do not try to cut anmore of the chassis though... and the 4dr arm will work for you no worries
Old 04-29-2007, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Lower support woes. (92SiBlu)

funny that you did this cause i recommended this to someone when i first signed up and some online mechanic basically called me retarted for cutting a small access hole in the subframe. If the lower bolt doesn't wanna move use a sawzall or whatever it's called and stick the blade between the sub-frame and the control arm and cut the bolt out it'll just drop right out. you'll never be able to remove the the bolt from the bushing it's seized in there for good. good luck! hope all turns out well
Old 04-29-2007, 09:08 PM

Well with a few more hours behind me I got it out. I went back to hammering on it but this time with a Big F'ing hammer and a better punch. I was able to beat it in enough that I could tilt the LCA and pull it free of the bushing. After the LCA was out the bolt dropped right out.

Fun Stuff.

Thanks for the help guys.

Oh yea I forgot. I don't think the sawzall would have worked real well...the damn bolt was hardened steel haha. I managed to dull a hacksawblade before I took out my cut-off wheel.